Sign in to follow this  
Guest d809dp

Suggested computer for FSX

Guest d809dp

Hi There!I'm just looking at buying this computer for FSX - I'm upgrading from and old 1.7GHz machine... I don't need to be on the cutting edge of modern technology, but I want to be able to run FSX at 30fps with a few addons and ActiveSky.Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 / GeF 9500 GT 512 MB4 GB DDR2 800 / 500 GB SATA II / 20x DVD-RW DL I've read in this forum that the processor is more important than the graphics card, so I've focussed on putting my money there. I can get another card later if needed.I know there are better computers out there but like I say, budget is important. Is there anything I should look out for here? Any hidden traps?Many thanks,Tom

Hi Tom, looks like a nice build 'cept I'd grab an 8800GT over the 9500 and from what I've seen lately, you might only have to spend about $20.00 more - if that - but will be well woth it. Make sure you have a quality PSU too. Regards, Kendall#1: E8500 @ 3.95 - HyperTX2 Gigabyte P35-DS3L 4GB Ballistix Tracers PC6400 EVGA 8800GT - XG's 174.74 Seagate 250GB 7200.11 CH Yoke/Pedals/Saitek Throttle Dual Monitor: Dell 2405/1905 #2: Dell 8400 3.2 H.T. 3GB PC4200 - X800XT Diamond Xtreme/Logitech X-530's

Regards, Kendall

Guest d809dp

Hi Kendall,Thanks for your help. The PSU is:Leistung: 500 Watt Fan: 1x 80mm Connector for 3,5"-driveConnector for 5,25"-driveConnector for ATX: 20/24polIs that going to be ok?Many thanks,Tom

Guest JIMJAM

A computer is just a box full of parts.Ive seen some impressive looking stats and wonder how they can sell it so cheaply.Well they have to cut corners.If this is a store bought or online ready to run out the box with a name on it, Google it and find some reviews.Some are truly good deals while others are thrown together,use outdated motherboards with little or no chance to being upgraded,cheap ram,powersupply,....My good freind owns a computer store and custom builds systems.Generally using namebrand,current hardware he can easily beat online/store systems prices and best part is if you have problems, you can just carry it a few miles to be worked on.Also most do not need a new monitor,keyboard,disc drives,sound card so I can rob that hardware,put them in my new system and spend that saved money on the mob, proc and faster ram.My advice is first try to find a local seller who can also work and stand behind his computers and second, Google,Newegg ect the namebrand,components and see what owners have to say.

If not overclocking I'd go for the E8500 or the E8600 - the faster the CPU the better for FSXAlso I'd get a 8800GT or 9800GT instead of the 9500I take it you're going with Vista 64bit with the 4GB of RAM?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |