Sign in to follow this  
Noel

How's your 4870 or 4870x2 performing in FSX?

There is still just a small amount of testimony I can find on this topic. How about a quick review of your recent results, and if you are happy with your purchase so far. I know it performs well in FS9, so that is not my question. Thanks,NoelQX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

I am also interested in this as well. I've read bits and pieces here and there, but nothing conclusive. I have an HD3870 that performs pretty well, but chokes in heavy clouds, so I am interested to see if the 4870 performs any better.Bill

Guest JIMJAM

IMO:-hah And on my system:-hah Had to get that out of the way to reduce the attack of the tecno geeks.From a bfg 8800gt to a hd4870, the difference is small other than "imo,subjective" picture quality. The 8800gt has the edge since you have more drivers to choose from and Nhancer to fix problems and ,well enhance the chances of FSX running right.Thats "if" FSX is the only game you play.On all other games but FSX, the 4 series kicks Nvidia's #### but remember in pc gaming time, FSX is a fossil.My return on the 4870 was expiring but I decided to keep it and sell the 8800gt.I play Crysis,Bioshock and there are a few good pc titles coming out and I do not want to be locked into a old card and setup just to satisfy FSX.So in conclusion, IMO,subjective,on my system :-hah , if you have a 8800gt series except for the 300 meg one,all you play is FSX,keep it. If you also play or want to play current/latest games, get the 4870.To the HD3870 guy.This is the first ATI card Ive owned in 10 years but from my net surfing and soaking in info from various forums, the 4870 kills the 3870 in everyway including FSX.Not even in the same catagory.Again though,giving money to ATI instead of Nvidia felt great and I LOVE the picture quality even with aa/af issues.The performance boost playing Crysis with the ATI was night and day.I suggest visiting Bestbuy and picking one up and try it.

Guest Bob Huntley

I went from an 8800 GTX to a 4870 - as expected, it didn't make much difference to the frame rates in FSX, but it has helped reduce the blurries (I fly over Just Flight's UK VFR scenery a lot of the time, and the 4870 is definitely better at putting this data on the screen). I can also run a higher level of anti-aliasing without problems.Have'nt had time to test it much in other games, but it seems faster in Tomb Raider Anniversary.Overall, it was a worthwhile upgrade (although you'll see many posts saying that the 8800 GTX is still a good FSX card).

Guest djt01

>On all other games but FSX, the 4 series kicks Nvidia's ####It does? LOL,that

Guest djt01

>I went from an 8800 GTX to a 4870 - as expected, it didn't>make much difference to the frame rates in FSX, but it has>helped reduce the blurries I

>>I

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JIMJAM

"News to me"!!!!!!!!!!You gotta be kiddin!!!!!I thought you knew everything.I am getting a little tired of your smartass remarks that you tag with "LOL".From my above posting."IMO And on my system Had to get that out of the way to reduce the attack of the tecno geeks."And again later,"So in conclusion, IMO,subjective,on my system"Thats was JUST FOR YOU and one of the reasons alot do not bother posting or answering here anymore.Lacing snide remarks with LOL is getting old.If you were 1/2 as brilliant as you thought you were, you would not be hanging around FSX forums picking off people simply expressing opinions and offering help.Go to one of the hardware,overclocking forums and demonstrate yourcomputer genius there.Start stepping on toes and try LOLing your way out of being tossed out.Oh yeah, LOL!!!!

Guest djt01

>"News to me"!!!!!!!!!!>You gotta be kiddin!!!!!>I thought you knew everything.>I am getting a little tired of your smartass remarks that you>tag with "LOL".I

Guest JIMJAM

What part of "IMO" "ON my system"And repeated again just for you, " IMO,subjective,on my system "Dont you GET?Every post made should not have to begin with a disclaimer and a 3 page tech dissertation.If someone ask, How does the xyz card handle the clouds?And I say, its bogs, then dammit, it bogs!Not on your system, not on Bill Gates system but MINE.If you feel the compulsion to add some techno babble or how it should be better or card X has more transistors,fine.But to simply say something like, Get a clue lol. Or thats amazes me lol, its just plain ol rude.-"I

Guest djt01

>If you feel the compulsion to add some techno babble or how it>should be better or card X has more transistors,fine.>"I

Guest JIMJAM

Laughing at people's post and belittling them is WRONG.If you do not understand that, then maybe someone else will explain it to you so that you can understand it.I am done here as I can see you are impossible to reason with.In real life, I do not think you laugh in many guy's faces who are simply trying to help and offer his opinion.

Remember the Ati hd4870 has GDDR5 so it has faster memory then the nvidia cards. which have GDDR3 memory. as far as the cloud issues, I have no idea. most likely driver optimizations or not that great for fsx. a good friend of mine has the 4870 he had upgraded from a 1900xt which is also a really good card.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Guest djt01

>Laughing at people's post and belittling them is WRONG.JIMJAM,I do not laugh and belittle everyone

>Now with that said, if you felt I was belittling you,I>apologize. That's a nice thing to say. Now JIMJAM, accept the apology and let's move along.Djt1, if you would continue to be so kind, can you give me a detailed overview of your experience with the 4870x2 in FSX? Here are my main concerns:1. Can it keep up with my 8800GT in terms of performance in FSX? I define performance as: image quality x motion smoothness, with frame rate of >=22 or so absolute worst case, on up to whatever in lower intensity conditions, using my new and performance-friend Super MD-80 Pro. Most sliders are hard right except autogen usually at DENSE. CLoud draw at 100m, max dense. Water at 2x. BLOOM is on except in complex terminals. 1600x1200 at 16xAF/4xAA.We have virtually the same test bed as you have with your 4870x2 card, so this should be a very reliable comparable. 2. Any oddities with anti-aliasing in FSX or other software? I keep hearing about this. Can't live without decent AA, especially with a high end graphics card.3. Any other oddities with the 4870x2, noise, heat? Artifacting? Etc?Thanks bunches in advance if you can give a clear review that would be super appreciated. JIMJAM's testimony seems quite positive for the 4870.NoelQX9650 w/ Retail HSF|ASUS P5E3 Premium WiFi|4GB Muskin Ascent 7-6-6-18 1T DDR3-1600|EVGA 8800GT|Seagate SATA 2 x 2|Seagate Cheetah 15K.x|XP Pro SP2|Vista 64--maybe never to be installed

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X