Sign in to follow this  
Soeren Jensen

How do i reduce texture size?

Hi gentlemenHow do you reduce the file size, say from 1024 to 512, or to 256.And also what program do you use.Can it be done with the dxtbmp-program? And if possible, then how?Many thanks in advanceJen

Depending on what the aircraft will be used for reducing the dimensions will dramatically reduce the clarity of the paint scheme. To change the dimensions you'll need a graphics application such as Photoshop or Paintshop, I believe GIMP (search in google) is a good free alternative.Another way to reduce the texture file size would be to open it up in DXTBmp and resave as DXT3. To establish whether the file is DXT3 or not try to view it in the windows file viewer.. if you can't see it then it is already DXT3.

Thanks for the quick answer.I am aware of the method of modifying to DXT3 or DXT1. It seems to make, a sometimes considerebly improvement in performence, and at a very low cost, visually. Reducing the texture in size, on the other hand, I don`t know much about. Do you think it`s worth the effort, if I still want some good looking AI planes? Jen

You could always experiment, backing up the texture file first. But I'd guess at it getting pretty blurry once you start down sizing bmps.. I've just tried it and am having problems converting it in DXTBmp for use in Flight Sim, obviously something not quite right there.Try it out and see where you get :)

Guest dths30

When you resize the textures the ratio must be 1:2. For example, 1024x1024 can be resized to 512x512 or 2048x2048 but not, let's say 640x640 or 1600x1600.