Sign in to follow this  
Mark_A

NVIDIA Control Panel Settings

Thanks, I saw you screenshots before, they look great, you use a different card though so there may be a difference there.

Guest djt01

>Thanks, I saw you screenshots before, they look great, you>use a different card though so there may be a difference>there.>>marka,You won

>>Have you tried just using the Nvidia control panel without>nHancer?>>Yep, I've tried everything possible, each time doing a full>rebuild, I'm totally lost at what's going on there. I can tell>straight away what the shimmer will be like when FSX loads the>free flight page and my stomach just sinks. A lot of people>recommed ticking AA in FSX but I've never found that to work>that well, I always leave it unticked.Mark,Did you try the settings as listed previously in the post? Enabling AA and ansiotropic filtering in FSX combined with the control panel settings?Vista64 is not XP. Hence, what worked well in XP and did not work well in XP, may not work well Vista64 and may work well in Vista64.I hope you at least gave the previous suggestions a try.

Guest Nick_N

It was AA = COMBINED 8xS andNegative LOD = CLAMPThat gets rid of most of the shimmer, that and making sure your running FSX at the same as the desktop res settingsAlso, you can not run Window Mode without checking AA in FSX or it will shimmer. This was true with XP, with Vista I did hear that would not work at one time. May have changed now with drivers.Vsync issues in Vista can bring on shimmer... 'force on' should lock it but again you must be in full screen and not window modeIn Vista you must also be on the 174.74 driver or above with the Vista SP1 update or Vsync and AA will not work correctly. There is a WHQL flag placed in drivers after the SP1 update to make them work right with the Vista changesYou are not the first to report problems with Vista.. it can be hit and miss. Some report no problem and others just live with the issues.I helped someone at F1 who was setting up a demo using FSX and Vista some time ago and we just gave up and installed XP after trying several differnt ways to combat the AA and Vsync issues with the demo parameters. Just was not worth the headache.

Guest djt01

>You are not the first to report problems with Vista.. it can>be hit and miss. Some report no problem and others just live>with the issues.Nick, that

Guest Nick_N

>>You are not the first to report problems with Vista.. it>can>>be hit and miss. Some report no problem and others just live>>with the issues.>>Nick, that

Guest djt01

>I can not comment on why because I never wasted my time trying>to figure it out>>if it ain't broke, don

Guest Nick_N

forums are full of opinionsmany of them are influenced by the persons decision to switch and defend their reason in a forumI know there have been changeslike I said, I will look into it when the right time comes along. Its simply not the right time for me. I have too many things that must take priority right now to start messing with Vista again for FSX.however, I do have it installed for checking out hardware as needed. I simply do not use it for FSX. It's used for other purposes right now. Next gen platform changes may dictate a switch. If that is the case I may dive into it then.And I do have engineering applications and other software I use that are better suited for XP x64. FSX or games is not the only thing I use a computer for. So the move, if it happens, will be in stages and at the right time.

Guest djt01

>forums are full of opinions>>many of them are influenced by the persons decision to switch>and defend their reason>>>like I said, I will look into it when the right time comes>along. Its simply not the right time for me. I have too many>things that must take priority right now to start messing with>Vista again for FSX.>>>>however, I do have it installed for checking out hardware as>needed. I simply do not use it for FSX. It's used for other>purposes right now. Next gen platform changes may dictate a>switch. If that is the case I may dive into it then.My opinions most of the time are from actual experience. This is the same reason why I have valued your suggestions in the past in this forum, because of your experience with the subject. Like I said before if I had the slightest inkling that Vista 64/SP1 was hindering my performance I would not be using it. I have three copies of XP/Pro sitting here collecting dust if I wanted to go back.

Guest Nick_N

I have engineering applications and other software I use that are better suited for XP x64. FSX is not the only thing I use a computer for. So the move, if it happens, will be in stages and at the right time.I would prefer that be at a point where it will have the most use and such a switch will come with less aggravations, like the ones marka sees. I went through FSX in Vista several times in the past and saw more problems than it was worth. That does not mean everyone will.

Guest djt01

>I went through FSX in Vista several times in the past and saw more >problems than it was worth. That does not mean everyone will.Actually Nick when you get a chance could you go into some detail on how you installed it such as, was this with Vista SP1 with all the other updates since the service packs release? Also could you tell us about some of the

Guest Nick_N

I have better questions...>10-15 frames in some gamesFSX?So we have loaded Garys benchmark and run duplicated installs from XP and Vista and we have gained 10-15 frames in FSMark07?8 frames?5 frames?3 frames?are we guessing here?How do we base performance to frame increases in FSX when I quite clearly showed that a 11.5% increase in frames did not make as much difference as a minor 5-6% increase on the right timing and bandwidth?That suggests if one person sees more frames than another it does not mean person A getting more frames is getting better true perf than person B. The systems in question and their abilitys are part of that as well as the users ability to properly address the hardware and the OS.And since I had nothing but little annoying problems around every corner and drivers seemed to make little difference at the time I simply chose to remain off the OS as my mission critical system until such time as all the issues I did not like, which were not all related to FSX, were addressed or resolved. Be it needed support for an application or hardware.As I said, when I feel I have the time and the desire to try working with the OS with FSX again I will.I did not move to XP until after SP1a in order to allow for growing pans and driver/software issues to be resolved. It was a smooth move which still presented a few problems but they were minimal by that point. It was not until SP2 and actually a bit after that the perf came up to where it needed to be for my satisfaction and moving to XP x64 once it was past its SP cycle was the best move I madeVista seems to be following the same MS development path

Guest Nick_N

>We are also ignoring the factI am not ignoring any factsplease use that statement with careSince I am still using hardware whos primetime was under XP driver development and not Vista, and for which it performed better in XP much longer than Vista, it seems to me the facts are not being considered completely by another party.A 4780? A GTX280? a newer motherboard design? A different platform?different storyand as I said before as I move into newer hardware.. some of which I am already looking at in Vista, I will make that assesment and move, not until.