Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

Most overclockable and STABLE DDR2 memory recommendations

I have been thinking of replacing my 2 x 1gig Corsair XMS2 DDR memory sticks with 2 X 2gig sticks. Is there a definite favorite for overclockability AND MOST IMPORTANTLY STABILITY? The Corsairs have been rock solid but I'm not really pushing them much over their rated PC800 currently- that will change soon.I would like to improve my e8500 OC (currently at 4 gHz) and also be ready for my e8600 upgrade. The MB is already X48 so the memory seems to be the limiting factor.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Pretty sure you want to go with a solid brand like Mushkin, OCZ, CorsairJust get a pair rated faster than PC6400, such as:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146785http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227289That way you have a litte extra when overclocking

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Carl,Do you think FSX will see any improvement if you overclock the memory?Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Nick_N

>Hi Carl,>>Do you think FSX will see any improvement if you overclock the>memory?>>Regards,>Jim Karn... you may wish to grab a cup of coffee and read the following threads through to the end which shows quite specifically and without question higher memory speed and lower latency will in fact increase FSX performanceIt started here:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=37203&page=the last thread, part 6 is where all the information is locatedhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho..._id=37210&mode=Unfortunately the images are gone but the information is still there and although it was targeted at a DDR2/DDR3 compare in FSX, the engineering behind the tweaking is the same for DDR2 as it is for DDR3.Its a long read but most of the information is thereUnfortunately my charts and graphs are no longer there due to the forum software which deletes the images after a time period.Noel is probably your best source on this forum now for discussing the results and how it works.good luck

>... you may wish to grab a cup of coffee and read the>following threads through to the end which shows quite>specifically and without question higher memory speed and>lower latency will in fact increase FSX performance...Hi Nick,Coffee, you say? I needed a breakfast buffet for that thread :-lol In another one of my senior moments, I'd forgotten about those threads. It's all about the details. Thanks for the reminder.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest Nick_N

>>... you may wish to grab a cup of coffee and read the>>following threads through to the end which shows quite>>specifically and without question higher memory speed and>>lower latency will in fact increase FSX performance...>>Hi Nick,>>Coffee, you say? I needed a breakfast buffet for that thread>:-lol >>In another one of my senior moments, I'd forgotten about those>threads. It's all about the details. Thanks for the>reminder.>>Regards,>Jim KarnLOL!I have THOSE MOMENTS TOO!Sorry.. but the thread was designed so everyone can see where I based the information and how the conclusions came about so there was no speculation as to my methodology in the result.Please do keep in mind that although you can get much better results with FSX if you are running the right (spec out of the box) DDR2 memory and latency product and using that technique, the results with DDR2 are no where near as impressive as using DDR3 in which the right parts are practically plug and go to achieve much better results.You asked if it makes and difference, the answer is yes... how much depends on the system and how well you learn how to tweak it using the right steps.Some will say they see no difference, others will post they see a great deal.. you know how that works as there can be a lot of reasons why it seems to be true for some and others its not as effective.Parts, their quality, spec, the persons tech ability, the BIOS, the board itself, temps.. all factors in success.Me, I am a lazy plug-and-go person

While I love the sinuous turns this thread has taken, I'm looking for specific brands and model numbers that people have OC'd well.Thanks!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest Nick_N

CarlI sincerely apologize.. I though I had added an answer for you to my response to Jim at the bottom as the OP but somehow I must have lost that edit clicking the forum software buttonsGoing from 1x2GB to 2x2GB will reduce your CAS ability in a clock which is where most of the clocking advantage comes from, that and the MCH READ DELAY or lower tRD abilityHowever going from 2GB to 4GB you gain with FSX so it does help offset that loss and is worth the upgrade to 4GB.I have Anthony Vos the owner of Ground Environment currently running these stickshttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145197and he is able to clock at 453MHz FSB DDR2 1086 CPU STRAP 333 (5:8 memory ratio as I recall) on the 5-5-5 timing with them on a Q9450 proc but he also has an x38 motherboard toohttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/192542.jpgBecause of the fact that it is difficult to high clock stable DDR2 and the industry has pretty much pulled or exhausted the cherry "bins' of high speed low latency DDR2 memory chips.. I think for the cost those sticks would serve you well.Do keep in mind there is no room on those 2x2GB sticks for pushing CAS... its plug and go at 5-5-5 timing. Your clock will be based on FSB ability, CPU STRAP/memory ratio.The only other step you could take would be to go with their 2nd from the top "cherry bin" which is the same memory chip as the first set but has tested to higher speeds on the same CAS timing and slightly higher tRAShttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145205Those I can not vouch for as I have no experience with them and I think Corsair has pulled their DDR2 1200 CAS 5 bin product so that is about the best you are going to do.With Corsair you typically need to run the max rated Vdimm for clocking and do make sure your motherboard does not have specific preferences to the memory slots.. some require higher speed, lower latency product be located in specified slots.Make sure your motherboard supports memory voltages of at least 2.1 to 2.2vGood luck and sorry again about missing that edit! Because of how many forums I hop to answer questions (I post on several EE boards chatting engineese too) and with the time constraints many times I just type'n-go and do not proof the post

Nick:No apologies needed- there was a PhD dissertation in that link ;)- I enjoyed it.Much appreciated!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest D17S

Overclocking ram is great fun and allows a user to explore some Real interesting aspects of computer-internals, but sadly its advantage to FS'ing is slim to none . . . to actually system-damaging.DDR2 will top out well below where any advantage might even be argued. DDR3 allows one to increase speed into a subjectively observable realm, but we've seen that goin' there is providing an increasingly unstable response. Something's wrong. Buyer beware.So (now that we're free!) what's your feel about the frames of the 744 vs the MD11 on your system? Feels about the same to me.

Guest Nick_N

>Nick:>>No apologies needed- there was a PhD dissertation in that link>;)- I enjoyed it.>>Much appreciated!>You are welcome CarlThe x48 you have should not have any trouble with the sticks I postedYou would be running them at their stock timing and voltage with a mild bump in memory clock so no problem with damage what-so-ever. The memory is designed to run that.Corsair would replace them within a week of return if anything happened anyway With your E8500 which is one of the best dual core screamers the load on the northbridge is reduced so you do not have the quad core cooker most of us do and the clock should run very smooth.No damage or issuesgood luck

Thanks!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png| XP Pro SP3 with FS-GS System Unification | 2 x APC UPS | Coolermaster Stacker 830 SE | Asus P5E-Deluxe (X48) | e8500 @ 4gHz | Tuniq Tower 120 | EVGA 8800GT 512MB | Sony 40" Bravia XBR | 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2 | 500GB Seagate Barracuda 32MB SATA2 x2 (Acronis) | Corsair HX620W PS | CH Products Yoke-Pedals-Throttle Quadrant | Aerosoft 747MCP-EFIS-EICAS |

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper