Sign in to follow this  
simba_nl

Optimized DDR2-1066 settings

Guest D17S

The quickest and easiest way to play with latency is to use Memset's "Performance Level" setting. This the tRD setting. It sets how may FSB cycles are skipped between data bit transfers between the memory and the Front Side busses. The smaller the tRD number, the more often (or more quickly : aka "Latency") data bits are transferred between the memory and the FSB. This is the whole point of the memory tweaking drill. (Note: all that "Strap" does is change this tRD number.)You can adjust tRD with Memset in real time. The change is immediate. Each notch of Performance Level (tRD) is worth ~ 2ns of memory latency, depending on your FSB speed. Play with it. Make an adjustment, then run Everest and see the Latency difference. Keep turning it down until your system locks up. That was one notch too far! Reboot and remember that no-go setting.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192324.jpgSet a very high performance level setting (tRD) and note the (higher) memory latency with Everest. Now run the sim. Note the sim's performance. Now set a low performance level setting (tRD) and note the (lower memory )latency with Everest. Now run the sim. Note the sim's performance. How much of a latency change were you able to accomplish? How much of a difference did this latency change make in the sim's performance? Now you know.

Guest Jeffhew

Yup, and at those settings, PL6 locks up my system instantly. After reading Nick's posts, I started playing around again. I actually got down to 4-4-3-10 but, at only 881MHz and a 1:1 divider. This, of course, forced my FSB/CPU speed down and basically negated the advantages of the tighter timings. Bandwidth and latency were a bit slower and higher respectively but, the 1:1 divider wasn't as smooth. Stability also became a factor. The 5:6 ratio is just smoother on my system. My PL stayed at 7. The biggest thing to understand is that when overclocking, as Nick alluded, it is more than just setting one variable. Changing one setting may have an impact on several others. The only way to do it is trial and error, and watching how your system responds to those changes. You have to be sitting in front of the system and know what it does under normal settings to be able to determine what is causing any problems. I can tell just by the way my system posts (or doesn't), and loads the OS(or doesn't), what the problem might be. Only experience with the specific system will give you this knowledge. No two systems, however identical they may be, will work exactly the same.There's just no way around it. To be successful, you have to put the time in researching and studying. If you skip this step, you can do alot of damage to your systems components without even knowing it. Overclocking is as much art as it is science.Regards,Jeff

Guest Nick_N

Good words Jeffhowever as the demo above pointing out the use of memtest did not stress strong enough and correctly.. you must work the CPU FSB into and past the 400Mhz range with a CPU strap of 333MHz (5:6 ratio) before you ever start playing with Memset.The higher you get that FSB up into the 450Mhz range, the better you will do on that STRAP setting. It has to do with how that FSB and STRAP affects changes in the northbridge through the BIOS programming, which is why Jeff sees better performance at 5:6 than 1:1

Guest D17S

This drill is Entirely about decreasing Memory <> FSB latency (or Everest's "Latency" number). 1) Each 100Mhz of FSB is worth ~ 1ns of Memory <> FSB latency. 2) The "Strap" simply changes the tRD number (Memset's preformance level adjustment). This is certainly not about tweaking a single setting, however the Goal IS singular. Tweak "this" and adjust "that," but remember the - Single Goal - is to reduce Memory <> FSB latency (Everest's latency number).

Guest Jeffhew

>>The higher you get that FSB up into the 450Mhz range, the>better you will do on that STRAP setting. It has to do with>how that FSB and STRAP affects changes in the northbridge>through the BIOS programming, which is why Jeff sees better>performance at 5:6 than 1:1>>Thanks for saving me the trouble of actually askng the question Nick. I couldn't quite put my finger on it. The northbridge is one of those more elusive settings to me in that it's hard to point to any one symptom and say "Ahh, that's the northbridge". My northbridge is set to 1.61v in the BIOS for an actual of 1.63v. This puts my NB temp at about 55c on a normal day and up to about 63c on a real hot day; as much as 67c (hot day) under load. Would you agree that this is about as far as I should push it? If I leave it in AUTO, I've seen it as high as 1.74v which makes me a bit uncomfortable.Best Regards,Jeff

Guest Jeffhew

>>This is certainly not about tweaking a single setting, however>the Goal IS singular. Tweak "this" and adjust "that," but>remember the - Single Goal - is to reduce Memory <> FSB>latency (Everest's latency number). Hi Sam,I wasn't responding to you with my comments about single vs many settings. I meant no insult. I hope you didn't take it that way. I was addressing the OP with that. He said he didn't know a whole lot about OCing and I just wanted him to understand that any change can affect alot more than he might realize. It's important to understand the correlation between settings. This is exactly why I always hesitate to give specific settings because I can't be sure of the persons knowledge or experience. I just don't want to be the cause of someone frying their system.Best Regards,Jeff

Guest D17S

No worrys. The real point is that this is a lot easier than it might other wise seem . . . . and tweaking 'puters is great fun. That tRD excercise is a good one cuz it's just impossible to hurt anything. If you go too far, the system will just lock. A simple reboot resets it all. Using this drill, a user can really see the difference that BIG latency changes make in game. Heck, you can even pause the sim, reset the performance Level and continue the flight. For instance, if 30ns makes "this much" difference, an additional 10ns decrease will be "a bit more." That'll give the user an idea of how much good all this memory tweaking can do.

Guest Nick_N

>My northbridge is set to 1.61v in the BIOS for an actual of>1.63v. This puts my NB temp at about 55c on a normal day and>up to about 63c on a real hot day; as much as 67c (hot day)>under load. Would you agree that this is about as far as I>should push it? If I leave it in AUTO, I've seen it as high>as 1.74v which makes me a bit uncomfortable.>>Best Regards,>Jeff>OuchWarning.. off the top of my head I do think the termination temp of that NB is 80c and if I am not mistaken there is no safety for that like the system in a processor unless that BIOS is programmed to shut the system down before point of no return. Do you find it necessary to run 1.63 to maintain stability?My rule of thumb on that is 1.52 without any special cooling. 1.55 and above requires either a cool environment or special cooling for the NB. Auto mode sets that to 1.74? I assume you are not running any AI Overclocking settings. How are you verifying its running 1.74v in Auto? If it is, that would be a first for me to see. Not to say it is not possible however I find it quite surprising auto mode would run the NB on anything other than the specified default for safe operation.

Guest Nick_N

>2) The "Strap" simply changes the tRD number (Memset's preformance level adjustment). I have really had about enough of this backyard electronic engineering with an english majorThat one goes hand in hand with "A Raptor only gives you 7 seconds better FSX loading time and no difference after"http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=43364&page=What, after FSX is loaded the hard drive is never used????And

Guest Jeffhew

This board does have a pretty decent NB heatsink(aluminum, painted copper :-lol). With all my fans it does stay within an acceptable range. The really hot day happens for about a month each summer here, which is when my posted screenshots were taken. I've never seen the NB temp exceed 68c under any circumstance. It takes about 1.57v to boot; around 1.59v for a small OC. :-) I stopped using the AI as soon as I saw 1.74v. That's when I decided it was in my best interest to learn how to do it on my own. I was actually using ASUS' overclocking tool that comes with the MB. PC Probe and Everest show about the same number give or take a tenth. The AI has set my RAM to 2.4v too, when in auto. Corsair Memory shows a max of 2.2v. At my current settings I have my RAM set at 2.12v.The MB comes from the factory with the shutdown feature set at 90C but I've reduced that to be safe. Not sure off the top of my head if the NB has the same feature, I'd have to look at the BIOS again. My system @ 3.9GHz is stable at the reported 1.63v. I've been told that as long as the temp is in check that I should be fine but, not to exceed 1.70v. I think the X38/48 boards might run a bit higher on the voltages. I just thought I'd get your opinion on it.I appreciate the help.Best Regards,Jeff

Guest Nick_N

Just keep it under 72cCheck the BIOS and see if they give you a thermal limit on the NB, if so, please set it to a value less than 80c. I do not have time to look up the term temp on that NB however if you know for sure its 90c, set it for at least 80.Temps can jump before the system has a chance to do its job.. give yourself at least 10-15c on that and try to keep it 20 under if possible on the hotest day just to be safe.Good luck Jeff. I am glad you are seeing better results with the tuning I covered.

Guest Jeffhew

Thanks Nick. I'm grateful for your help. I'll look for you on the other boards.Best Regards,Jeff

Guest Nick_N

>Well, so much for that plan!Not sure what you meanyou mean the 20c under?LOLIm an engineer, we always make sure to cover our numbers and advice :-lol You will be fine below 70good luck

Guest Jeffhew

I wrote that in reference to your leaving. I hadn't seen your post yet and thought you were gone. I changed it when I saw your post. I for one am grateful for the experts that help here. I've left other boards for the very same reason.I know where to find you if I need to. Thanks again for your expert advice.Best Regards,Jeff