Sign in to follow this  
Guest lobo13

Computer Help!

Guest lobo13

>Agreedx2. If we promise to help, think we can talk 'em into>building one? >>http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...tNumber=7159746Almost thou persaudest me, Sam!! Ha! I really appreciate the good input from you guys. It's good to have the benefit of the knowledge of true home-built machine guru's.I'll look again for and Intel ASUS MB. I didn't catch that the one I spec'd was a Nvidia based MB. Thanks for the heads up.In the configuration I was looking at on pcusa's site, it came spec'd with 2 DVD writers/drives, so I left it such, thinking that it might be more convienent when copying cd's DVD's and also as a backup if I had a failure of one. The cost was mnior to keep it.I didn't know about the sound....I'll just keep things with onboard sound from now on when I spec one out.Sam, why do you think the first on spec'd might be better? Is it just the motherboard?Also, I'll assume the MB's have the LAN hookup. See, how dumb I am with this stuff??? You want ME to try to "build" one?!?!? Now, that's a challenge...heh heh. I know it would be a great learning experience, but, I know I would definitely need help! I reckon I'd still need some convincing that I could do it. Is there a post on the forum, or elsewhere, that is a good guide for a noob to use in trying to home build a "gaming" computer??Thanks, Sam, for the wishlist. Looks like you had to go through a few items to get enough stuff in stock. Thanks for the effort!You guys are tops in my book, and I'm sure others are looking in on the thread and gaining info as well. I really do appreciate it! I'll keep looking a little more, and may have some more questions, if you will allow. Maybe I will be able to spec out one that looks ideal for the money, not overkill, and will run the sims quite well! I know more than I did, for sure, and will try not to repeat the same mistakes in spec'ng the next one.Thanks again!!!:) Lobo :)

Guest D17S

Yea, the mobo was it. Asus is the manafacture. They make both Nvidia And Intel based mobos. Intels are better. Intel's current "chipsets" (that Asus will use to manafacture the complete mobo) are the P35,P38, P45 and X48. There are all ~ the same. It's just marketing trying to lure the noobees. Shame on then.I have a hard time strongly recommending a do-it-yourself to save $200. 3 year tech support and hardware warranty is hard to beat. You really gotta shop to get that piece by piece. However . . . in the long run, builders make out Big Time. For instance, that $900 Newegg build provides performance that would cost $7000+ from Falcon NW or Alienware . . . if you could get it at all. That Q6600 stock-clocks at 2.4Ghz. Me (and everyone else) is running that quad core CPU at 3.6Ghz, 24/7. That gives a full 50% increase in FSX performance. Home building will yield the knowledge to overclock these MaGicaL CPUs. ThaT is where the Real value is hidden.

Guest lobo13

Got ya! Can you get one like I'm considering and just learn to overclock it yourself?? Here's my latest config...comes out to $896.50 before shiping...~$50 So, about $950 shipped...about $100 less than the last one, after some good advice from y'all.What do ya think? I got the Intel Asus MB this time around. Still a GB on the Vid card, 2 DVD writers, 550W PSU, 4 GB RAM, cheapest speakers they have...I'll get my own better ones, and the only sound chioce without additional cost...I assume it's the the onboard sound.$896.5 for Package 462: >> Configuration: # 1 Warranty : Fully assembled and tested. Shipout in 3 Days. 3-Year limited warranty plus lifetime tech support. QTY: 1 Case : aBX: [ CA-IMJ233P ] ( Front USB, Audio ), Black w/ 400W PSU QTY: 1 Power Supply [ PSU ] : aBX, 550W Power Supply [ PSU ]. Model: BLACK-550 QTY: 1 CPU Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, LGA 775, 3.16GHz, 64-Bit Dual-Core, 6MB Cache; 1333MHz QTY: 1 Cooling Fan : Intel factory Auto-RPM Silent CPU Air Cool QTY: 1 System Board : Asus Intel G33, 8GB Max,1394, S/PDIF, Audio, GbLAN, Video. [ P5K-VM ] QTY: 1 RAM Memory : 4G (2x2GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 QTY: 1 VGA : Geforce 8800GT:1024MB QTY: 1 Hard Drive 1 : 500GB SATA-II 7200RPM QTY: 1 Optical Drive 1 : 20x Dual-Format/Dual-Layer LightScribe DVDRW Driver Optical Drive 2 : 20x Dual-Format/Dual-Layer LightScribe DVDRW Driver Sound Card : High Definition 7.1 Digtial Surround Sound Speakers : 2.0 Systems: aBX MM2. [ 669-8817 ] Network : Integrated onBoard 10/100/(1000) Port(s) Modem : 56K V.90 Fax/Data/Voice Modem Operating System : Windows Vista Home Basic - 64 Bit Edition - w/ DVD setThanks again for the advice....it's invaluable.:) Lobo :)

