Sign in to follow this  

Joystick will not connect, need HELP!

I know this path has been tracked on before, but it has been a while and I can't find anything relating to it, maybe some of you that had this problem can help me out.I am running an AMD 1.333 Mhz. 516 meg. of RAM, SoundBlaster Live, Windows Me; and here's the problem, when using Microsoft Force Feedback 2 Joystick (USB) everything is ok, but this is not the right tool for FS2002, I did have CH Virtual Pilot Pro (Serial Port) hooked up to Rudder pedals some time ago (before getting the joystick), and I did have a very hard time to get the computer to recognize it, but after some trials and tribulations it did work. I am tired of the senseless feel of the Joystick and no rudder pedals for FS2002, my favorite sim, and am trying to get the CH Virtual Pilot Pro with the peddals to work, but I was only partially successful, as when I restarted next morning the dreaded "Joystick not connected" would be always on, when trying to enable the joystick in control panel, regardless of the many attempts to have the computer recognize it. I removed the Microsoft Joystick completely from the system, went to the Registry to edit the Joystick section (deleted, following all the instructions of CH Products website, reinstalled new drivers, etc.) and the darn thing only worked for the moment that I was in the sim, worked perfectly, then turned the computer off 'til next morning, and it didn't work any longer, I've repeated the steps to no avail, can anyone shed any light? It will be greatly appreciated!

Guest Captain Barfbag

Did you just "turn the computer off" or did you go through an orderly shutdown? Long ago, Windows was simpler and actually worked better if you just cycled power on it every now and then. Now, though, it does some cleanup during the shutdown cycle in preparation for the next time up. I've got a CH Yoke and Pedals (serial port through the sound card) running XP with the CH driver they put out six months or so ago. It works just fine. These are older yoke and pedals I had on my old 133, but they've served me well on the 1.8 gig Pentium.Are you using USB or Serial? One thing to check for Serial would be the gameport jumpers, particularly if you are plugging into the soundcard or if you have a dedicated gameport card. You may have multiple gameports, and the system could be selecting the wrong one and not finding the joystick after a re-boot.

I'm talking serial port here, in Device Manager, under:Sound, Video & Game Controllers (This is what I have) Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value (WDM) Gameport for Creative SB LiveIf I install the Microsoft USB Joystick, there will also appear: HID Game Controller (or something like this)(but then I remove this to make room for the Virtual Pilot).I've shut down several times, and rebooted several times also, cleaned out the registry (Joystick), reinstalled the drivers and then gone into Control Panel to add Virtual Pilot Pro with pedals, in # 1 position, and it still shows that is not connected. Go figure this one out!

Guest outtatimeiii

You need that HID Game controller, thats likely why its not working. Thats part of a USB controller, and it needs it to function correctly.

Walter,You are talking about a Serial port; now I wonder what you mean ..Do you connect the Yoke+pedals to your Soundblaster's gamecontroller port ??If so: that's NOT a Serial port, but a Gameport. (The 9/25 pin COM port is a Serial port).Now back to your problem:1. Do you have a second gameport on your PC (i.e. as part of on-board AC97 sound chip? If so, make sure it is disabled in the BIOS.2. If you have the CH driver installed: make sure it has Controller id 1 in the Game Controller menu.If still not OK:In the Gamecontroller menu, remove all controllers (make the list empty).Now, add your yoke as a standard 2-axis 2button controller from the list (just to test the Connected state)DO you now still have problems with the NotConnected message ??If OK now, then it must be a problem with your ME setup or CH driver.If you still have Connected problems, I suspect a hardware problem with your yoke (faulty potmeter, loose wire, or alike).Rob

You might want to check pin number one on your joystick as well as any tarnish or whatever on the matching pin on the LIVE gameport. Pin number one is the pick-up ID pin to let Windows know that it is in the gameport. I am running W98SE with all the current updates.Also...it could be just an issue with the single joystick.I have:1.. MS Force Feedback Joystick2.. MS standard version of the above3.. MS game padALL work and are picked up by my systen ***except*** for one, the MS Standard Joystick. The system simply refuses to recognize it. I have tried everything including switching my Creative Live into another PCI slot. Nothing. I think that it is a quirk of the Creative Boards. Just know that you are not alone.Weird, huh?Mitch R.

Problem fixed, thanks guys!The culprit was a cut wire inside of the yoke, soldered it back together, reinstalled everything and presto, works like a charm, you are the best!