Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Amazing MONITOR for FSX ...

Just tried a Panasonic TC-32LZ800 HDTV / Monitor with FSX.All I can say is ... WOW ! 32" of pixel perfect FSX.Seems more CRT like than LCD, but it's a 32" LCD monitor like no other I've seen before and its under $999. Displays a pixel perfect 1920x1080 desktop.Uses IPS LCD technology, so it has a 180deg viewing angle.Many LCD makers claim wide viewing angles... this really has one.IPS tech is usually only found in the highest end monitors costing 2x-3x as much for smaller screens.Other LCDs if you move your head or sit off axis loose contrast. Not this one, it looks the same where ever I move.Also has a very nice black level with a glass like screen.When your in the cockpit it looks like your looking into a real glass windshield!Some don't like gloss screens,I find they are amazing really nice deep colors, makes night flying fun again, CRT like.There is a version with a matte screen too.I've been waiting for a large 24-27" 1080p gloss screen monitor for some time,then I read about this HDTV being used as a monitor via a DVI to HDMI cable.It has a VGA input but it limits the resolution, use the HDMI for full 1920x1080 resoluiton.Great price under $999 US, amazing image, with full HDTV functions too.Being a HDTV it's optimized for video not text, so some text/background color combos look off, like blue on black, I remember CRTs being the same, but normal text/backgrounds look fine.The font size if perfect for me, sitting 3 feet from the display on my desk.These can be hard to find, I'm not the first to discover them, but if you can find one, I highly recommend trying it for gaming and HDTV use. 32" and 37" available, gloss LZ800 or matte LZ85 screens.Get a return policy just in case, but I don't think you will use it :)More Info: http://www.panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo/lcd/viera.asphttp://www.panasonic.ca/english/audiovideo...c32_37lz800.asp

jackcnd- interesting stuff re your new 32" monitor. Have you tried setting up triple views on this, rather than just View Fwd?It appears this should work- thereby increasing the Field of View from normal 45

I will try your suggestion January, butI confess I'm more of a arcade FSX player :)I'm usually in locked spot view with FSX, I use zoom at 60-70% and viewpoint controls to put myself well behind the plane on the large monitor. End up with a very wide view.Just was flying over FlyTampa's FSX Hong Kong ... amazing at dust.This display has given FSX new life. Next up Crysis ;)

Guest djt01

>Just tried a Panasonic TC-32LZ800 HDTV / Monitor with FSX.>>All I can say is ... WOW ! 32" of pixel perfect FSX.>>Seems more CRT like than LCD, >but it's a 32" LCD monitor like no other I've seen before >and its under $999. jackcnd,Thanks for the post with your experiences with the HDTV. I

Check out AVS Forums the LCD monitor section, many have compared the Sony , Samsung and Panasonic 32" LCD's.The Panasonic is reported to have a small lag.I'm not enough of a gamer to judge, it looks fine to me.Generally the Panny is picked on top, all have some issues.Some report a whine from the 32" Panasonic, I don't hear it on mine.The 37" are whine free, but I think 37" might be too big for desktop use.The key to me was the 32" gloss screen, IPS LCD for wide viewing,full 1920x1080 HD resolution, and it just looks sharp even turned off :)If you can buy somewhere with a return policy might be best.I really like it so far, for games, slingbox and web use.Will hook a cable HD tuner up later this week.

Guest djt01

>Check out AVS Forums the LCD monitor section, >many have compared the Sony , Samsung and Panasonic 32">LCD's.>>The Panasonic is reported to have a small lag.>I'm not enough of a gamer to judge, it looks fine to me.>>Generally the Panny is picked on top, all have some issues.>Some report a whine from the 32" Panasonic, I don't hear it on>mine.>The 37" are whine free, but I think 37" might be too big for>desktop use.>>The key to me was the 32" gloss screen, IPS LCD for wide>viewing,>full 1920x1080 HD resolution, and it just looks sharp even>turned off :)>>If you can buy somewhere with a return policy might be best.>>I really like it so far, for games, slingbox and web use.>Will hook a cable HD tuner up later this week.Thanks,I haven