Sign in to follow this  
Guest JohnN

Anisotronic Filtering setup (Radeon 9500/9700)

Hi,I have problems with my new Radeon 9500 running the Flight Simulator 2002.The problems appear when I change the values of AF - Anisotronic Filtering.I run this game on Full Screen Mode, resolution 1024/768 60Hz. With AF set for 2X Quality, after minimize the window and when I return to the game the screen stay black (sound is ok). On this case if I call the FS2002 menu the scenery appear.If I change the AF to more them 2X them the screen comes black and immediately the system reboots.I just see on this forum people using the same video card, and identically systems and AF set to 16X without any problems.This is not a FS2002 problem. If I run the 3DMark2001 test the results are the same, and my rate on this test if about 50% of the average for this video card/processor (about 5000).All my system is new, and as follows:SYSTEM BOARD CARACTERISTIS VIA P4X266-8233 BIOS AWARD 6.00PG V2.2 ADVANCED BIOS/CHIPSET FEATURES VIDEO BIOS SHADOWS : ENABLE AGP APERTURE SIZE : 256MB AGP MODE : 4X AGP DRIVING CONTROL: AUTO AGP FAST WRITE : ENABLE AGP MASTER 1W WRITE: DISABLE AGP MASTER 1W READ : DISABLE VIDEO RAM CACHEABLE: DISABLE INIT DISPLY FIRST : AGPPROCESSOR : PENTUIM 4

Sounds like you have something wrong with your system. You should go over to www.rage3d.com and ask your questions. Most of the problems that occur with the radeon is the fault of the motherboard or nvidia drivers not being removed properly.

Hi,I have the exact same problem as you with the screen turning black on task switch. Don't have any problem with frames rates or anything else. Just built a new system less then two weeks ago, was using a Gforce2 with 64, had no problem at all. Last Thursday I installed the 9700 pro, this was after reformatting and reinstalling WinMe. As soon as I installed the pro, that's when the problem started. I know it is not the motherboard or not getting rid of the old drivers. This is either an issue with the 9700 pro or some setting that I was able to use before, has to be changed. If you find out anything please post it.Also -Directx-9Thanks,Edhttp://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Greetings,I also have this problem with my 9700pro on multiple monitors. Running 4x AA and 16x Aniso. Everything is OK if I ALT-ENTER to windowed mode before switching. Kind of frustrating when I accidentally click on the background of the second monitor and FS minimizes. When maximizing FS all go black and system hangs. I think it all started after installing DirectX 9 and Catalyst 3 drivers, but I can't remember how it was before the upgrade.

Hi rncotrim.You might want to DISABLE the MB bios settings for:VIDEO BIOS SHADOWS : ENABLEAGP FAST WRITE : ENABLEMight help.Also 16x anisotropic could cause problems, as the whole spectrum of AA and An are very dependant on screen resolution. I'm going to assume your FS2002 fullscreen resolution is actually less than your desktop resolution. Some SmoothVision settings won't work at higher screen resolutions.If your desktop resolution is too high to display the 16x An, then it could cause a lock-up, when you switch from fullscreen DirectX games to desktop applications, without minimising or exiting the game first.Dick

I have the DirectX 8.1 installed and the problem is the same. Apparently the Radeon 9700 is not compatible with all Motherboard. This is a new machine. Before this one, and during tests to choose a new video card, I found the same problem in an MB Intel850 and P4 1.3 MHz. I put this question to ATI services without any answers till now :-|.

Yes, with pleasure,I put this question to ATI services without any answers till now :-|.I

Tanks, Tell me, with your MB Intel D850EMV2 everything is working? Can you use the AA at 4X and AF 16X without any problems (all FS2002 setting to the right)?I have the possibility to change this board :-), and I do not want more mistakes.

Guest Thomas K

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm having the same problem. The system just reboots by itself. I'm using Direct X 9 and Radeon 9700Pro. The temporary solution for me now is just to not touch the AA or Anisotropic filtering at all. Hopefully we'll get a fix regarding this from ATI. Apparently this is a common problem. As for screen resolutions, I'm using 1024x768 32bit for both FS2002 and desktop.TK

Yes; everything has been completely stable and great since day one and I'm running the CD driver version 6166 and version 1 of the sapphire card. The 850 chipset is the best one to use with the radeon. Another good board is the P4T533-C Asus. I run with 4xAA & 16xAF and have went thru all of the AA & AF settings with everything just fine. Sliders are maxed, AI on default and running DX 8.1.Most folks have problems with the 8xAGP motherboards. The problem has been solved for the most part in that some of the newer motherboards don't supply enough voltage to the card causing lots of problems. Motherboard drivers not being updated to the latest also cause many problems. As does not getting all of the nvidia stuff off the system. Just about everything you could think of has been discussed over at www.rage3d.com and that's why I recommend you do a search over there. Chances are you'll find the cause of any problems you're encountering.I seem to remember a post about the issue your discussing and seem to remember that person cured it by updating his motherboard drivers. Can't remember if that was the only thing done. But the answers you're looking for are most likely at rage3d. Good luck.

Guest Thomas K

Interesting, I'm running a P4 2.53 on an Asus P4T533-C board. Didn't get any answers over at the rage3D forums about the reboot problem that I'm getting with the 9700 Pro.

Hi,I change my board. The new one is Intel D845PEBT2 with 512MB of RAM (233Mhz).Starting from the beginning (format C: ) and after install the software, the performance is better, must better, no crash on the FS2002 but, always a but, the black screen remains when maximizing. I

Guest JohnN

Rnctrim, You might want to go back and change ALL of your setings to their defaults. If that solves the problem, you can start tinkering with your settings from there.I had screwed up my system by making changes and the defaults got me back in shape.Good Luck, John

For what it's worth, I'm running a P4 2.53 on an Asus P4PE i845PE motherboard with 512MB of PC2700 DDR RAM (DirectX 8.1) and I'm not having any problems at all with reboots or black screens or anything with my 9700 Pro. Maybe I'm just lucky? I've changed AA and AF and screen resolution many times testing different settings and no problems at all. Maybe it is related to specific motherboards as one poster said.