Guest D17S

That one's fine. Actually, that's real close to Neweggs's part by part price. Geeze, how do dey do dat? Ask them if the bios is fully accessible. You will need to change the front side buss setting and the CPU's voltage. That's all there is to overclocking. The CPU will goto ~ 3.4 with those parts. If you want to spend another $75 for a better CPU cooler and fan, it will goto 4.0Ghz. Remember FS FPS increases 1:1 with CPU clock. I don't think a 4.0Ghz rig can be purchased off the shielf at any price, not "on air" (cooling) anyway. Here's the CPU cooler you will need to goto 4.0: http://www.directron.com/u120e.htmlGet the "Scythe" 120mm fan too. The price is right.

Guest lobo13

>That one's fine. Actually, that's real close to Neweggs's>part by part price. Geeze, how do dey do dat? Ask them if the>bios is fully accessible. You will need to change the front>side buss setting and the CPU's voltage. That's all there is>to overclocking. >>The CPU will goto ~ 3.4 with those parts. If you want to spend>another $75 for a better CPU cooler and fan, it will goto>4.0Ghz. Remember FS FPS increases 1:1 with CPU clock. I don't>think a 4.0Ghz rig can be purchased off the shielf at any>price, not "on air" (cooling) anyway. >>Here's the CPU cooler you will need to goto 4.0: >>http://www.directron.com/u120e.html>>Get the "Scythe" 120mm fan too. The price is right.Thanks a bunch, Sam! How do dey do dat? I wonder too! I guess when you read reviews of these companies, it seems that you take a risk, maybe 50/50, of getting what you order and it being put together with some care, and it working properly. Not so sure the tech support is always accessible, or any good, and who knows about the warrenty. Not trying to sound negative, just what I've read. Probably one or two guys in a garage putting together PC's in a hurry and getting them out....eventually. Anyway, you at least get the "parts", and it has been "put together", and you've got a 50/50 chance that it is done correctly and ready to go. If not, I reckon you become a home builder and set it up properly on your own.I'm still unsure of exactly which way I'll approach it, but, I am grateful to you for taking the time to advise me!Lobo :)

Guest lobo13

OK....I've talked myself into building my own! You believe it? Well, do. I've been doing a lot of researching and reading....and the attitude I see in you home-builders is worth aquiring. I feel I can do it....I've installed memory, hard drives(in the old days when you had to assign the address, IRQ(?) and other stuff I can't remember), and have even installed a video card somewhere in the past in an old rig I had. I'm old enough that I had to wade through the DOS days with computer use for work. If I can do all that, I can surely build a modern, low-cost gaming computer, right?!?I think I prefer my own tech support, and that of the great folks on this, and other forums, to the "iffy" support I'm reading about from these other companies I've considered. And, I should be getting quality, definitely gauranteed, parts....the parts I choose. Will also always be easier for me to upgrade in the future. I don't mean to tell you guys that....you all know it much better than me!The only part I might be weak on is the software setup...that is, the bios, and windows setup. If I have problems, I'll read some more and ask questions! This is getting exciting!!!I just want to "back up" just a little, slow down, and be sure of exactly what components are best for me, and do a little shopping. I'll come back with a list of components soon and ask for advice.I know Sam gave me a "wishlist"....I'll go look that over again...trying to figure what is in stock, etc. Are the prefered Vid cards the ones not in stock, or does matter, Sam?Are Newegg and TigerDirect about the only good places to look for parts?I'll be back! Thanks again for any help, and any suggestions from anyone who has not yet commented here will be appreciated!!Lobo :) :) :)

