Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Active Sky and Frame rate

I downloaded Active Sky 2002 V. 1.5 freeware, because I was not satisfied with the inboard weather system of FS2002.Now, when I start Active Sky, it sometimes causes a drop of frame rate, some 7-8 pictures down!What could be the reason why, or: is that normal?

Guest gasebah

No answer to your question but the same happens to me too. I've pinned it down to the fact that it only occurs when ActiveSky updates the weather inside FS, not during downloads or idle.However I suggest that we proceed the discussion in the ActiveSky support forum, which is on this site.Alex

Guest HeavyFan

Hey guy's! I just Purchased ActiveSky wxRE V1.1! And i think it is an Awesome Program!! Love how there are all diffrent kinds of CLoud layers and how it produces Low Visibility with Rain and Snow! Now I understand about what you guy's are saying when it updates the weather! I don't seem to have this problem you guy's are talking about, It never pauses on me or Drops my FPS during the Updating!?? So Maybe it's something in the way you have something configured Wrong!?? So Yeah it will be a better place in Active Sky's Forum, Sorry but just wanted to let you know this Great Weather Program works fin on my FPS! MAybe you can adjust your Cloud setting in the Options menu in FS, to less that 100%, Which is what the Readme says in the Program, As this eats up some of my FPS when there are alot of Detailed Clouds showing, I got mine at 90% right now, which seems to be doing ok for now! Hope that helped you guy's a little bit! MIKE-:)

Guest gasebah

Mike,it has nothing to do with overall fps which are actually very good on my fast system even with clouds at 100%. It has obviously something to do with processor time and /or memory, which don't surprise me because the no. of add-ons I have running in the background has become amazing. So I don't really blame ActiveSky which is IMHO fantastic and will take a long time to be beaten by something else. However I did never have the problem with the other weather program.But now..stop..shut up.. let's go to the support forum.Alex

I have a similar drop in performance every time active sky updates. Whenever the weather is updated, frames drop for maybe 3-5 seconds. Not a big deal in cruise, but a bit of a pain when on final approach. As soon as the update was done, frames went back to normal.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest jason2112

Sorry Alex, but as this thread is already here, I would like to write a response, because I have also experienced this problem: FS stutters in a very annoying way during the weather update with ActiveSky 1.5 (freeware). As soon as the new METAR gets displayed, everything is fine again.I upgraded to ActiveSky wxRE (payware) a few weeks ago, and the problem is gone. In my oppinion, 15$ is a fair price for the commercial version, and I am very happy with this program!Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]P.S.: I hope this will close this thread. Head over to the ActiveSky forum for more info - http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...&conf=DCConfID6

I have the payware version and I am experiencing the problem... never had the shareware installed on my system so it can be old files from the shareware still in use.. Hope tha Damian comes up with a fix... kinda annoying on short final :)ThanksJohn

Guest gasebah

Well Volker,I have the payware version. Go figure.Alex

Guest jason2112

Hm, strange ... I just took a look at my options menu, but there's nothing significant AFAIK. I haven't activated the "idle priority" option. Just can repeat that for me the problem got solved with the paid version. Before that, it was really annoying.Bye,VOlker :]

I think each one's system will vary, depending on how many programs (multi-tasking) are running and how many of the programs are using peripheral with shared IRQs trying to control the system at any given moment.My SOYO Dragon+ shares the on-board NIC, on-board Sound (5.1), and the graphics adapter on IRQ11.I would expect to see a degradation when they all tried to control the IRQ. As it is, the sound from ATC usually causes some visual stutters especially if I am listening to two COM channels. It seems some voices more prevalent than others. If I ran ActiveSky on this computer (I don't, it is on my LAN via WideFS), I am sure I would see the degradation during the time ActiveSky was downloading.I would look to see if you have sharing of IRQs that might be separated. With ACPI, it is not easy to accomplish but is worth a try if you have cards that can be moved in your computer box.