Sign in to follow this  

Why does my HDD led blink constantly...

Guest abent

every 2 seconds like clockwork even when I am running no programs. I've turned everything off that I can using EndItAll. It won't stop blinking. This DID NOT happen before I did my computer upgrade. I thought it might be Norton2003, but I turned that off too and it doesn't stop the blinking.Thanks, Adam

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Adam,I am not a hardware guru, but I have also experienced this problem after moving disk drives around. I'll assume you have only a single (IDE) drive in the PC, and I suspect that the ribbon cable between the drive and the disk controller has three connectors on it: one for the controller, one for the "Master" drive and one for the "Slave" drive. You may be using the "Slave" connector for your "Master" drive or vice-versa. First, confirm that your drive has been correctly configured as a "Master" drive with the jumpers. Then connect the "Master" connector (probably at the end of the cable) to the "Master" drive. Your drive documentation may help identify this connector, or just try the unused one.>This DID NOT happen before I did my computer upgrade.If this does not work, perhaps more info about your upgrade and drive configuration may help.Steve

Guest abent

Excellent advice. I will try switching the connector.Thanks Steve!!!!Adam

Hi Adam.When I first switched my system over to WindowsXP, I encounted a rythmic accessing of the harddrive. It was driving me crazy.I contacted MS, and although they were trying to help, and followed-up with emails, their advice didn't help...About 1 month after the problem started, it suddenly stopped with the death of the motherboard!Turns out the board was already terminal when I installed XP. New motherboard, and the problem never came back.It's possible you damaged the motherboard during the upgrade.Dick

Try disabling "Go Back" It worked for me!!Good luck!!

abent; Is your harddrive actually being accessed or is the light just blinking. What mobo do you have?? I have the Intel D850EMV2 and the HD light blinks about every two seconds. It's not accessing the harddrive. It's just blinking. It's done that since new, about six months now. I just thought it was normal for this mobo.

Guest abent

I figured it out...I think.I had installed another 256DDR on my mobo bringing it up to 786MB. WinMe is only supposed to be able to handle 512 without Vcache adjustments. I took out the new 256 stick and the blinking stopped. I'll have to do some more reading on Vcache because I think I could use the extra RAM with all the add-ons I run. My old system ran 786PC133 no problem under WinMe - go figure!mgdbottled, I'm not really sure if it was actually accessing the HDD, I just assumed it was due to the blinking. My mobo is a MSI 648Max. That's some system you have... :-beerchug How do you like the 9700?LearPilot, what's "Go Back"? I don't recall seeing anything in Me called that.I appreciate the help gents!Thanks, Adam

Oops! Ignore this. I just noticed you're running ME.--------------------------------Adam - Here's a piece of freeware that may help you tell, for sure, whether the disk is being accessed. It's a neat little software version of the HDD access LED indicator:http://www.oosoft.de/english/products/oodl/Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.