Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Midair

Well it happened...I've watched with trepidation many times as those flicking lights that seem to be right in my path manage to turn or veer off and amazingly get out of the way in time. But not this time. I'm at FL320 straight and level and ATC begins to tell me I have a traffic emergency and before they can get half way through it a jet (maybe an MD80) streaks across my windscreen right to left in a flash. The next thing I know FS is reloading and I'm back at the gate where I departed. Midair...my first.I had begun to think that the FS2k2 was programed to avoid such an occurance but I have found out first hand it can happen. Anybody else ever experience this?Just wondering

I have actually not crashed midair (ok once - intentionally when testing TCAS), but close calls are so many, especially near the airports... usually due to different approaching speeds and the ATC ingnorance of surveillance of this matter. (don't know how real life ATC watches the security of airspace...)I'm flying Grabowski's ERJ-145 and it's TCAS has so far saved me so many times for the instant "termination" of flight plan...

Na man, not mid air with another plane. Back with FS95, I once crashed into a mountain while following ATC's command in one of the adventures of the Southern California addon scenery. I think the flight was from San Francisco to LAX. The flight was at night. There I was, so proud of myself, when it happened... Crash!!!Robb

I have been hit from behind on landing. I was in the default Cessna when 2k2 first came out testing at PHL and I got wacked from behind by 737. I really cant blame it on the ATC I was being ignorant of all rules while just messing around.Andrew

Maybe it happened because you were flying at FL320. This seems an odd FL to fly on.Celador

I have only had close calls during cruise as well. Close enough for me to jump and even shout out a few friendly words to the computer pilot. I've never been hit in cruise, but on approach it happens all the time to me at busy airports. During cruise I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it was just one of those freak occurrences. Not much can be done about it except turn collisions off.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Well, it was a surprise to me that it COULD happen at cruise altitude and speed. I would think that ATC would have enough information to reroute the AI aircraft temporarily, but maybe this option is not programmed. I've had a couple of near misses at cruise, but I always thought that FS was doing it's job.

I hate it when ATC gives you a traffic warning when the plane is less than 1 mile, but they don't tell you what to do about it.