Sign in to follow this  

Ford Truck Commercial

Guest Ionizeyou

Does anyone know what type of aircraft is being towed by a Ford pick-up truck in the "Built Ford Tough" commercial? It's a beautiful bird, and I'd like to know more about it.Any help would be appreciated...Kevin

The plane in the commercial is the Curtiss C-46 Commando. That commercial always makes me sad because in the background are several ex- US Airways and Metrojet aircraft along with several other airlines.

Guest Ionizeyou

Thanks Goose... any brief history of the aircraft would be nice if anyone else wants to chime in.Thanks again...

Guest Bill Kunert

I do know it's a contemporary of the C47 and was used extensively flying the hump into China during WWII. I got to ride in one in 1959 travelling from USAF basic training at Lackland to my tech school in Denver. Not a particularly memorable trip.Bill

Goose, It is sad to see those US Airways aircraft parked in the desert.Attached to each aircraft were hundreds of jobs.Regards,Mike W

Guest eko

My question is... is that a real airplane cementary? Is there actually a place where there are hundreds and hundreds of airplanes that are no longer used just sitting around like that?

Guest Ionizeyou

Holy Cow!! Check out all the B-52's there!! Left to rust in the sun...

Guest ssurjap

They also store them in the Mojave Desert in California, if I'm not mistaken.

Guest Jeff S KDTW

>Holy Cow!! Check out all the B-52's there!! Left to rust >in the sun... They actually don't rust much--that's why they store them in dry climates like the desert.Those fields are often a great place to find the "hard to find" part/engine/etc._____________________________Jeff S. KDTW

I think that this might have been filmed at Mojave, mostly becuase that's where most of USAir's 737s are stored. Also, Davis-Monthan is a military boneyard. The civilian storage field is at KTUS.

Yea,,,and it aint gona fly without a pilot I don't care if ford is towing it................

Why couldn't it fly without a pilot? All you need is enough wind blowing over the wing to create lift. I've seen tied down airplanes, usually Cessnas, lift off the ground in very strong winds in Florida. Also, airplanes have been handpropped incorrectly and taken off on their own and flown quite a while all by themselves. FYI, the C-46 in the commercial did have a pilot flying it.

You are right. The wind can pick up the airplane and take it anywhere. This one is tied behind a truck, requires a SIMpilot to keep it behind the truck...My post was a joke anyway...Have fun