Sign in to follow this  

XP upgrade for PSS A320 crash to desktop problem

HiI'm attempting to run the pss a320 on my windows 98 system and, like so many other users, continually get crashes to the desktop. I've attempted the removal of the virtual cockpit from the aircraft.cfg file but with no real success.This has hastened my decision to perhaps, consider upgrading to windows xp where memory leakage "shouldn't" be a problem. My question is basically this, have any of you guys upgraded to xp after having the above problem with 98 and, if so, did the problem go away. Also, i've heard that xp contains a whole host of mobo drivers, hence, negating the need to source them (mobo is an elite systems k7s5a), is this correct ?Any help much appreciatedGary

Hi GaryI was running Win 98SE on my machine and the PSS A3XX constantly locked up, crashing to the desktop. I understand that the new PSS Dash 8 has a similar problem. Guage experts out there think it's one of the guages in the virutal cockpit that causes the lockup. I upgraded to Windows XP and did a fresh install of the Airbus and I have not had a lockup to date. I also planned to purchase the Dash 8 which was the real reason for upgrading to XP.BUT before you upgrade please be aware that there is a workaround to make the PSS A3xx work within the Win 98 environment. This workaround is available in the PSS Support Forum for both the A3xx and the Dash 8. This workaround blanks out all the guages from the virtual cockpit but the rest of the functionality is unaffected. I would recommend XP, if you have a powerful system as XP is a memory hog, not only will you be able to use the virtual cockpit you'll also benefit from updated operating system technology. As for the mobo drivers etc, yes XP does have an extensive list ALTHOUGH I found that performance was greatly enhanced when I downloaded my mobo drivers specifically for XP from my mobo manufactures site...something you might want to think about.Hope this helpsRegards,RobFAJSAMD XP2100+Asus A7A266 Motherboard512 MB PC133 RAMGeforce2 Ti200 with 64 MB DDRAM20 GB Fujitsu 7200 rpm HDWindows XP Pro

Thanks for the reply rob. I'm running an xp1600+ system with 256meg of ram, so hoefully this should be powerful enough for xp. Just one question, after installing xp, did you notice any difference in fs performance ?ThanksGary

Yes...Like I said XP is extremely hoggy...you might want to consider upgrading your ram to 512 MB before upgrading to XP...rumour is 256 MB isn't nearly enoughI went from a 4100 3d Mark 2001 score in Windows 98 SE to a 3300 score on just upgrading. After tweaking, drivers etc. I got this score up to 4800. I did also upgrade from a 1 Ghz Athlon to a XP2100+ which made all the difference. Althougth I suspect whats holding me back now in terms of 3D Mark score is my Geforce2 Ti200 Card...about time I thought about a Ti4400 or something similar...Regards,Rob