Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

ActiveSky wxRE or FSMeteo5.2?

Hi all,I both both products but dont know what to use if FSMeteo or ActiveSky wxRE.Please give me your opinion on what should I do .Thanks,-----------------------------------------------------http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3e282a8b4319844d.gif-----------------------------------------------------Aircraft Painter - -------------------------------- VATSIM Controller (C-1) At:[link:www.zfwartcc.org//]ZFW FORT WORTH ARTCC][/b--------------------------------System Specifications:Intel Pentium 4 2.4Ghz BUS 533Mother Intel D850 EMV2256MB RIMM PC-800GF4 Ti4400 128DDR (Det.41.09s)HD40GB 7200rpmWin XP PRO--------------------------------mauro@mperez.wsAIM:mauroxpCheers ,Mauro *:-*

Guest Don_Eliot

I hesitate to answer this but if you mean you have both why not just try them both and use the one you like? I did and am using activesky now. Don

When I used FSMeteo for the first time, I thought there was no better way of doing weather. Then I used AS-wxRE! AMAZING! The clouds, visibility, everything just "seems" like it works better. I looked out my window to see the cloud patterns and visibility, and MSFS/wRE was exceptionally close to reality. BUT, that being said - I USE BOTH PROGRAMS! See, AS-wxRE doesn't actually have winds aloft for Europe... it simulates the winds aloft, and doesn't do a great job of it yet. I was flying from Sweden to London, and about halfway through the flight I kept CRASHING! I tried it three times, and I came back to my computer to find a smashed Airbus. The fourth time I sat there for the whole flight, and watched everything. The simulated winds aloft were changing in velocity and direction, and halfway through, they changed so severely that the autopilot system couldn't recover.I reflew the flight using FSMeteo as my weather supplier, and the flight went perfectly. The wind changes were far more natural, gradual, and all in all a much better experience. So... If you do primarily North American flying, go with ActiveSky wxRE. If you do primarily European and International flying, I'd recommend FSMeteo. And if you do a good mix of both, I'd probably recommend FSMeteo or both together.

Damian Clark, the author of ActiveSky wxRE posted this on his support forum: "v1.2 release, with several new features including full international winds aloft, is estimated first half of February."I haven't used FSMeteo, so I can't comment on it, but I do know that the $15.00 that ActiveSky costs is a bargain.

Guest dogknot

Yes, they're both great programs, but for me the best overall wx is with ActiveSky wxRE. European winds aloft in ActiveSky wxRE should be 'fixed' in the next couple of weeks. As far as severe turbulence in ASwxRE, a real-life phenomena, you can tame down MSFS2K2's poor rendition by : From the Readme text file included with ActiveSky wxREKnown IssuesExaggerated airspeed fluctuations during turbulence: This is a problem with FS2002 that only affects the ASI when experiencing turbulence. You can reduce your fluctuations by setting the TurbulenceScale value in FS2002.cfg to a lower value (0.2 is suggested by several users)also in the FSUIPC(2.95) settings text: Critical Settings:Winds:Transitions Smoothed by Layer - turn this on and set the speed to your tastes. Suggested rate is 1 second per 1deg/kt change. This will make flying between areas of different winds more realistic.Technical:Smooth Pressure Changes - Set to 10 seconds per 1mb for nice slow pressure changes.

Good to hear that he is working on the European "problem". When that is fixed, then my recommendation will go heavily towards wxRE across the board (and ocean!) ... the realism factor it provides is more impressive than the FSMeteo - and that is pretty darn real too!