Sign in to follow this  

FLIGHT SIM YOKE USB

Hello all,I have been using the CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB for a few months. It works fine as far as throttle/roll/pitch/yaw/brakes are concerned, but I have not been able yet to solve the following problem which concern the propeller and mixture controls with the Mooney for example (I have the same problem with other single prop aircrafts whether default or addons), on the ground and at some 600 ft ASL :1./ When I increase the pitch on the propeller, the RPM goes down, which is OK but the motor sounds faster, which is not realistic. OK, this is not too important but is a little annoying.2./ With regard to the mixture control, I can only get full power if the mixture knob is in about half course position. If I push it all the way forward (full rich, as it should be for take off) I get such a loss of power that the Mooney can hardly get airborne. If I then pull the mixture control to about half course I do get full power. If I pull it all the way the motor quits as it should.I tried all sorts of tweaks on the control settings, assignments, sensitivities, etc. but with no success.Has anyone had the same problem with this material and has he got a clue ?Thanks in advancejfcasson

Guest RonB49

Hi JFC,Re: Q1, I have read that this is a "bug" in FS2002. The same thing happens on my system and it happens whether I fly with my CH yoke or use the keypad to adjust the pitch.Re: Q2, It is my understanding that the mixture should be full rich only when starting the engine. For takeoff and other phases of flight, you lean it out until you read peak EGT (exhaust gas temperature) or just a few degrees shy of peak EGT.At any rate it's not your yoke that's causing either problem. R-

Thank you R for the info. Regarding the Mixture control I am somewhat surprised as I was a private pilot for 15 years and owned a Bellanca Viking 17-30 for 10 years and I was taught to take off "full rich" and to land the same way (gear down and locked, low pitch, full rich) but I will take your word for it. It is obvious that the altitude and pressure must have something to do with the mixture setting but I was thinking the effect was not that important as it is in FS2002.As to my first question re prop pitch/sound problem, guess we'll have to wait for FS2004.....!!!!Thanks again and regardsJFC

Hi BertThanks for your message, my reply to Ron is also for you.All the bestJFC

Guest gasebah

Re Q2.: Is there any chance that you usually start from an airport at high altitude? In that case the behaviour would be perfectly normal.Alex

You are right, Alex. Obviously when taking off from an altitude airfield the mixture should be leaned to get maximum power but in the tests I made I was taking off from airfields around Paris where the altitudes don't exceed a few hundred feet. Thanks for your reply.JFC

You are right on with prop forward/rich mix. The problem is within FS2k2. I to was getting the wrong sound in the default Cess a/c.. If you want the right sounds, try the R4D gooney bird...However with R4D I have found the need to lean mixture after about 3000' to keep things right as for losing power....PS. I cauld ever hear an increase in the rpm's when pulling the props back in the default a/c?????

I currently fly the Beech Bonanza of Carenado so I doubt that the DC3 sound can be used in a realistic way. I'll try it anyway.By the way if anyone is interested in flying a Bonanza, the Carenado one is really a master piece. The 2-D panel is almost as nice to use as the 3-D and you really feel like being in the cockpit. In a cloudy condityions you can see the instrument panel reflect slightly in the windshield. When looking left you can see your own reflection in the side window: smart young man with Ray-Ban glasses and all.... Amazing.JFC