Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Let the whacks begin!

Guest Lobaeux4

Okay, I've been moaning on this board for a couple of days now about my constant 'vibrations' on my monitor and how I can fix them. Wseiffert gave me the great ideas to 'shield' my monitor using some aluminum foil and cardboard. Tried it, didn't work. So I started looking for other causes. Changed drivers, no fix. Changed video card settings, no fix. Moved my speakers that have been there for a while, no fix. Moved my other monitors, no fix. I think I've finally got it licked now.My computer tends to get hot, mainly because I live in base housing, and as anyone who knows government housing knows that not only is there lead in the paint, but the heating systems don't always work evenly throughout the house. My computer room is the hottest room in the house. So, in addition to the heat generated by my overclocking adventures, I felt the heat in my room would contribute to an overheated computer. I took the sides off, put a large desk fan next to the computer to cool it down. Did the trick, haven't seen my CPU over 45C or my system over 35C since (and that's with all the overclocking crap). But, I moved the computer and moved the fan closer to the monitors. I should've seen what was going to happen. The EMI from the fan was doing strange things to my monitor. How did I figure it out. Two weeks ago I was in the simulator and I remembered the IP taking a little tach generator, hooking it up to a drill then placing it near the computer screen where we saw a pretty good light show. I moved the fan closer to my monitor and wham! all messed up. So I had to move the fan farther away. I know this is kinda long, so I'll just say this. Check around your computer and see what kind of stuff you have that'll mess with it. Might help you out in the future.Lobaeux

Guest Satchmo

I had similar problems with my old CTX monitor. I ended up taking the monitor to bits and then reflowing every solder joint that I could find using a fine-tip Antex soldering-iron. This was of course after discharging the potentially lethal HT using a heavy-duty resistor.I also used a big soldering iron to reflow the large solder joints on the tube mounted board..i.e. where the metal shield connects to the PCB. Not has a problem since..Information about safetly discharging the HT before working on a monitor, is found easily on the web.Be careful out there!CheersSatchmo

Keep doing that to your monitors and you will have to Degauss them! You keep me laughing!!!:-lolBase Housing! Ugh! I had my fill of BEQs, BOQs, and CBQs, as a Service Member and Government Civilian for 35yrs.The BOQs at NAS Meridian, MS were some of the worst. I think they finally completely overhauled them. Stayed at a CBQ at NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach, VA where they were removing the asbestos. "Just stay outside of the closed of area that has the hanging plastic and don't breath too hard when you are in the building!"

Guest outtatimeiii

My monitor waved a lot when I used a nVidia Vanta 8MB. I thought the TV in the other room was causing it to wave or the monitor was just bad to begin with. But when I got my Radeon 64MB VIVO card, all the wiggles and stuff were gone (I didn't even touch the monitor or TV in the other room, maybe the Radeon has more bandwith or something, I don't know). Maybe the problem is in the video card rather than in the monitor itself.

Guest Lobaeux4

Naw, I got it fixed, it was the small desk fan causing the problems. I've pretty much got my computer set up the way I want it know, works like a champ.Q's are government quarters, usually on a military base. I live in base housing at Little Rock AFB. These have to be the worst base housing I've ever seen, and I was stationed at Pope AFB as well. My housing allowance is $907 for this area, and I'm paying that for a small 900 sq. ft duplex. I just prefer to live on base, it's safe and work is only 3 minutes away. Only problem is I don't want to move off base because I'm hoping for orders any day now.Lobaeux

If you live in a community served by Craig's List, you will never have to buy a new monitor again. I purchased a very good, used 21" for $75 through a classified ad on the site. There are always good deals on monitors on that site.

Bachelor Enlisted Quarters, Bachelor Officers Quarters, Combined Bachelor Quarters.Ya didn't have to be a Bachelor to stay in quarters, only had to have official orders and not have your family with you.As a Government Civilian on travel, it was the Government's way of saving money, otherwise I would stay in a Hotel/Motel.I also ate some pretty good BBQ in South Texas!

Yeah! You might get orders, but not where you want! Got your Desert Cammy's ironed!:-rotor