Sign in to follow this  

Crosswind landings and rudder usage

Guest Stratus_Fractus

That's a nice landing! Madeira right? Do you have any more?

JP:That's an amazing video, thanks for sharing!Alex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest mondriver

Stratus Fractus....."I suppose that would work....."Ummmm......yup.....it does, and very well actually!There is nothing quick or any danger of going off sides of runways..... it is one of the reccommended ways Boeing tells us to fly their airplanes, and I think they would know !Cheers

Guest jpcxcf

Hi Greg, actually it's HORTA (LPHR) on the Azores Islands.Regards,Pedro

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Well it would work, I know, but keep pax comfort in mind. ;-)

Guest RonB49

Yo HomerJ,This gets curiouser and curiouser. You wrote:> I actually found autorudder setting (thanks for hint RonB) and> disabled it but still no effect to improve the yaw rudder turning > rate, max 4 degrees into a one direction at rate 0.25 degrees per > second, so i can yaw the cessna's nose only 4 degrees, very slowly.This just didn't sound right, so I tried it myself. I got airborne (I happened to be usinf the 208B Grand Caravan), disabled the yoke and pedals ("Ctrl+k" on my system but I think just "k" by default), and fiddled with the NumPad "0", "5", and "Enter" keys. I can turn as far as I want using just "0" or "Enter" and do so at a decent turn rate. In answer to a question in another post, Yes, the airplane does bank into the turn although not as much as your passengers would like, I'm sure. If you've ever seen an inexpensive RC model airplane, they often have only elevator and rudder control surfaces but make decent-looking banked turns.I do question the action of the turn and bank indicator. The needle moved an appropriate amount (to my untrained eye) but the ball stayed centered. That can't be right, can it? I'll try it in a different airplane.Back to your problem -- is your autopilot turned on? If it is, turn it off. I'm not talking about disabling Heading Hold or Approach Hold, I mean turn off the whole thing ("z" key). If it is on and you have not modified the aircraft.cfg file, then autopilot Wing Leveler is always enabled and will interfere with you attempted slips and skids. R-

Thanks for your interest RonB,i do have autopilot turned off. That damn rudder stays frosted. On the ground working as should, but on the air almoust zero effect of the plane... can only use rudder trim, that is too uncontrollable.I have installed lot's of extra aircraft's, so i guess something has messed up somewhere (suspects including me, with my wild cfg-edits :-sun1 ...). Hehe - didn't know what to do next weekend, but re-installing the game and all the necessary add-ons & tweaks might neutralize that "problem"...