Sign in to follow this  

1GB Ram with WindowsXP Really works?

Hello everyone today i made somde test to my computeri turn on my pc start FS2002 FSMeteo Squawkbox FSNavigator ServInfoand openeden virtual cockpit and some addon scenery then i checked my performance settings.And i notice my 512MB PC2100 DDR Ram is almost FullMy question is if i upgrade to 1GB can i notice my FS2002 runs faster and smoother? Is anyone from here uses 1gb+ Ram with FS2002 please give me some info. Best regardsAMD XP 1900512MB DDR PC2100 Ram60gb HDDGeForce3 Ti200

Guest imemyself

Where'd you get that program?

Guest outtatimeiii

Comes standard with a NT based OS (NT4, 2k, XP, not 98 or Me). Just hit Ctrl+alt+del and it will come up (depending on your setup).FS2002 dont take up that much memory on my system, I have around 113MB RAM left availible. CFS3 eats ALL of my 256MB.

I only have 768mb, but I definately noticed a difference between that and 512mb. It has been my experience that FS will grab as much memory as it can. If you get a 1g of memory, I'm sure FS will make use of it.To the other responder, the program is part of Windows XP. Hit ctrl+alt+del and it will come up.

I've had FS2002 take over 300MB RAM on my machine, which has a gigabyte available.It won't run much faster, but changing views (and panning in VC and outside views) will be smoother as nothing will have to be swapped into and out of virtual memory (aka harddisk).I've made it a habit to open and close all subpanels when loading an aircraft. Switching them afterwards is lightning fast.

I would agree with that although I personally think that it's probably Windows that grabs the RAM before FS does. When I increased from 512 to 1024 I noticed that Windows ran more smoothly; FS appeared to do so also, but if Windows runs better, you would think FS would also. As cheap as memory is now-days, kind of hard not to max it out if you can. My $0.02Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

I wonder how moving from 512Mb to 1Gb of RAM in Windows 2000 Pro would help. Anyone have any ideas?Thanks,Robb

Guest imemyself

Is there anyway to d/l something like that program for Me?

Hi,Judging from your screenshot I would HIGHLY recommend a memory upgrade to 1 gig. However, I don't believe upgrading memory improves performance unless you were using a good portion of your old amount (like in your case). I've attached a screenshot of my memory usage while running FS2002 with FS SkyWorldSE, ActiveSky wxRE, and TrackIR in the background. You can see exactly half of my memory is consumed, but 250 megs of that is being used simply by Windows (I checked before I launched FS). Based on this I am probably benefiting more than a person with 500 megs of RAM would. In any case that is my opinion, perhaps someone else could also share their observations.-Derek

Thanks for helpnow i have 1 more questionmark on my mind why my CPU is always %100 working when i fly with fs2002? i'm getting good frame is there any way to lover CPU load on FS2002? %100 Load ?? woow I Have AMD XP 1900 (1.62GHz) 512 MB PC2100 ECC Ram GeForce3 Ti200 60 gig HDD WinXP

W98 users need to search for a file called "RAMBOOSTER".

100% CPU use with FS running is normal. I'm pretty sure this would be the case even on a 3ghz CPU.

Eric Thornton

Re: CPU UsageWouldn't you want the CPU to be fully utilised? I'd rather it was spending the time giving me decent frame rates and doing all the calculations to make the scenery look the best.For a more useful picture of how your cpu is performing you need a utility that reports the cpu utilisation by each running process. Flight Sim is only one of many running processes and obviously you'd hope that it is getting the lion's share of the cpu's time.For example, on my P4 2GHz system running WinXP Pro with this webpage open and a few apps running in the system tray I show the cpu at 96-99% idle. If I launch FS2002 also and give it the focus (so it's not paused) the idle time drops to 0% and FS2002 gets nearly 98% of the cpu time. What you should be concerned about is if some other process was taking up a decent chunk of the cpu time, thereby starving Flight Sim.BTW if you do run tests with the above type of utility and notice that you've got good frame rates and perfect scenery in FS and you are seeing any cpu idle time please post your CPU specs, I'm sure a lot of people would be very interested in those details :-). I don't think we'll see a CPU that is TOO powerful for FS any time soon!RegardsAdrian

Okay, well here is another screenshot displaying the CPU consumption of each process. I found out that the only way to get the utility to display on top of the FS window is by running FS in windowed mode, which I believe causes more stress on the CPU. Nonetheless, in the pic it shows FS2002 consuming 40% of the total 43% being consumed. I don't know why my CPU isn't operating at maximum power, but it may have something to do with the fact that I have a dual CPU comp. I also turned on the frame rate display, and as you can see it is nothing to brag about :-lol.P.S. sorry about the cruddy jpg quality, I did my best within the upload limitations.