Sign in to follow this  
Guest GalacticCowboy

25 Accident/Incidents Jan 21st

Guest mikehaska

The reason that number is so high is twofold.1. There is significantly more air traffic (especially GA) on weekends. Factor in that it was a long weekend, and you have a much larger amount of flights, and subsequently, accidents.2. Notice that the FAA office was closed on Monday, because of the stat. holiday. Because of that, all the accidents from two days were combined into one day.However, John is right. This should be posted in the Hangar Chat forum, just a few links above this on in the main menu! :-)

Interesting - it lists the NWA 757 that was struck by the NWA A319 at the gate, on 1/21, but not the A319.Also, it's a shame to see that the ME-262 replica was "substantially" damaged in a landing incident.

BobK

It does not list the A319 because the Airbus was being repositioned from a parking space away from the terminal and was not moving with "the intent of flight." The 757, however, was being prepared for flight. Therefore according to the FARs (actually, i believe this would fall under NTSB form 830), any substantial damage must be reported to the NTSB. Had the ground crew been pushing the Airbus back from the gate, for example, you would have seen both aircraft in the accident reports. It's just one of those technicalities you come across when you start looking through the FARs (or any regulatory document for that matter)-RobPS: I've seen the pictures of the Airbus; does anyone know if they had to write it off? I'm merely a pilot and have no clue from an A&P standpoint what will damage beyond repair.

That's strange that they would classify things that way - the A319 was being taxied under its own power, and the 757, from what I saw, empty, sitting at the gate.

BobK

I was under the impression that the A319 was being pulled by a tug, but I could be wrong. (And god knows the media's probably reported it both ways since they can't get seem to get anything aviation related correct) At any rate, as long as the Airbus wasn't being taxied/pushed for the purpose of being flown (even if its engines are running), the NTSB doesn't care. As for the 757, I am not sure why it made the list, as from everything I've seen reported, it was empty at the time of impact. Perhaps they had an APU running which would constitute being prepared for flight or perhaps they had already recieved a pre-taxi clearance from ATC. I'm not real sure, because it would seem to me that this entire event could go unreported without violating any FARs, though it's possible that there's something in Part 121 or NWA's operating procedures that require a report.-Rob

Guest GalacticCowboy

And there were 26 incidents 'on' the 13th. Same reasons as mentioned above. In fact, more per day since there wasn't a holiday thrown in there...In case you haven't been to www.stormbirds.com to read about the ME-262, the left gear collapsed and the plane skidded off the runway. While the FAA report indicated "substantial" damage, the news reports, interviews with the pilot and project web site all seem to indicate that they view this as only a momentary setback.

Hi,From the airdisater.com webpage...."The aircraft was being taxied from the maintenance area to the gate for a flight at approximately 6:25am local time. Two certified mechanics were at the controls. For unknown reasons, the aircraft failed to stop at the gate, impacted the jetbridge and a TUG, causing the nose landing gear to collapse. The left wing of the Airbus impacted a Northwest Boeing 757 at an adjacent gate, causing damage to that aircraft as well."My 10 bucks says somebody pulled the circuit breakers for the brake system and they weren't reset before moving the aircraft. There are alot of CBs on the A3XX and it is normal to have some things pulled and inop. Perhaps the crew overlooked something. Anyways, a bloody nasty mess they made of the aircraft. They must have wanted to just die after that. And yes, the mechanics can fix it. But it's more of a question of 'will it cost more to fix than to write off'? Only a complete evaluation of the damage, both internal and external, will be able to determine it's fate. The '57 looks like a band-aid should do the job.Cheers,CF-AOA