Sign in to follow this  
simba_nl

Optimized DDR2-1066 settings

Is there anyone who can give me a good timing hint for my new purchased Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 memory?I'm running a E8500 on a Gigabyte P35-DS3 board and 9,5 x 400 MhzTHX

Isn't the default 5-5-5-15? If memory serves me correctly, you get to the timings by pressing and holding Ctrl + F1 at the main menu of the BIOS. Set the voltage to the Mfgr's suggested value which I believe is 2.1v. Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Jeffhew

I have mine running at 1104MHz with 5-5-3-13 timings. Makes quite a difference with the stutters. I've had it up to 1130MHz at these timings (see pic below), but that's about as high as it's going at those timings. I had some stability issues because I didn't really want to push the vDIMM. So...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192252.jpg ...My settings now are just a bit more modest. In this second pic, note the subtimings. The most important one here is the tRRD, set at 1. http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192253.jpgThis is a bit better shot. The pic above didn't show the memory boxes filled in correctly.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192256.jpgThese work for me. I don't make any promises for your system. As always, you assume the risk for changes to your system.Hope this helps.Best Regards,Jeff

Guest Jeffhew

I just wanted to add that my memory isn't the Dominator. It's the XMS2 1066MHz which is just a step down but, my timings are based on Dominator timings. A real nice site for this kind of info is the Xtreme Systems forum here:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php?Jeff

Jeffhew,Thx for your settings, my stutter is slightly reduced now but I'm still not 100% happy. Don't know why but my former cheap DDR-800 was running better. No stutter at all... (?!)

Nick_N who frequents this forum is the local expert on RAM so hopefully he will chip in. In case he doesn't, I suspect he would emphasize the importance of timing as much as/ more than the frequency of the RAM. The higher frequency of your new RAM may imply higher performance, but your 800MHz DDR2 may actually have been operating at a more optimal combination of frequency and timings than can be achieved by concentrating just on getting a higher frequency. He has recommended using fast DDR3 for best results.Tim

Guest Jeffhew

Yes, Tim is exactly right! It's been my experience that with many games and apps, timings aren't that big of an issue but, with FS, timings can be more important than speed. I know in my case, if I had to choose between fast RAM or tighter timings, I'd take tighter timings every time for FS. I agree with pulling back on the speed, 100%. The tighter timings are responsible for reducing the stutters, not the speed. Several people told me I could get more speed out of my RAM, and they are right. I have run it faster but, only with the looser timings. The extra speed isn't worth it. This is as tight as I can get these sticks on my system. The Corsair is good RAM but, my one regret is that I let an expert talk me out of trying the Mushkin CAS4 memory.Tim is also right about Nick. He is THE expert. He's written a number of useful articles. You can take a look at some of them here:http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...m=1208959973/30If you need more in depth help, I would definitely seek him out!There was an article floating around a few years ago comparing performance of FS9 at faster RAM speeds vs tighter timings. Tighter timings resulted in much better graphics performance compared to faster speed. I don't recall the author but it certainly could have been Nick. Best Regards,Jeff

