Sign in to follow this  
Guest lobo13

Computer Help!

That looks like a pretty decent build for the money. As you know an E8400 or E8500 would give you more frames at the same cpu price point but then again you'd need an X38/X48 board for those.The only thing I would comment on is that for $160 I would not get that power supply. If you're talking that kind of money for a power supply, I would look at PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, Corsair, etc. but certainly not an Antec NeoPower, not for that price.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest lobo13

>Looks fine. There's no need for that expensive 1066 ram.>DDR2-800 is the match for your potential overclock. Increasing>ram speed will provide no performance increase. It only needs>to run at 800Mhz, cuz your overclock will be to a FSB of>400Mhz. Ram runs at 2X (DDR) the FSB (2x400=800).>>WD provides a 3 year warranty on their OEMs, but only 1 yr on>their retail. Go figure. With the OEM, you will need a data>cable ($4.99). The PS will have the power cables.>>The mobo has only one Vcard slot. If you want to run 3-4>monitors (like me!) you will need a different mobo with a>second vcard slot.>>That PS is looking a little costy. OCX might be something to>consider. Quiet, stable pwr, good warranty, less expensive.>> Thanks Sam. I'll go back to the DDR2-800 RAM. I may have a data cable or two around. I guess they are the same as they were 5 to 10 years back? I'll check that out, or just order one. I was thinking that SLI meant I could run two vid cards in the future, if there was an advantage, other than more than two monitors. I doubt I'll get so far as 3 or 4 monitors. :) Yea, I will not pay that for the PS unit. It was $80 less when I put the wish list together. I'll get a different one or shop around for that one.Thanks again for all your help!Lobo :)

Guest lobo13

Thanks, Rhett, for the help! You're right on the PS. I'll not pay that price for that one.Lobo :)

Guest D17S

SATA uses a different data cable than the old PATA ribbons. 2 Vcards can be used in SLI to drive one monitor, or they can be used independently to drive a 3rd and/or 4th monitor. There's no advantage for SLI in FS, but lots for using several monitors. I have a 42, plus two 19s. The 42 for the game and the others for charts, gauges, etc. These 19s are really cheap. I'm beyond spoiled now, wondering how I could have even lived without this setup all my life.

>I was thinking that SLI meant I could run two vid cards>in the future, if there was an advantage, other than more than>two monitors. It appears to me that the motherboard you have listed is good for two ATI video cards (at 8X instead of 16X) since it is Crossfire, not SLI. Not a problem with one nVidia video card.ArtBiostar TF560-A2+, Athlon 64X2-6000+, 4GB RAM, Geforce 8800GTS-320MB, 500W PSU, 250GB HD, FSX(SP1-SP2), Audigy SE sound, Vista Home Premium 32 bit, CH Yoke & Pedals, 22" WS LCD monitor

Art

Crossfire is not meant to be run with multi monitors. As I recall, it actually blocks multi-mon when activated. Crossfire and SLI were originally inteneded to use a second (supposedly lesser) GPU with your primary video card, thereby adding addtional processing power for better graphics.