Sign in to follow this  
Guest simjunkie

Q9650 & chance at 4GHz vs Q6600 @ 3.6GHz

Guest simjunkie

'disable all of the CPU power manaagement fucntions'Nick, does that include 'execute disable bit' and 'TM monitor'? I already have C1E and EIST disabled as well as virtualization tech and vanderpool. All those disabled?I was thinking of using the loadline calibration like I had on the Q6600 but I heard from Anandtech that my asus board had a problem with that and 45nm cpu's. But I do have the latest BIOS and I'll go in & turn it on and set it as you advised. I don't like all that vDroop.Thanks! :)-jkEdit: OK, loadline works really well. Just set 1.318 BIOS and now very little change under load, but things started getting too warm under load (high 60's C). Set 1.300 and it reads 1.288 cpu-z under both idle & Prime95 load, but still a little warm (mid 60's). Only around 0.01-0.03v droop nowI ran small FFTs and blend for 12 hours each over the last two days at 1.248v cpu-z full load(1.325 BIOS setting) before I stopped the test (no errors) but that was without loadline enabled. So I'm thinking now: how does 1.29v BIOS for around a cpu-z reading of around 1.27v full Prime load. Then stress test for 16-20 hours.Does that sound too low?

Guest Nick_N

What are you using to check the temp of the proc?Are you sure you are looking at the core temp and not the case temp of the proc? As long as you have verified you are looking at the core temp diode reading, which is usually 10-13c higher than the case temp though software like CoreTemp, then your next step is to locate the Tjunction Max on that slug.If tjM is in example 100c then your max temp under a prime load for hours should not exceed 80c and that would be totally acceptable for a STRESS TEST check. You will never heat the proc up using FSX or normal use like you will with prime or a stress test software such as ORTHOS. Therefore as long as you remain 20c under tjM for the slug in such tests.. you are fine and have found the max stable point where the proc will function without perf loss. I usually keep it under 25 but that

Guest simjunkie

I use Realtemp v2.70. I also have Everest 4.6 If you think that's more accurate. I just finished 8 hours prime @ 1.272v Vcore as read under load in cpu-z, no errors. Max temp on hottest core read 58 deg in Realtemp. But the Tjmax in Realtemp shows as 95 deg, which is 5 less than what the real Tjmax for this slug is, correct?So I add 5 deg to my readings to get 63 deg max, is that right? Do you think I should use Everest to monitor temps?other readings in BIOS are Vtt @ 1.26v, CPU PLL @ 1.59v, NB @ 1.52v -jkEdit: I can't believe how good this chip seems to be. 4GHz under 1.3v? WOW!!!!

Guest Nick_N

>I use Realtemp v2.70. I also have Everest 4.6 If you think>that's more accurate. I just finished 8 hours prime @ 1.272v>Vcore as read under load in cpu-z, no errors. Max temp on>hottest core read 58 deg in Realtemp. But the Tjmax in>Realtemp shows as 95 deg, which is 5 less than what the real>Tjmax for this slug is, correct?>>So I add 5 deg to my readings to get 63 deg max, is that>right? Do you think I should use Everest to monitor temps?>>other readings in BIOS are Vtt @ 1.26v, CPU PLL @ 1.59v, NB @>1.52v >>-jk>>Edit: I can't believe how good this chip seems to be. 4GHz>under 1.3v? WOW!!!!Yes.. its a great slug which is why the 500 dollar price tag. Intel knows thatRealTemp and CoreTemp typically show 2 different values for tjM and Everest I would not trust completely. Lets assume its 95.. and I thought it was 100 but I would need to verify that to be sure@ tjM 95, 70-75c is your max 4-core prime stress test load temp... completely safe and fineso if you are trying to get to 450Mhz from 445, you have room to work in VcoreCheck it in CoreTemp and see what it reads for tjM and the cores

Guest Nick_N

.... and do keep in mind that a 4 core stress test will run that proc about 10-15c hotter than your most demanding applications. There can be some exceptions however you should never, ever see the same temp running FSX an other typcial load type apps as you do under a 4-core stress test load assuming the HSF is efficient and working correctly.

Guest Nick_N

and the way you are running that slug beats the living snot out of the Q6600 which is why when I saw your memory ability and you mentioned you wanted more.. I said if you can get into the 450Mhz range to enjoy the upgrade.;-)

Guest simjunkie

I'll go for 450-455 next and try to leave it at that, I gotta start flying! I have a TRUE too but right now I'm using the OCZ Vendetta 2 which runs with the TRUE according to my temp readings over the time I've had it. I also modified the Vendetta's push-pin mount to use the bolt-through/backplate parts from the TRUE. Haven't lapped anything yet, that's a great Saturday project soon. My Q66 was lapped and my TRUE was too but the Vendetta seems to cool just as well & it weighs less.Another great thing is that according to my UPS power usage meter, in my clock I'm using around 45 less watts with the Q9650 than I used with the Q6600, at least at idle.Cheers!-jk

Guest Nick_N

I could tell you were on the ball with this... good jobWith most Asus BIOSes 450 marks another change on the NB so anywhere between 450 and 463 would be the hard sweetspot for your rig.

Guest Nick_N

and one last tid-bitFSX is a memory subsystems worst nightmare... just because you are stable with prime does not mean you will be 100% stable in FSX. If you have reached the limit and edge on that memory you may see some initial lockups or glitches that require a trim. Reduce FSB (last resort if @ 450), raise vcore a touch, NB voltage, or mem voltage a touch and with 4GB a touch of clock skew or even some VTT tweaks may be needed however usually if its stable like you are testing, its good.. just be aware that if the memory is at its limits it may show fine in prime and other stress tests and glitch in FSX after or during a long flight in hard hitting scenery.You can tell by process of elimination if you are hitting the memory wall or the CPU wall.. this is one of the reasons I always purchase memory with the overhead built into it. That way I know what wall I am hitting quickly and do not need to push the limit... worth the investment when you see the end results and spend less time in setup over just plain bliss and happy times in FSX.Good luck

> Last night I was flying a short flight, KORD to>KSTL, and my overclocked sys hardlocked near Joliet on>climbout. Nothing more aggravating than losing a flight like>that, and I thought "!@#!@ I was just about to press the ;>key" to save the flight.That's why I never O/C and fly without AutoSave. Google on AutoSave.zip for Flight Simulator. (I don't think there's an FSX version, though.)

Guest D17S

Plus, flying with anything above a 400Mhz FSB is just encouraging an unstable simmin' session. Like any good test pilot, one should hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Guest simjunkie

Sam please go away. I have what I need and my sim would blow yours away even before this new chip. You're not qualified to give advice in this thread.This isn't a thread about how to get the most out of a 400FSB, been there done that. It's about making the switch to a chip that, frankly, you're not smart enough to invest in.-jkEdit: I should say "not smart enough to advise on"

>Sam please go away. I have what I need and my sim would blow>yours away even before this new chip. You're not qualified to>give advice in this thread.>Why are you flaming him? He didn't do anything to you!RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Plus, flying with anything above a 400Mhz FSB is just>encouraging an unstable simmin' session. Like any good test>pilot, one should hope for the best, but prepare for the>worst.Well I wasn't over 400 I was right at it. :)I *expect* one of these I build to run 400 stable. When it doesn't I work on it til it can.RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett

>>That's why I never O/C and fly without AutoSave. Google on>AutoSave.zip for Flight Simulator. (I don't think there's an>FSX version, though.) Yes I thought about that program at the time it locked on me. "If only I'd had that autosave thing". RhettFS box: E8500 (@ 3.80 ghz), AC Freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5E3 Premium, BFG 8800GTX 756 (nVidia 169 WHQL), 4gb DDR3 1600 Patriot Cas7 7-7-7-20 (2T), PC Power 750, WD 150gb 10000rpm Raptor, Seagate 500gb, Silverstone TJ09 case, Vista Ultimate 64ASX Client: AMD 3700+ (@ 2.6 ghz), 7800GT

Rhett