Guest Nick_N

Its a trial and error situationI would go through it with you however I just do not have timePerformance is gained by using FSB/STRAP - set the strap to 333 if available and with that system most likely 400-410 will be your FSB limits however I did manage to get Anthony Vos who is on DDR2 running 8x450 Q9450 @ 5-5-5-18 2x2GB DDR2 1086... these sticks: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145197your best stable FSB depends on the motherboard and processorMemory SPEED = Higher is better but within the limits of the lowest timings possible at the highest speed.. Take a lower CAS over 100MHz more in speedMemory timing = Lowest stable CAS possible at the highest speed @ 333MHz CPU strap... and try to maintain a TRAS of CAS + TRP + 2 (or 4 max) However with DDR2 you may have to accept a TRAS of 18 or 20 even if it calc's to be 14 or 16the rest other than the 4 primary timing values, just set to AUTO is usually fine. BIOS .. you may need to work both Vcore and VDD to get stable memory clocks established. Do not assume the memory voltage is the only thing that influences memory stability. In a CPU/Mem clock a touch more Vcore can also help, sometimes not. With corsair and clocking you typically have to run their maximum warrantee memory voltage to stabilize a high speed, low latency clock. As long as its within that Corsair spec, your fine. Outside that you are on your own but I do sometimes bump it up a touch (.05v) over 3PD memory tool = MEMSPEED = LOWEST 'performance level' or tRD MCH Read Delay value at the lowest CAS @ the highest speed = best performance and always set the TREF to the highest T value in the dropdown. Memteat allows you to save the settings for boot but dont do that until you are sure you have a stable clock. Once established, then set memtest to make any trimmed timing changes as Windows boots up. If you do and you cant get boot into Windows use safe mode to delete the saved memory profile and then get back into Windows to make changes.a memtest PL setting of 6 is pretty good.. 5 is a holy grail and rare to hit,, 7 is the max I would allow a system to run and that would be on DDR3 bandwidth.I cant just throw numbers at you.. I can suggest but then you have to work it out and stabilize it with stress tests based on your CPU clock. Start with the factory numbers on the highest memory voltage and start working your way up and downlast... 1T CMD ... that is one I always go for however it is another rare one to get with many DDR2 clocks. I will usually accept 100MHz loss for a stable 1T Memtest Performance Level 6 clock. I will usually set 1T CMD FIRST and try and work the rest out with 1T enabled.. but as I said, with DDR2 which is not specified to run 1T, thats a tough one.Your major performance is in timing, not bandwidth, but the key is to hit the lowest timing values @ the fastest speed possible, safe.Use the Everest benchmark to check your latency.. its crude as a suggestion in use however getting it down to 50ns and under is the real goal, with the fastest memory speed possible.With Nehalem, its possible you may see memory lantency in the 20's and possibly the teens with clocks.. and without raising FSB past 166, and, with memory read speed nearly double the 10-11 and 12K marks DDR3 hits today.. but thats 'just' a guess :-hah

Guest Nick_N

I did a DDR2/DDR3 test here at AVSIM using Gary's benchmark as the baseDDR3 on the right CAS always wins :-hah same with DDR2.. the timing is the key, faster speed is secondary but still importantThe images are gone now but it starts here and you can follow it to the end discussion through the links in the 6 partshttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=37203&page=here is the last thread with the evaluation of the results.. that thread also includes my discussion of memory timing and bandwidth and how that can be tuned better http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...37210&mode=full

Guest D17S

Keep in mind that the Everst "Latency" number is the final result of any timing and/or speed adjustments you might make. Even the Everest Read/Write MB/s are just measures of internal ram chip processes that assist this final "Latency" result. Latency represents how long it takes to transfer a data bit between the memory buss and the Front Side Buss. This is the job that needs to be done. Everything else is about measuring the processes that cause this outcome to occur. (For the airplane guys, Latency is "N1" or "EPR" The rest are N2, EGT, FF, Etc.) A definitive measure of the result of a lower (quicker) latency number has been illusive. Even huge, 50% decreases in this Latency number (for instance the difference between a 70ns latency and a 45ns latency) has produced performance changes that have been subjective, at best.

Guest Nick_N

===========================================CONSIDERATION OF RESULTS:I would probably pay more attention to those +3% to +5% TRUE average increases in benchmark frame rates in conjunction with the lower timing, lower latency memory products

Guest Nick_N

Correction>a memtest PL setting of 6 is pretty good.. 5 is a holy grail and rare to hit,, 7 is the max I would allow a system to run and that would be on DDR3 bandwidth.PL (tRD) 7 is fine on a good CAS 5 DDR2 1066 and above clock although 6 would be better, just harder to hit on low CAS without a voltage increase. Some sticks will do it and some won't...and that too is called: MEMSET not MEMTEST or MEMSPEED... senior momentLOL

Guest Nick_N

Rule of thumbDDR @ Minimum CAS Acceptable:

Hi Nick,It is pretty new stuff for me and my English is not my native language so I have to study your info in depth but correct me if I'm wrong but the goal is to get the Latency around the 50 ns...I have done a quick test and getting the follow default results in Everest build 460.1500 with the Memory Benchmark with tRRD=11066 5-5-5-15 = 71,4ns800 4-4-4-12 = 79,1ns667 3-3-3-9 = 72,4ns (raised from 2.1V to 2.4V)I have set the CPU at standard 333x9,5It's all pretty slow I think and quick tests in FSX give me stutter in all different settings.ThxPS: I'm running at 1920x1200 with a 8800GTX/768 and have 1 Raptor for OS in multiboot (XP and Vista64 for fs9 and FSX) and 1 raptor dedicated to FSX, defragmented with disktrix 2008 file/folder high performance FSX outerside of disk