Sign in to follow this  

What the...? My ATC is trying to kill me!

Having recently discovered the joys of flying IFR in 2k2 I plotted a course from BOS to DTW. Great flight all the way through approach clearances in my 757. ATC vectors me for 21R and I'm at 1,500ft 2 miles out of touchdown when instructed to contact the tower. I do so and am told I have clearance for 3L??@#! Also, twice while on approach to other airports I've been instructed to turn around 180 degrees and climb to my filed altitude and resume own navigation as if I were departing back the other way. Anybody knows what gives??Also, does anyone have a fix for "popoising"? The above mentioned 757 does this on AP after achieving the dialed in FL. I think it must be something in the Airfile, but I'm not sure what.Yours in frustration,

>ATC vectors me for >21R and I'm at 1,500ft 2 miles out of touchdown when >instructed to contact the tower. I do so and am told I have >clearance for 3L??@#! There's another post in this forum in the last couple days dealing with this; I think it has something to do with using real weather and having winds change between your initial contact with approach and your handoff to tower. FS Meteo has a preference setting to allow you to "lock" your destination weather.>Also, twice while on approach to >other airports I've been instructed to turn around 180 >degrees and climb to my filed altitude and resume own >navigation as if I were departing back the other way. >Anybody knows what gives?? Don't know what this is about, but I know one fix: buy Radar Contact 3.0. Microsoft's default ATC is a typical first effort, full of shortcomings. If you want to fly IFR without goofy ATC, use RC. Can't help you with the porpoising issue, but I've experienced it before and I know it's been discussed in this forum. Hang in there! :-waveMikehttp://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

ugcx_banner.png

Thanks for the reply. Is FSMeteo that much better than ActiveSky? I have the freeware version. And yeah I've been thinking about getting RC. All in good time. The porpoise issue has been disscussed here and I was hoping someone know the fix.Thanks,

Guest PhilipManwaring

I believe that ActiveSky also has the destination lock feature - at least I know the commercial WXre version does. It's a bargain at just $14.99.

Guest dogknot

ActiveSky wxRE has all the features, plus some. A super weather program and a real bargain at $14.95(U.S.) I love it and don't fly without it. http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ Porpoising fix: Open your aircraft.cfg and scroll down to the heading 'autopilot'. add this line use_no_default_pitch=1 You can also add use_no_default_bank=1 which allows you to bank the aircraft by deselecting the 'Heading' gauge, but still having the autopilot engaged.&l;autopilot&r;autopilot_available=1flight_director_available=1default_vertical_speed=1800.0autothrottle_available=1autothrottle_arming_required=1autothrottle_max_rpm=90autothrottle_takeoff_ga=1pitch_takeoff_ga=8;use_no_default_pitch=1use_no_default_bank=1

Hey Dognot! Just what I was looking for. Thanks alot.Best,

Well, sorry to report that Dognots fix was already in the file when I checked so I'm still rockin my way through the skies. This ATC IFR thing has got me really puzzled. Every airport I go to now vectors me to a runway only to have the tower, after I'm handed off, change my clearance to the reverse runway. I just landed at LAX 25R against instructions (gasp)(I was a few hundred yards from threshold and at 400 feet when instructed to abort so I just put it down), there were planes lined up waiting to take off as I passed. Then I pull off the runway look around and there are planes taking off 25R and 7L at the same time. This is messed up. Is this typical IFR behavior?

By no means am I an expert, but one possibility comes to mind: some AI aircraft were instructed to taxi to 25R, then the winds changed, and the remaining aircraft went to 7L, but they were both permitted to take off based on their prior instructions.Is this typical IFR behavior? I think it's typical for MS ATC IFR, which seems to rely on a static weather environment. It's certainly not typical real world IFR behavior!http://jdtllc.com/images/RCsupporter.jpg

ugcx_banner.png

I don't want to beat this thing to death, but.... Re the ATC issue: I switched aircraft to a Beach 1900D and took a flightplan from DTC to CLT. Everything lovely, winds 280 at 9, approached 36L got passed off to the tower and again was told I had clearance in the opposite direction. There is definitly a bug in my program. It happens every time. Could this be possible? I don't see anyone else complaining about this problem so it has to be specific to my system.But darned if I know how to fix it. I guess I'll have to buy Radar Contact, but FS2k4 is just around the corner.