Sign in to follow this  
Guest outtatimeiii

CPU temperature

brian thats to hot man better get that thing cooler if i were you, mine is 50F max load have the side of the case open for air to go around always. pluse a twin turbo fan from kmart lol just in case i need it.

Fellas, I know this will be simple, but it's an unknown to me. How do you get your temp. reading? I know you don't just stick a thermometer inside. :-wave Ron from behind the Cheddar Curtain. :-wave

Actually, you could do just that. It definitely wont give you a very accurate measurement of CPU temp, but CompUSA sells a nice do-hicky that gives you an LCD readout of temps wherever you stick the metal thinger-majigs :). Normally the CPU sensor is built into the motherboard and you can use the program that was supplied by the vendor. I use Motherboard Monitor 5, and it works very well, although I havent figured out what all I can get readings of beyond CPU temp.Craig

Guest Lobaeux4

I'm running the same gig you are, except I've got the GeForce 3. Right now, with FS2K2 running in the background, Easy Tune is saying I've got 32C system, 42C CPU. I've got the case off and a fan blowing on the side. No exhaust fan yet, that's the next purchase, well that and 512 PC3200 RAM!LobaeuxBTW, what clock and FSB settings are you using? I'm running mine CPU at 15, and FSB at 143, very stable. Think the memory is holding me back.

Guest chezz

Hi,Check AMD website. I think there's a tech support there where you can see the maximum temp your processor can go. I'm using xp 1800+ and averaging cpu temp 50 C.chris

>Just a quick question - what temperature should an AMD >2100XP run at? >Currently mine is running at 73C, is this too high? Do you get these at high load or at boot time? If this at boot time stop using the machine, AMD gives 90

I use a small program called "Sandra", it is a free d/l from ZDNET and it gives you tips and info on all parts of your system (not all are enabled in the free version)I am running an Athlon 1.4 with 1 GIG DDR and the G4 4600, been on all night and it is at 30C with the CPU at 41C.This is a good thread, sure it is helpful to a few since overheating is a really bad deal!Regards, Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

Hi,Don't worry about P4 temp readings; they operate MUCH cooler, but they cannot do the work of an Athlon at the same speed. (It's the old apples to oranges comparison). The main reason you are most likely seeing these high temps are the result of the rather cheesy heatsink and fan that AMD supplies with the 2100's. I use the same CPU and was horrified at the lack of cooling right out of the box. I now use a COPPER based heat sink with an 80mm fan and temps went from the 140's{F} to about 110-115{F} during flight sim, even in the summer heat. They can be noisy, but hey...and yes, cooler is better...CPU'S, like most things, have meltdown points. My recipe for a cool (air) system * Copper Heat sink w/80mm fan * Keep the case open. * Add a case fan at the front to pull in air and blow over the CPU/mainboard. Good luck,Greg G

Guest Rob

I just tried overclocking my 3.06G P4 chip by pushing the FSB higher. Err .. whoops. :)

Guest BAW083

My temperature and system monitoring is through ASUSTek's ASUS Probe.

Guest outtatimeiii

My CPU temp is hanging around 135F right now while flying in FS2002. A bit hot but not too bad. The K6 comp in the other room runs about 150F constantly (according to the temp sensors), talk about a space heater! And thats with the case off too. Its always on, and still hasn't burnt out yet after 4 years of service (I believe the uptime is around 1 month).

Thanks for all your many responses, I guess the heat sink that they sell with the 2100XP is simply crap!I have chosen to take Uwe's advice and I have ordered the Arctic Super Silent Pro, it should be in for Monday so I will report back with the results. I think we all agree that one can never have too much data in order for us to make informed decisions as to our PC set ups!Have a great weekend everyone.