Sign in to follow this  
Jerel

Assistance with New Computer

Guest djt01

>More Vcard than an 8800GT will not help FS in any way.So let

DJT, What settings are you using in FS? Do you have everything full right with your 280? That includes 100% AI. What type of frame rates are you getting? I don't need to see photos, if you can explain it by typing thats cool. I don't want to purchase this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143136 if I need to go to a 280. I know FS9andFSX are cpu dependent but I want consistency. When youre adding in scenery, AI, mesh, detailed weather from activesky landing in a airport like eham or kjfk youre taxing the system. I havent used the 8800 or 280 yet in person so i am trying to make a decision here.Sam, I appreciate your help but I need more than fs cant use anything more than a 8800... I need data and facts.Thanks,Jerel

I forgot to add this is what I am going with::# LIAN LI, Classical PC-A10 Silver Mid-Tower Case, ATX, No PSU, Aluminum# PC POWER & COOLING, Silencer

Guest djt01

>DJT, What settings are you using in FS? Do you have>everything full right with your 280? Jerel,No, not every option is to the right; there is no CPU out there that is going to allow you turn every option to its maximum setting in FSX. All you can do is shoot for a combination of components that will allow for a consistent frame rate, even with heavy weather effects.

DJT, regarding what you've seen in FS9 are you able to go everything right w the 280?

Nick, I am thinking FS9 primarily on my setup. Also, Battlefield2 and CallofDuty4. What are your thoughts regarding a FS9 setup and those other games? Thank you for your input. It is much appreciated. Jerel

Guest djt01

Jerel,You just got a much better response from Nick than you did from me, so far from my experience with the ATI 4870X2, 8800 Ultra and the GTX 280 I would second that advice.That said if you

Guest Nick_N

FS9 and FSX are 2 different animals.. the quad in that case is not going to help much other than being able to manually assign 3PD addons like weather engines and other programs you may wish to run along side FS9. You do not need a Ultra or 280 to run FS9 although either card would do the job quite nicely.The 280 is a good card on the right driver and it will scoot by the 8800 by a long shot in games other than FSX so if it is your desire to put together a system to play games as listed and perhaps a few new titles later I would take djt01's advice and go with the 280. Its definitely overkill for FS9 but in the long run it will most likely provide you a much more satisfying experience.

Nick,Thank you for your insight. I am leaning towards the 280 because I want this system to last for a little while. When the times comes that I do install FSX on the box I want to be able to enjoy and not have to take out the 8800 and spend more money. I'd rather spend a little more now and future proof the box per se. Battlefield 2 and CallofDuty4 will also go on this machine.I forgot ... one more question. Does having two monitors (specifically a 28" and a 22" viewsonic LCD) connected to a vid card (i.e. 8800 or the 280) put more strain on the card. I was thinking about doing a dual monitor setup and I forgot to mention that in the previous post.Thanks!JerelDJT, thanks for your reply also!

Guest djt01

>Also,Battlefield2 and CallofDuty4. What are your thoughts>regarding a FS9 setup and those other games? Jerel,Here

Guest Nick_N

Good choice... for your needs that card will give you a lot of enjoyment and you are correct, you wont be buying again for a while2 monitors are no problem whats so ever for either the ultra or the 280... you are good to goCheck with Djt01 for driver selection.. hes been conducting tests which tend to confirm what I have been reading that the latest Nv release has done good things for that card.

Guest djt01

>DJT, regarding what you've seen in FS9 are you able to go>everything right w the 280?Jerel,I

I am definitely going with the E8600. I have 100% AI on my FX57 and obviously some airports are a no go as far as flying. It would be nice to be able to run that much AI and still be able to takeoff and land without a stutter show. ;)

Guest djt01

>I forgot ... one more question. Does having two monitors>(specifically a 28" and a 22" viewsonic LCD) connected to a>vid card (i.e. 8800 or the 280) put more strain on the card. >I was thinking about doing a dual monitor setup and I forgot>to mention that in the previous post.Jerel,The 8800 GTX, Ultra and the 280 GTX are all up to the