Sign in to follow this  

who else would like to see more of the "Classic airline

Guest gooper

I just wanted to take an informal poll to se how many flight simmers out there would like to see a return of the classic airliners where FMC's and MCDU's simply did not exist. witht the release of Cpt.Sim's 727, the VMAX 747 and the soon to be released DF727 it looks like my dreams are slowly being answered as I love the more hands on experience these aircraft give you such as having to hand-fly SID's, STAR's, DME arcs,etc,etc. as much as i like fling PIC and other such aircraft with glass cockpits I am slowly being drawn back to the older aircraft which are much more interactive and u really gain an apprecaition for the flying and navigation skills it takes . i sincerly hope this emerging trend continues and hopfully someday (soon!) someone will produce my favorite- the L1011!! just my thoughts on the subject.

I whole-heartedly agree with you! I also am a big fan of the quirky, older stock. Even the recent YS-11 release from AFG underscores this trend. I'd go a little further though and suggest that we see more craft from that magical time when the prop liners ruled the skies. Specifically, I'd be ecstatic to see a nice Connie in Gmax with a good VC and flight characteristics. Right now I satisfy that particular urge by flying Pilot's B314 Clipper, and it's a fine ship indeed. Some examples from the dawn of the jet age would also be welcome. Comet, anyone?

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

You won't spend a better $24 than you will for the Iron Knuckles DC-9 from Flight 1. I am very impressed with the fidelity of the cockpit and the steady flight characterisics. There is also a wealth of real-world info from airline operating manuals. You can get as real as you want here. If you like the CS 727, this is a nice companion for those short hops!Colin

Greetings all!I agree whole-heartedly with the orginal poster!I would also love to see more of the piston liners (DC4's, 6's, 7',s...etc..)There are some nice models out there, the FS-Design Berlin site (http://www.fsdesign-berlin.da.ru/) comes to mind, but there aren't any panels that really do them justice.Just my .02 worth...Regards,ScottKJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

The only exposure I've had to some of these planes was during a recent trip to Fairbanks, AK, where there were a number of different planes (many I couldn't ID) pushing cargo. I'd love to have some of these in the sim. I'd be thrilled with the NATS DC4 that is supposed to come out...someday...David

Starting on the 9th of this month, in the library, are some re-vamped Convair 580's, one of my favorites. I have the earlier versions, and haven't tried the new ones, but the originals fly great. Check out cv580.zip for starters. The others are repaints. I'd like to see more along this line. :-wave Ron from behind the Cheddar Curtain. :-wave

Guest Bjorn Ghezzi

Hi guys,I have bought the Vmax B747-200, and it is really great! But I have to admit that to say it is frustrating is the least, Have to hand fly it on departures, and sometimes I wish I had a co-pilot to do the a/p engaging and setting while I am busy flying the whale on the SID. But, when you do get things right, I think it is much rewarding then just hitting Z, and light a sigarette! I am trying to get the hang of it but still it will be long before I do a full flight with it! Here you really have to practice before you fly! Like the real ones.Regards,Bjorn

Having only just joined, following several years of reading the forums [which I think are excellent!] I can now put pen to paper, as it were. I have just found a new interest in the 'classic airliners' and have for several weeks been scouring the websites for 727/737-200's. having flown a lot on Ryan Air 737/200, I thought that would be a good starting point.I have now completed my fleet [ryan, vodaphone, hert etc.] and have downloaded a couple of 727's. I downloaded a fantastic panel for the 727 which takes you back to the old days of flying, albiet there is auto pilot, it is limited. As for the 737/200 there are not a lot of panels out there that reflect this old bird [1960's]Should any body know of a good one, then please advise.Regards

Hi,I agree with you 100%.I raised a similar question with FS2000. But I asked if there are more than myself who also would like to have the airports modelled as they were in the 60/70

Staffan

Guest sidewinder

I love modern jetliners...747-400, 777, 757/767, 737NG, A320, A340Aligning IRSs give me a real buzz!

Around 90% of my FS flying is done with airliners (but that may change if the Meridian lives up to all the hype).I'm a big fan of jet airliners from all eras, and I have pretty much every commercial available (PSS 747, 777, A320, 767PIC, RFP 747-200, DF 737-400, IK DC-9, CS 727, etc) and quite a few of the better quality freeware ones too. Lately I've found myself drawn to the older stuff too. Whilst I do enjoy flying the very modern types, I get a great sense of achievement when I've completed a flight in one of the older airliners.I've done some circuit bashing in the RFP747, and now I'm ploughing through the manuals to make sense of it all ;)As well as the more publicised commercial addons, there's some excellent freeware stuff that covers the classic jets...HJG 707 with Paul Golding's panel.HJG DC-8 with their excellent DC-8-50 panel.Anything from David Maltby (fantasic aircraft crying out for some nice panels!)Mike Stone's Gmax 727 with Charles Fox's FDE and Richard Probst's 727 panelProject Freeware's BAC 1-11 with Paul Golding's panel.There's some very nice stuff on the horizon too:HJG have just released their latest DC-8-60 and 70 series, and they have some very nice panels for these on the way too.Dreamfleet's 727FFG have a very promising DC-10 panel in the works that should go very will with their excellent DC-10-10 and -30 series.PSS ConcordePSS ConcordePSS Concorde... :)I'd really love to see somebody do a really nice rendition of some of the classic British designs. The VC10 is a favourite of mine and I'd love to ply the virtual skies in a BOAC VC10!However, there is one classic airliner that is truly special and has been overlooked for FAR too long......the L1011!!!:)

Agreed,The L-1011 was and it still is a beautiful aircraft. An aircraft ahead of its time when it was built. If it could be reproduced in FS with the same gusto and fidelity as 767PIC I would be one happy simmer. I hope developers are reading this. I'm kinda getting tired of all the overlaps of 777 and 747. Regards,Andy CecchettiKCMH

Hi guys: I couldn't agree with the above comments more. I've loved flying the old propliners and learning their quirks. You can find many of them already at a great site. Tom Gibson's California Classic's page is great. Find it here http://www.calclassic.com/. There's a forum as well on Simufly.com; you can just click the link from CAlClassics site.Happy flying.

Guest H_Kev55

Several weeks ago, ProjectAI established a file library for odler/non-existant airline livery repaints.Already having the 727 in our hanger and the release of the 707, we've begun to accumulate several older liveries for use with our AI aircraft.This seems to be a growing part of our hobby that has hardly been tapped.With the release of new flyable aircraft, I hope we'll see some piston driven aircraft soon.The Connie would great, even a the DC series would be a welcome sight.I'm all in favor of seeing more vintage aircraft.I hope some designers will see how popular it will be.KJImagine a ProjectAI banner here.

Agree! Also ,VNAV sucks and FMCs require a lot of work. Trouble is, older airliners require even more work to fly! That said, I have the following in my stable:HJG 707+Paul Golding 707 panel (fantastic!)DC-10+Staffan's DC-10 panel; fantastic comboVickers Viscount in BEA colorsVC-10Comet 4 and 4Band a Caravelle somewhere.I'd like to see a Bristol Britannia and Vickers Vanguard in FS. Great planes they were.I'd love authentic panels for the earlier jets and late-model pax props.JS