Sign in to follow this  
Guest JonP01

Scenery USA, looks outstanding!

Anyone else tried the download of the sample Scenery USA from the front page of AVSIM.It is fantastic, reminds me a little of Terrascene for FLY!! except much crisper! Anyone know if most of the USA will be covered or only select areas! Sure would like to see my hometown rendered like that! If you have not tried it, do so and be prepared to be pleaseantly surprised!

I think the Aerosoft Australia is operated by the McLean brothers who were doing scenery for FLY so there is a connection here.This 1.5 GB disk space requirment - I wonder if this is for the complete USA. If it were it would be a huge advantage over Terrascene-like sceneries that consume huge amounts of disk space. I haven't download the sample but the night scenery looks amazingly impressive. BTW, since the download is about 8 MB if we knew how much area it covers (roughly) we would know what to expect for much larger areas .... Michael J.

It says right on the main page that it will be for select areas of the US, so Im assuming that will only include the areas that are covered by satellite on sites like Terraserver.Craig

Hi Michael,Yes, you're right. It's the McLean brothers. :-) So it's not a connection, but the actual team. We've reworked our software completely and built many new software tools to get it looking sharp, as well as display scenery for miles into the distance.The 1.5GB, possibly a little less, will be for an area that covers a very large chunk of Boston, a large area to the north and west and all the way down to Cape Cod....and then some.You get roughly another 80 areas the size of the download to fly over. However, we may actually be releasing 2 CD-ROMs in the one pack.The scenery is all 5 metres/pixel and that's why it takes a large amount of disk space. It

The first time I loaded fs after installing this it crashed and said it had a problem with active camera pro.I finally removed the active camera dll-then tried to load boston.It got to 32%-then said a fatal error occured-mod g2d.dll.The third time it did load.Then I tried putting the activecampro.dll back in-sure enough it crashed.It would be great to have them work together.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

It looks impressive to me! The detail at lower altitudes is much clearer than FLY. But to be fair, FLYII has provided some excellent higher altitude satellite scenery, and I havn't yet went up to high with this scenery. Another surprise is the FPS. My year old Athlon 1900XP is running in the mid 20's to low 40's with the default Cessna & very smooth!! And while I was expecting the two or three minutes to load, it didn't seem much longer than most of my other sceneries. BTW---- Geof Applegate mentioned a conflict with Active Camera. Mine worked together with no problem.L.AdamsonAthlon 1900XPGeforce3Ti500512 ram1600*1200*32 resolution

Downloaded the demo and flew a bit the area with the SF-260. I must say it looks pretty good. It really adds realism, probably in large part because of the diversity of the landscape, the way cities and towns are naturally laid out. Sometimes gives you the feel of being really up there. Best viewed at or above 3000'. 3D objects are there. On my so-so machine (1.4, 512, Gf3) with fps locked at 15, there was no significant impact on fps. Some blurries though, but really OK, particularly with the limited visi with WXRE and FSUIPC. Didn't notice any conflict with ActiveCam, but I do not use the outside view. Only glitch (which I'm not sure is related): while on the glidepath to KBOS and cleared by tower I got hit by a jet coming from behind (guess I was exactly on the path...)On the whole, it's great.

Will your scenery conflict with LAGO's Emma Field? The LAGO program warns that third party scenery may cause problems. Also, could you clarify what you mean by the "80 areas"? I got the idea that the the whole, final program is basically the greater Boston area.

Andrew - Congrats on a great system of design...I was wondering if you could post the areas you are modelling on the website? I'm sure everyone who is on the border of a major metropolitan area is curious to find out if they are included in one of the packages...I am personally curious about the area surrounding KPVD, Providence, RI, about 40-50 miles southwest of Boston. And now the wishful thinking questions!!* Will you release the tool used to design this scenery for public use, textures and all? (A payware utility along the lines of TerraScene)...and if not..* Will you take custom requests of areas to render?!Looks like a great product!-Greg

Guest Don_Eliot

Geofa, I installed the scenery last night about midnight because my dialup was only downloading at 1.70Kbs.The first thing I checked was to see if activecam would work. It worked just fine. I did not check the faster computer choice. Just wanted to let you know it is possible so I am sure you can get it working. Don

Geof,I used that option that to. But like somewone else mentioned, I don't use active camera for outside views if that has something to do with it.L.Adamson

Guest PDX Bailey

The Boston sample scenery is even better at dusk. It just takes my breath away! Can hardly wait until it is released.

Guest JonP01

I was surprised that the scenery loads very quickly (only a matter of seconds), especially when the instructions say it takes a few minutes. I thought it hadn't loaded at all, but it had.

Guest Stamatis

Hello Andrew,What is the maximum visibility for this type of scenery?If I am say at FL310, how far ahead will I be able to see your custom scenery before it reverts to default?Stamatis