good for you lobo. I was 51 this year when I decided to build my first 4 months ago and it was a great learning experience. Just follow the directions and be patient -- you'll surprise yourself.And, oh yeah, don't go cheap on the thermal paste, either -- get the $9.99 stuff. That's a joke, and if you don't get it, don't worry. You will. :-)

Guest D17S

After a year or so, you'll find you know as much as any tech support guy . . . and it will be specific to your system. Over a lifetime, you'll save thousands of dollars and have top end systems for the fraction of the storebot cost. Egg, Tiger, ZipZoomFly, Mwave, etc. All the big mailorder houses are good. Sometimes Frys has good deals too. Shop for warranty first, then price. I use XFX Vcards. They are lifetime and will replace anything. EVGA and others also have lifetime warranties. Asus mobo have 3 year and are fine. Almost all memory is lifetime. DDR2-800 is the stuff. Any lifetime brand is fine.Silverstone and PC Power and Cooling are the best Power supplies. OCZ is fine too, Good warranty and a bit cheaper.Edit. BTW, use your Visa CC. That will automatically add an additional year of warranty up to, from 3yrs to 4. Had a 1 year PS fail in the 2nd year. Visa just sent me a check. There will be moments of frustration, but too, years of enjoyment.

Welcome. You are now a computer hobbyist.The question was asked about how CyberPower can sell a computer for near the cost of parts. They buy in bulk at ridiculously low prices. Parts for my last computer cost only $138 less than a similar assembled computer from them. However, I had the fun of shopping for each and every part.I recommend NewEgg as the best place to research part specifications and reviews, and assemble a list. Then do a search for best prices on each item. I usually end up getting everything from NewEgg. The power supply may the hardest item to decide on. It's best to limit this to reputable manufacturer's and get the case without a power supply.Each part has it's own warranty, and forums are far superior to most manufacturer's technical support. Help from knowledgeable users has been far more effective for me than from any manufacturer. ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

I buy almost all of my parts from tigerdirect.com. I know there are those who may argue with me, but they have the fastest delivery, best prices and will take almost anything back on return.

Guest lobo13

OK, I have wishlist at NewEgg, but can't figure out how to get it to the public wishlist area so I can just post a link here. Help?It all comes out to ~$1000 shipped, after ~$80 in rebates.Also, a few other questions:Would I be better off getting the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor (which I understand is easily clocked to 4GB+) or the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor? They are both the same price, $190, at Egg.What is considered the most reliable hard drive now? My looking seemed to turn up that almost all have some dead ones occasionally. Is that so, or is there a "best" manufacturer?Can the EVGA Geforce 8800 Card fit on the ASUS P5Q Pro MB in the proper slot? Someone mentioned, and it looks like on the pic of the MB, that a couple of capacitors might be in the way?Do you get the Vista OS as a

