Sign in to follow this  
Guest WilliamD

No Win98 support for the Meridian

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Greg,This may interest youhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/display_to...&PagePosition=1Beside the stability of the OS debate in this thread, there are functions in the newer Me/2K/XP Windows API that simply not exist in the 95/98 and for which they are no replacement. This is one of the reason the 3DS series although running quite ok but not recommended nor supported for other than NT/2K, was not featuring Network Rendering on these 95/98/Me OS.For some of you who may have downloaded the Garmin Trainer program already, you may have noticed that it is a win16 application (with 16 bits Intel Code and 16 bit Windows API calls as a Windows 3.1 program). As such, and with the unreliable memory protection mechanisms in 16bits OS such as 95/98 (and yes WinMe too but with extra strengh), this could probably cause a number of issues.There has been an update here mentioning that WinMe runs fine.Hope this helps!

Guest SoarPics

Hi JeanLuc,Thanks for the info. As I've stated earlier, I'm not second guessing Flight1's reasons for not supporting the Meridian in Win98. I feel I don't have the software knowledge to do that.I read the thread you linked to an hour or so ago (been following it the last couple of days). Nice that Jim is now seeking a couple of beta testers for Win 98. I had wanted to jump into that action, then looked at my desk to be reminded that my Cougar is torn down. I'm using it as a development hack for some gimbals I'm producing for a few other Cougar owners. No flying for me for at least a week. Lousy timing, as I'd like to assist in any way possible to see how the Meridian does on Win98 systems.Regards,

Guest WilliamD

I wasn't aware of this either, Greg. Thanks for the heads-up.

Guest JonP01

>Why is the "phone-in" activation for Windows XP such a big >deal to you? >Because:(i) there is a limit to the number of times you will be allowed to re-install your OS. So if you exceed that limit, tough luck.(ii)Microsoft have to maintain the activation infrastructure in place in order for users to receive unlock codes as they require them. So what happens if Microsoft go out of business, undergo a massive restructure, or they just decide to stop giving out activation codes because they want people to upgrade to an even newer OS?(iii) Many people happily run machines that are 12 to 15 years old with software of the same age. One of my friends still runs Windows 3.1 on a 486 and the other runs DOS on a 386. Until my father passed away last year he happily ran DOS on an IBM JX. They are (were) perfectly happy with their machines. But hardware doesn't last for ever and sooner or later my friends will have to buy new hardware. So what happens with these people when their existing machines die and they have to replace them with product activated software? They are going to have to purchase software and hardware on a more frequent basis then they otherwise would. Unless you believe Microsoft will be giving out activation codes for windows XP in the year 2018.