Sign in to follow this  
Sidney Schwartz

Is "MyTraffic" the right choice for me? Advice sought..

I am thinking about downloading MyTraffic. Is it as simple as clicking the .exe to instal and use, or does it create a raft of new issues for users? I just want something simple I can load up and play with but I thought I'd post here to ask if it really is as simple and effective as it bills itself as being. I am a plain vanilla traffic user and do not plan to spend my life editing, using AFCAD or Traffic Tools or whatever. All I want is more action on the screen. Will I be downloading the right thing or will I be risking a PC-FS configuration nightmare?Appreciate posts, thanks!JS

Guest frankcubillos

It will fit the bill nicely, it truely is a one button set-up. It also helps support ProjectAI and keep it freeware..Burkhard did a great job with MT, highly recommended.---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize PAI sig banner here.

I loved MyTraffic when it first came out because I was never able to get PAI to work on my system and I, too, didn't want to edit files by hand. Instantly, it populates the planet with a pretty good assortment of AI planes. Unfortunately, though, I found the multiple runways chewed up way too much PC power. Also, PAI came out with a new installer system that is almost as easy. I just wish they would add airlines in a more timely fashion. At this point, I give PAI the edge though.David

Guest HansGroenewold

JS,I would recommend My Traffic, I have it on my PC. I was tired of constantly trying to get Project AI to work properly. Don't get me wrong as it is a great product and service, it just didn't work well for me. I got My Traffic just because, like you, I wanted more action and didn't want to go through a lot of pain and procedures to get it.My Traffic was very simple to download and install. I'm not concerned that the schedules may not be real, I just wanted to see more planes at my airports and My Traffic does this just fine. I did remove all Project AI related stuff before installing and keep my ATC slider maxed to the right. The ATC slider in FS2002 will limit the type and amount of planes that show up in My Traffic. Get it, it's a product that does what it says.Sincerely,Hans

Guest frankcubillos

>I just wish they would add airlines >in a more timely fashion. At this point, I give PAI the edge >though. >David PAI's 1st Birthday is Jan. 27th, we have a big celebration planned. Hope you have broadband! ;-)2003 will be another banner year for PAI, lots of cool "stuff" in the Skunk Works Department :-lol---Banners? We don't need no stinkin' banners!---Visualize PAI sig banner here.

Personally, since I just recently installed the heavies via PAI new installers, it gave me the notion to go in and learn how it all worked and install the other plans that were not availbale yet, thanks to the master files at PAI and other flightplans on the web. I have more traffic than I need now, but it is nice seeing the variety and I can control every aspect of it (to a degree). AITM is a great utlity for knowing about your AI! Regards, Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

Thanks, all, for jumping in and posting. Looks great.One other question:does MT delete the default AI aircraft and traffic totally or does it overwrite the default AI traffic?Thanks again and looks as if I shall be ordering MT later today at this rate!!!JS

JS,not sure about that really but you will no longer see those stupid LANDMARK (nor the other fake airlines) planes.

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

jerrycwo4My vote for MT also. The other method was too complex for me to try to learn and MT replaces all of the default AI with real airlines. I adjusted the full power of my computer by having all of the setting like before I got MT then I put the aircraft that I fly the most, at the airport that I fly to and from the most and with the aircraft in the "Screw" (key "Y") mode I tested the AI percentages all the way from zero to 100%. About every 10-20 % of AI will change your FPS. When I reached a FPS of about 12 ( for taxing) and 15 for approach) that's the percentage of AI that I stuck with. I stuck with my AI =40%. This gave me my MINIMUNs of FPS that I wanted and would still give me about 30 aircraft at KLAX and FPS of about 23-25 (locked at 25) the rest of the time. "My Traffic" was the answer for me, not that the other method wasn't as good, it was jsut too hard to learn and too involved. I'm also going to get My Traffic's Editor and see how it works.jerry

>"All I want is more action on the screen"If this is all you want then MyTraffic works fine. It is a solid one-button solution. I, however, was disappointed (and no longer use it) because:(1) Did not support RAFCAD. Couldn't stand the "random" gate assignments.(2) Was fairly arbitrary about what airline when to what city. Air France at KPDX?(3) Did not support all local airlines (no QXE at KPDX).I know there have been a rather regular flow of updates/service packs, but I chose instead to create my own traffic files. I would think (1) and (2) would be a fairly easy fix, but at the time there didn't seem to be any interest from MyTraffic to do such. I do know that (3) has been improved.One other thing to keep in mind is to replace your PAI aircraft with the excellent ai aardvark airplanes where applicable.

My Traffic is a nice addon, worth the price for sure. It's pretty much install and forget it. A couple of things I've noticed with MYT though that you should be aware of:1) As was pointed out, AFCAD and MYT don't get along.2) Around busy airports the number of planes is a real system drag, really have to lower the percentage bar. (using a 1.5 P4 and Ti4600).3)Conflicts slightly with FS RealTime.4) When using 3rd party weather makers, alot of AI flights are kicked over to VFR flight because of altitude busting.Overall its a great program, it's nice to hear Alaska flights in Alaska, SouthWest out of Hobby ect.

jerrycwo4 I didn't know about My Traffic and AFCAD not getting along but I have NOT tried the AFCAD where it adds alot of gates. I have my system running at full bore and to keep my FPS of 23-25 ( locked @25) and 15 on approaches ( NOT KLAX) and taxing 10-12(NOT KLAX), I cann't add too much more 'frame killers'. So I have a lot of planes 'parked out in the open'...Oh well, cann't have everything. I spent $7500.00 (US ) last year on my present computer it it will NOT run EVERYTHING at full bore !! jerry

say I am primarily interested in the General Avaition traffic at second or even third tier airports. How good is MyTraffic for something like that ?Michael J.

I use MyTraffic and like it, but it has far less ga traffic than commercial traffic. If you fly mostly at smaller airports you may be happier with something else. There's a freeware program called GA Traffic Maker...you should be able to find it here on Avsim or on Flightsim.comSidney Schwartz [KPDX]MyTraffic/Radar Contact/FSMeteo/FSSE/FSassist/FDCHorizon Flights--flight plans and scenery for FS2002http://sidneyschwartz.homestead.com/index.html