Sign in to follow this  
Guest ssurjap

Strange Flight with ATC

Guest ssurjap

I'm just curious whether this is true in real life or whether this is another ATC bug in FS 2002:I'm typing this as I'm flying. I filed a flight plan from KJFK to EIDW (Dublin, Ireland) with the following routing:JFK, J225 BOS, J55 SCUPP, J575 YQY. This means that the waypoints are JFK, NEWES, RAALF, PVD, BOS, SCUPP, CANAL, BAXIE, TUSKY, YQI, HIDIG, YHZ, IGTAS, YQY, EIDW.I'm taking off from Runway 31L. As soon as I take off however, FS2002's ATC turns me to 110 with the instruction Resume Own Navigation. To me, this means, as soon as I turn 110, I can turn direct NEWES, which is a course of 065. However, after I complete the turn to 110 and start my turn to 065, ATC tells me to expedite my turn to 110. Ok, I thought, maybe it's because we have to go over water for a while. I accept it, but as soon as Long Island is behind me, I start my turn to the next waypoint, which is PVD (skipping RAALF, which is already behind me). Again, ATC says please expedite my turn to 110. I'm tempted to cancel IFR and go VFR.Is this a bug?

By having JFK as your first way point they are trying to vector you across that vor before the next leg is to be acheived, from experience I think (am not possitive) that you must reach a point within 5 radius miles from each way point before being released to the next.Mitch

I had a similar experience flying a IFR route from KPHX to KDEN. It was a high altitude airways route. As soon as I took off from PHX ATC instructs me to turn to a southerly heading (I forgot the exact heading #) Then ACT instructs me to turn to a easterly heading, but the route that was planned has me going north east. Well I tried to turn to follow my route but ATC instucted me to turn back to the heading they gave me (the easterly heading) So I figured ATC will tell me to turn north sooner or later, but they never did! I was almost near the New Mexico Texas border when I cancelled my flight plan and turned back to get to denver.The next day I flew the route again, but used the low altitude airways route and flight went fine.

Guest Captain Barfbag

This happens frequently when you take off from an airport that has a VOR very close by. The Flight Planner will often include the close VOR in your flightplan. Depending on wind direction, it could mean backtracking just to "touch base" on that waypoint.I've made it a habit to check the first waypoint of any flightplan and delete it if it's too close to my takeoff point.And yes, the JFK VOR at Kennedy is one of those the planner likes to put in for Kennedy departures. It's caught me more than once.

Guest ssurjap

Thanks for all the input. It seems that it's because I was flying a heavy aircraft (777 in this case) because I tried another flight from Kennedy to Boston and it did the same thing to me. Vectored me over the water and never even turned me in towards land. I cancelled the flight (to BOS), tried it in a 737 and they vectored me correctly. Tonight I'm going to try from BOS to EIDW (Direct) in a 777 and see whether they'll vector me all over the place ;).Steven