Sign in to follow this  

Intercepting Glideslope?

Hi,Can somebody help me with ILS approaches?I have flown a IFR flight into Liverpool Airport EGGP in a 747 following the ATC to maintain an altitude of 2100 and a hdg of 120 for rnwy 090 until i intercept the localizer.I find the localizer and the marker is displayed and can be flown too but i never seem to get the marker for the glideslope if i set it to APR mode it lines up but maintains 2100 ft.Im probably missing something very obvious.Thanks for your HelpMark

Be sure you have your aircraft configured properly well in advance (flaps, wheels, etc.), and above all get your speed DOWN to recommended settings or a little below. If your too fast, you'll fly right through it.Also, you must intercept the glidescope from below it. According to Microsoft, this is a requirement.FS 2002 autopilot takes a little experimentation, alot of patience, and a little practice. Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

I rarely fly the 747, since I am a Dash 8 captain with Meridian VA. However, I am familiar with the procedures and hopefully can help. Typical airliner procedure is to intercept the glideslope from below, then wait for it to center, and begin your final descent. My guess is that you just need to wait a little longer for the glideslope intercept. Typically that can be 8-10 miles out in some cases. It sounds like the autopilot is doing the right thing by holding 2100, as they usually wait for the glideslope to become active before moving to intercept. You just might need to wait. My advice would be to start out about 20 miles out, descend to 2000ish to make sure you are plenty low, hit APR mode, intercept the localizer (which you seem to do just fine), and just let it hold 2000 and wait for the glideslope. Try it a few times w/o ATC so you can be sure to get low enough far enough out. Then go back and try the ATC.Good luck!Marc

Guest groundpounder75

Make sure your radios are tuned correctly. It sounds a bit weird, like something with your avionics because if you can see the localizer marker you should be able to see the glideslope marker as well. Which 747 version are you using? You can also play with the ATC commands. For example, when you get the last heading instruction to intercept the glideslope you can turn to any heading within +/-10 degrees of the commanded heading and ATC won't yell at you for it. Doing so may give you a better chance of performing an autoland with some versions of the 744. The plane will have more time to settle on the localizer. I would check your avionics first. You may not be doing anything wrong but you may having something set up wrong.

Hi,,,im no sure about the app in Liverpool,,,,but maybe its just a localizer approach, not ILS app,,,...maybe thats why...Javier CamposAvA-LaX/AAL251ZOA ARTCC/VATSIM

Guest Captain Barfbag

Check your fuel level, too. When you create a flight FS defaults to full tanks. If you're just taking off and looping back to practice that landing, you've still got almost a full fuel load. I've found that APR works much better when you're down to a third or less.

JosefI think you have his problem there is only an ILS with glideslope on the 27 runway at Liverpool.My guess is he is getting a localiser indication only while approaching onto 09Peter

Thanks for all your great advice and help, it was that there isnt a glideslope on the 090 approach once i set it up for a landing on 270 runway the glideslope indicator was right where it shoudl be...Is there anywhere that documents these non equipped runways? and how do i know the approach without the glideslope? btw i was amazed at the number and quality of repsonses never seen this kind of help in a forum before.Mark. rank-cadet

Localizer only approaches are similar to VOR and NDB approaches in that they are termed "non percision approaches" meaning that there is no glideslope. I do believe that these usually have a minimum descent altitude on the chart, and a sort of step-down profile you should follow at various DME points. Basically you descend to the lited altitude as you reach the points on DME until you get to the minimum descent altitude. You must hold the altitude until you see the runway, then execute a visual landing normally. If you don't see the runway by the time you reach it, you cannot descend below this MDA, but instead must execute a go around. All this information can be found on a Jeppesen/FAA chart. EchoFlight is a great source, although they don't update the freebies anymore, but they don't change that much anyway. There are some tutorials online and I would check some of the links in the AER on avsim. Also I found some good tutorials through Scandanavian VA's site. Don't know the exact link. Sorry I can't provide a specific link but I would first check the AER for some sites and possibly sombody who knows a good site could help you. Have fun!-speedbird