Sign in to follow this  
spotlope

GeForce 4 vs. GeForce 2

Hi everyone,I was expecting to buy a new video card and most certanly if I do it will be the GeForce 4(not the MX one). My question is, in terms of FPS, is there really a difference between the GForce 4 and the GeForce 2??? I'm using Fs2002.My sys:P3 700mhz, FSB100mhz128mb RAM PC100GeForce 2 GTS 32mb11.5Gb HD 90Mb WIN Swap fileThanks,Jean.

Not really in FPS but in image quality o boy a very huge differenceUpgrade yesterday from V7700TI (Asus Geforce 2 with 64 mb DDR, hmm... one lucky other PC in my network...) to Asus V8420S (550 mHz, default no O/C) TI 4200with 128 mb ddr and this card rocks... Go for a higher processor if you want to gain fps...Succes...System specs..AMD XP2000+1 gb DDR ram 2700A7V333 Asus mobo60 gb 7200 rpm HD (maxtor)V8420S (550 mHz) TI4200Etc...Win2K Pro SP32x AAQ and x4 etc...Andr

André

You might want to wait a few weeks and check pricing on the new GeForce FX...should be about twice as fast as the Ge4. Looks like the $399-$499 price range.

Guest PaulL01

Check the GF3 vs. GF4 link below, GF2 performance on average is about 2/3rds the performance of the GF3 so keep that in mind as you look at the results. Also video card performance is exponential with processor speed and for a system of your spec you will get more for your money by just grabbing a GF3TI200/500 as they are available for less than $100 and you won't have to fork out the extra dough for a more powerful power supply as you would likely need one for the GF4.

Jean...BEFORE you update your Vid card from what you have now, I'd recommend you first update your RAM memory to 512 megs ofPC-133 mhz CAS2 DIMM modules and see what that does for your total performance.If you read my latest post, you will get more detail as this is exactly what I did, and the results were amazing!I have a GF-2 32 meg board as well, and without replacing that, the video system performance with a 64 meg AGP aperture (in BIOS) went through the roof, in real-life terms.I also upgraded my BIOS to the most current version for my MOBO.It only cost me $82.78 to go to 512 mets of high-performance RAMAs a result, I won't be replacing my GF-2 board nor my present system at all. I am most satisfied!Check it out...Mitch R.

Hi Mitch!Thanks for the tips!But answer me something: what is MOBO and BIOS???Thanks again, Jean.

>Also video card performance is exponential with processor speed Increasingly, or decreasingly, exponential? I've never done any benchmarks, but my gut feeling has always been that it is relatively linear.Relatedly, what do you use to set D3D settings?I'm the proud new owner of a Radeon 9500, successfully patched with Soft9700 to near 9700 Pro specs (cannot quite match the memory speed of a 9700 Pro). :-kewl It replaced a legacy Voodoo 5500. ;) -Basil

Mobo is shorthand for motherboard. BIOS stands for Basic Input-Output System and is the set of instructions that tells your computer how to configure itself and prepare to load Windows, in a nutshell.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Guest PaulL01

>>Also video card performance is exponential with processor speed >>Increasingly, or decreasingly, exponential? It increases with processor speed.