Sign in to follow this  
Guest GREENGRASS

EXTERNAL DRIVE

Guest GREENGRASS

HiI have a 320 gig drive at the moment and have used 169 gig.My fsx uses i would think 80 % of this,as i have almost all the programs made for fsx,although the sim is working fine,i think i may have got to the stage where adding any more programs may slow things down.My question is if i transfer the whole fsx set up onto a 1000gigexternal drive would it perform ok on such a drive?thanks for your advice DONintel core 2 duo e4300 cpu3gig ddr2 667 memory320 seagate sata 216mb hddgeforce 8800gtx pci-e768mbpower600wwindows home standard vista 3 19"widescreen on triplehead2go

Guest Nick_N

DonNever use an external drive for a performance application unless that drive is eSATAIf your external is eSATA = (external SATA) a USB or firewire drive is VERY SLOW in compare. eSATA requires the motherboard have the SATA ports on the rear or a SATA addon card in place however that card must be PCie based and not standard PCI.FSX belongs on a drive that is using a communication buss that will not hinder the file calls.If your external is eSATA then you are OK to tranfer, if not, don't do itPlace other things you may be storing on that external USB or Firewire drive and use the internal drive for FSX.. or get another internalgood luck

DonI totally agree with NickN with regard to esata drives. This is from: http://bleedingedge.com.au/blog/archives/2...ata_faster.html"We used an application called HDTach (available from tinyurl.com/rf85v ) to compare and measure the performance of the eSATA drives against both USB 2.0 and Firewire alternatives.The results were impressive. The best average read time we could wring out of the drive in USB 2.0- mode was 31 MB/s, compared to 55.3MB/s from the internal Maxtor SATA drive.Both the Sarotech and the Welland eSATA performance was substantially better than the internal hard drive, at 61MB/s.In practical terms, that meant that we were able to transfer 19.7GB of data to the Sarotech and the Welland external drives in eSATA mode in just over six minutes. Using USB 2.0 on one of our other external hard drives, it took 13 minutes 35 seconds."Imagine trying to run FSX on USB 2.0 (Apparently X-Plane will run OK on a USB 2.0 ext HDD)Just make sure you use SATAII HDD and the eSATA card supports SATAII drives.RegardsPeter Hayes