Sign in to follow this  

Who is going to spend $65.00 on Meridan Bundle?

Guest DaveKDEN

>I don't see apples and oranges-just another choice of where you put your money before you die and what you get out of it.That's a very accurate way of stating it. However, I still think the comparisons between FS add-ons and other forms of entertainment don't make much sense. I wouldn't trade a day at the Zoo and the enjoyment I get out of watching the fascination of my Daughters for any add-on. That day might cost me a total of $50.00 for my family (which is a bargain) for 6 hours (before the kids wear out). While I might get 60 or 600 hours of enjoyment out of a good add-on before it gets old, the difference between the two events doesn't make for an accurate comparison.Just my thoughts on it,DavePS; I'm very glad this thread has maintained a very cordial tone. I've grown very tired of slug fests.

Guest SoarPics
Amen to that, Dave.:-beerchug

>PS; I'm very glad this thread has maintained a very cordial >tone. I've grown very tired of slug fests. I'll second that. Thanks to all of you.

>other vendors charge $50 for this piece aloneAre you sure about the $50? More like $34.95 for the GNS530 and $24.95 for the GNS430...

Depends on your relation with said wife. If she'd be happy to be rid of you for a few hours each day... I think you get the point? :-lol

>>I love this "I'm not going to pay it" mentality that springs up right before a big release. It's so transparent because most of us here will pay it...>Indeed it is. Pointless whining in the hope the price will be lowered.>>PS; For the record, I enjoyed Abacus' Private Pilot and >Coroprate Pilot for FS2000. Though the going price at the >time was $35.00, you got numerous aircraft per package that >made the price well worth it Even though they're very dated >for FS2002 standards, they still function and are enjoyable >to run (every now and then). With advances in FS, these new >"revolutionary" designs with all the bells and whistles will >be dated before you know it. Will we need to spend $50.00 >for a single high quality add-on for FS2004? What about >$100.00 for an add-on for FS2006? When does it get too >expensive for you? For me it's the ~$20.00 point. >And would you still pay $35 for the same package (same quality aircraft with the same panels) as you did back then?If someone were to market that package as new for $10 today he'd be laughed away.Development of addons has gotten substantially more expensive. In the time Abacus could produce the entire PP package in 2000 Flight1 could now produce a single aircraft (it probably took them longer too...).That means of course that the price of that single aircraft must be at least as high as the price of the previous entire package to break even with the same number of units sold (and probably higher, which means F1 either thinks to sell more units or is content with a lower profit margin).>PPS; I have nothing against any of the payware developers >out there. In fact, most of them are true artisans and >Gentlemen (with exceptions). I wish them the best, but I >think it's important for us as CONSUMERS to express what we >feel is a fair price in the FS add-on marketplace. None >should question the fact that we all have the right to >choose what we buy and what we pass on because it's plain >ole' too expensive. >Not having seen the package (apart from some screenshots) I have to go from other Flight1 products I own. Seeing those I think the price will be a fair one.If you check out current addons, you'll see that most high quality aircraft cost $20-$25 at least for the download version, $10 more for the CD version.Add $30 (also a decent price given the price of aircraft documentation) for a real Piper manual and you have $65 (of which $30 is optional).If I had the money and wanted another high power hightech GA aircraft for FS at this time (in my case, the answer is no to both conditions) I would certainly get it (though probably the download version).

and Garmin charges $15000 I believe...There is someone else making a 530 as well, I think that one will cost more. And else there are always Australian dollars, Canadian dollars, and probably many more :-lol

As I said earlier I intend to buy. Is it $30, not worth it? It's a personal opinion. I think that the avionics makes the cost, if you scan other F1 plane price one realize that Meridian is $7 higher than others. For me this is one of a kind, it's the first plane that almost all avionics are in place and full working, I only can imagine how much time is invested in that plane. I think paid this price for DF734 one and a half year ago and maybe I have 300 hours on it, so it's 0.1 per hour, sounds fair to me. Jos

Dave,I think the reason I am so price insensitive in these matters is that I use the VC almost exclusively with TrackIR and my multiple monitors. As much as I respect the freeware developers or the cheap payware, I can't expect them to devote the effort to create a good quality virtual cockpit. I use FS2K2 a great deal to supplement my own flight training and it makes a big difference if the flight models are good. Our club planes also have Garmin 430s in them, so I'm looking forward to the avionics in the Meridian. $40-$60 is a good deal in that regard IMO. If you are looking for good value, the Carenado Dakota is pretty well done.David

Michal, I assume the "other vendor" is the FSGarmin530 by Sim Systems. The price for their device is $34.95 US, let's try to get our facts straight and keep things balanced. Like FSAvionics say on their web page: Remember, our avionics devices work with any aircraft or panel, they are not limited to a single custom made aircraft. Divide the price of any of our products by the number of aircraft you have, now that

I pre-ordered the Meridian without the manual. I am very impressed by the information manual recently released and look forward to the release soon. I consider the price a fair one, given the complexity of the model. Steve J.

Guest wkzzo

I will as long as it lives up to its potential, cost is relative, when comparing this to some of my other hobbys its downright inexpensive.I will pay for realism, if all the systems can operate per the manuals its worth the investment. Im still looking for an addon that can top PIC767 and have yet to find one.

Well..... today I am absolutely not blowing $65.00 on a plane and manual. My interest will be zero until the release and the first post stating "Run Don

Guest DaveKDEN

>And would you still pay $35 for the same package (same quality aircraft with the same panels) as you did back then?Honestly, no. But they were "state of the art" when released and still have a little life left in them. They were a great value because the price included numerous high quality (for the time) aircraft/panels.Dave

Guest DaveKDEN

>The clincher will be Geofa posting screen shots of the real vs simulated Garmin.:-lol Geofa has a way of convincing folks - doesn't he.On another note;I might be contradicting myself here, but there've been very many valid points made by those who intend to buy the Meridian. I have a tough time arguing against many of them. In fact, I CAN'T argue against anyone who feels the price will be worth it TO THEM. I have NO intention of trying to convince the designers of lowering the price (as has been allueded to in a post). The price of the Meridian is set and should remain so. I do strongly desire for payware developers to consider this topic when pricing future products. After all, this topic is important to debate. Payware developers need honest and candid feedback from consumers.DaveOn the other hand; After all's been said and done, I feel the need to point out that supporting an individual like Jim Rhoads is WELL WORTH IT in any of his endeavors! He's consistently proven to be nothing less than a Gentleman in all these (seemingly endless) forum debates.