Guest D17S

There's a "Share" click spot on the wishlist page. It can take a day to update. Faster dual or slower quad? It all depends. FSX's FPS is entirely about the clock speed of a single CPU core. Dual or quad will not influence FPS. Only scenery loading (helping "the blurries') is influenced by number of cores. A 4.0 dual will provide 10% increase FPS over a 3.6 quad. However the quad will allow quicker scenery loading. Scenery will be cleaner, further out. I like the quad because life does not stop at FSX. I intend to extend my build as far as possible. I don't have lots of money to upgrade at every cycle. So, the quad provides me the ability to take advantage of FS11's multicore capability (that I'm forecasting will occur). If I had gone for a duel, I'd need the quad to take advantage of the double FS11 will allow with a quad. So, I asked myself, "Is a 10% FPS increase now(20 to 22), worth giving up a - free - double down the road?" The FS fundamentalist with lots of dough will say Yes!! I only wish wish I could too.Seagate is the way to go. 5 year warranty. Any Vcard will fit. Just get the cheapest Vista 64 you can find. Not sure about box to box licensing.When you're ready, get it in your basket and call 'em. See if they will help with the shipping. Also consider sales tax. It can be 5-8%. I bought my CPU and HDs from a vendor with no state tax. I bought my mobo from a vendor down the street cuz that seems to be the weak link. Sure nuff, I messed up the initial install Soooo bad I had to RMA it . . . just down the street!Don't worry, You'll have those moments too . . . and get through 'em just like we all did.

Regarding hard drives; look at Seagate or Western Digital.Regarding the OS; the "system builder" OS's work fine for your use.Regarding the fitment of the vid card; You will be a good builder in no time thinking about things like that. For this fitment issue, there are two things to look at:1) spec sheets/whitepapers on the case, vidcard, ps, motherboard, and2) user testimonials with that exact hw comboGet the dimensions of EVERY component--power supply, case, cards, etc. before you buy. It is a bad feeling to have to return an item because it won't fit in your case.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest lobo13

Finally, they posted the wishlist this evening. I guess it was just because I put it together on Friday afternoon. I reckon they want the weekend off too?!?! Anyway, here it is:http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWi...tNumber=9639266What do ya think?The PSU "lost" it's $80(!) discount between Friday and today, so, I may look for a different one, or buy it somewhere else. Might go for a 700w one anyway, just to cover me for any future additions.Went ahead with the Quad MB based on Sam's input. I think you make sense, and I don't mind spending a little more money right now (altho it was the same cost as NewEgg) while I'm putting together a good system, but, I don't really want to have to spend a bunch more in the future for upgrades if not necessary.I love what I see about the Antec 900 case! Comes with plenty of good sized fans on it in good locations!Got the Artic Silver, and plan to use that on my CPU/fan installation. Got the Zalman 9500 based on looking at customer reiveiws on the Egg. It's huge, does the job, and will fit in the case.....best I can tell. I definitly plan to OC the CPU when I learn how. I'll run it as it comes first for awhile, tho.Still not 100% sure about the vid card with this MB. What the guy said was that he had to put the vid in a "lessor" slot, if I remember right, One does look a little longer than the other 2 PCI slots? He ended up with it in the last one and said it was next to the case and therefore less ventilation. Not sure this all makes sense, I'll try to find his review again.I learned that "OEM" means straight from the manufacturer, and so, on the WD HD, don't expect screws, manual, wire, etc?!? Have to buy "retail" for that? I think the case has the screws I would need in it already....maybe, and the PSU is a modular one with Sata cables. If so, I shouldn't need anything else, should I?Any suggestons on the parts I list, and the build overall are greatly appreciated. I'd like to get the right stuff and do this right on my first build, if possible.I see YouTube has a ton of helpful info. I think you have to be careful with all they might be saying, but, overall, a lot of good info.Thanks!!:) Lobo :)

Guest D17S

Looks fine. There's no need for that expensive 1066 ram. DDR2-800 is the match for your potential overclock. Increasing ram speed will provide no performance increase. It only needs to run at 800Mhz, cuz your overclock will be to a FSB of 400Mhz. Ram runs at 2X (DDR) the FSB (2x400=800).WD provides a 3 year warranty on their OEMs, but only 1 yr on their retail. Go figure. With the OEM, you will need a data cable ($4.99). The PS will have the power cables.The mobo has only one Vcard slot. If you want to run 3-4 monitors (like me!) you will need a different mobo with a second vcard slot.That PS is looking a little costy. OCX might be something to consider. Quiet, stable pwr, good warranty, less expensive.