Sign in to follow this  

fs2002 and memory problems.... best solution?

hello,Well, I finally gave up on trying to make fs2002 function reliably with 256 mb of 333mhz DDR Kingmax memory without crashing to the desktop with the old "your system has run out of memory flight simulator will now exit". I started having this problem with the PSS A320 and other highly detailed planes and panels like the PSS dash 8. The fact that I now have over 25,000 PAI and other flight plans in my traffic.bgl file probably doesent help either ;-) . Ive tried lowering my sliders a bit and no go. The only way I dont get the error is by lowering them alot and then it feels like Im using fs2000 again. So here are two possible solutions... Another stick of Kingmax 256 (since I already have 256mb of memory) that would give me.... well Im to lazy to do the math myself and I dont have a calculator near me so lets just say Id have 256mb more :-lol. Second possible solution but I dont know if it would solve my problems... a new video card with more onboard memory. I currently have a Geforce 2 mx400 with 64mb onboard SD(slow! I think the SD in SD ram stands for Slow Dumb RAM J/K ) RAM. The way I understand it once the video card uses up all of its memory it starts using my system memory for graphics and not leaving any for the other parts of fs2002. So now I guess my question is what should I do? new video card or more memory? I cant get both at the same time since its almost the end of the month and Im short on money.Thanks alot,AndrewKRAL

If you use the PSS dash 8 and the PSS airbus with windows 98, and it crashes to desktop, you don't have a problem. The virtual cockpit gauges in these two planes cause a memory leak and will cause a out of memory or crash to desktop. Newer operating systems like XP prevent this from occurring because system files in Ram are protected better than Windows98. Try this workaround with the PSS dash 8 and PSS A320 before doing any hardware changes..Remove the virtual cockpit gauges by putting // in front of the entire section so it looks like this:////size_mm=1024,1024//pixel_size=1024,1024//texture=$VC//background_color=0,0,0//visible=0//gauge00=PSS-Dash8!Airspeed_V, 256,0,255,255EtcGood luck

hello,Thanks for replying, I have one more question though? Which VC guages are the ones that cause the memory leak in the PSS airbus? Im asking because I would like to keep the PSS PFD vc guage and and the EWD guage and then replace the rest of the VC guages with other non pss airbus guages I have. thanks, Andrew