Sign in to follow this  
Mark_A

NVIDIA Control Panel Settings

Guest djt01

>and as I said before as I move into newer hardware.. some of>which I am already looking at in Vista, I will make that>assesment and move, not until.Well I guess when that time comes it will be nice to get an OS/FS guide similar to the one you put out for XP, this time specifically for Vista.

Nick,You pointed out some good things:I run window mode and do not check AA in FSX, I do have vsync force on but I run in window mode. I'll try full screen mode and let you know.Thanks

Guest Nick_N

ahhhhhhh ha!I should probably add that to my list of settingsNo window mode!full screen only with the settings I posted for NhancerIts a myth you get better performance in window mode which was brought on by a few different quarky Vista driver releasesIf you do run WM in Vista.. be sure to hide the Windows task bar.. some report better performance with it, some see no change.We were able to run nearly clean in Window mode with the F1 demo in XP where in Vista at the time it was not possibleVsync does not work in Window mode.. not matter what OS, that requires full screen to work

Ran full screen mode with and without AA box ticked in FSX, I didn't really see any difference, still shimmer and a small amount of jaggered lines, inculding the radio stack in the aircraft.I also tried trilinear filtering with no noticeable difference.

Guest Nick_N

Still no go?hmmmmmVsync will not work in window mode so to avoid tearing and shimmer brought on by no vsync its always best to stay in full screenThe settings I post for use with nhancer are for full screen useand we did switch from Vista back to XP for that F1 demo simply on the basis of not being able to get the same overall visual quality and shimmer reduction in Vista we could in XP

Sorry if this is rather basic, but the "flashing textures" you mention in one of your posts sound symptomatic of running in the "DX10 Preview" mode. This might also explain FSX's lack of response to various anti-aliasing settings in the Nvidia control panel. Are you absolutely sure you're running under DX9?Otherwise, your symptoms do sound rather odd and certainly not typical of FSX under Vista 64 (unless I have just forgotten how much better things were under XP!) One of the symptoms you report is some jagged edges on the radio stack of an aeroplane: is this a default aeroplane? It's just that if there were a systematic problem with anti-aliasing on your PC, it is curious that this is the only place it shows up. You also say that you noticed the shimmering problem after installing some add-on scenery. All this makes me wonder whether one or more of your add-ons have mis-behaved. Apologies if I've missed something in one of your posts but I do not think you mention whether you've tried a completely fresh install, to flush out this sort of thing. If not, you might have a go.Sorry if I'm just stating the bleeding obvious.Tim

Rebuilt my system with XP and getting the same results as Vista. I don't know what I did last time to get it working good but I'm totally lost now.Nick N, I have two versions of Nhancer, 2.3.2 and 2.4.1. Looking at the 2.3.2 release notes it doesn't support 174 drivers, would there be an issue trying to use it in that case? I can't remember which version I had running originally and I'm thinking of giving it a go.Thanks

Guest Nick_N

>Rebuilt my system with XP and getting the same results as>Vista. I don't know what I did last time to get it working>good but I'm totally lost now.>>Nick N, I have two versions of Nhancer, 2.3.2 and 2.4.1.>Looking at the 2.3.2 release notes it doesn't support 174>drivers, would there be an issue trying to use it in that>case? I can't remember which version I had running originally>and I'm thinking of giving it a go.>>ThanksStill the same?hmmmmmmare the current chipset drivers getting installed for this board?I am on 2.4.2 Nhancer with the 174.74 beta driversTrying the older version is not going to hurt anything but there was a cutoff for certain drivers and support. Give a go... cant hurtI assume you did install Net framework 2.0? Its required for Nhancer support. Updated properly from Windows update?Make sure to get all the Windows Updates and I do it manually by browsing there in IE7 (TOOLS - WINDOWS UPDATE) so I can look over the 'suggested updates' list where they usually provide the updates for .nET

I'll double check the chipset drivers.I have all .NET versions installed, and all updates.Something I did notice, tree shimmmering, jaggered lines (AA) and flashing textures issues don't happening when I zoom in. I fly using the VC and zoom is about .80 when I say zoom in it's about 3.00.ThanksMark

Guest Nick_N

Be aware that FSX SP2 which is included with Acceleration introduces issues of texture flashing in the form of black boxes which can appear from airports and aircraft when their lights come into view. The slower the system or more stressed it is, the longer the black boxs are seen on the screenWater textures are known for doing the same thing but not as much as the light textures for airports and aircraft.Also, type 2 autogen 'flickers' are a known issue where buildings such as barns, gas stations, malls or other autogen of that nature flickers and flashes.Flashing spikes can be a sign of video memory oversaturated and with SP2 I also noticed when a flight is first loaded, panning around the outside of the aircraft flashing black or colored spikes occur until I circle the aircraft several times to load the scenery around the plane and once its all loaded those flashes stop and are not seen again. The flashes are caused by the autogen, not the textures. They switched autogen to 'batch' calls in FSX SP2 and that seems to have strange effects on the flight when first loaded and panning the camera around the aircraft and higher autogen slider values. I did notice different driver revisions seem to change the effect somewhat.Even with the settings I use in Nhancer there is still a very tiny amount of shimmer still present in trees. Not enough to be outright annoying but it is there. I did notice the addon TreeX for SP1 and above reduces that even further however some of the trees are not as well color balanced as the default which I notice more in Europe than the USA. Where you are seeing jagged AA can be a clue. When the AA feature is checked in FSX it sends a flag to the driver through the DX system and enables hardware AA however the type of AA that is done omits triangle AA smoothing as I recall and some AA issues can still be seen which is why I always uncheck the sim AA and use COMBINED 8xS which reduces shimmer to a minimum and also cleans the image up very nicely. It does not make sense you are having serious AA issues and shimmer problems in XP and you say its no different in Vista which is why I was questioning system drivers or something that would be a common denominator to both OS's