Sign in to follow this  
ErnieAlston

Buyer Beware, Abacus Releases Another Product

Guest HansGroenewold

Greetings,I just thought I would warn the community that Abacus has once again released another product. Given their track record, think very carefully before making this purchase. The good news is that it's fully compatible with their well received Sky Ranch scenery product from last year. Just kidding about the last part. Best of luck and sympathy to whoever buys it.Sincerely,Hans

I'm just returning from a 15 month layoff from simming, so I'm a bit out of touch. I remember Abacus as a pretty good outfit. Without going into too much detail, what happened? If you prefer, email me at baz@bazilla.net.-Basil

They've more or less stood still where the rest of the world has moved on.In other words, their products look and work exactly the same as those of a year or two ago, while everyone else has gone further to make theirs a lot better (better visuals, panels, documentation, etc.).They've just been overtaken by events. Mechanical quality is still good, but your value for money has gone down.

Guest HansGroenewold

Welcome back Basil, I recall your name because it's a spice and I haven't seen that name in ages, where you been? As far as Abacus goes,I agree. There literally is better freeware available. Over the past couple of years, I bought Flight Deck, Corporate Pilot, and Sky Ranch. All were poor quality and freeware would have done the job better. I'm all for paying for good software and buy quite a bit. However, I never criticize freeware for one reason. Freeware is done by people for the good of the community using their own time. When you charge for a product these days, it needs to be of good value, good quality , and better than what the competition has or you'll get roasted.Bottom line, what Abacus charges money for, you can get for free.Sincerely,Hans

Guest Milton

I am appalled by these kinds of posts.Slamming a legitimate company, a product and all the involved fellow human beings and fellow hobbyists who worked hard to bring a product to market because it does not meet your expectations, yet you haven't even seen it?What gives anyone the right to treat other hobbyists this way? These inappropriate posts do a lot of damage to the hobby and spread devisiveness in the community. Could you please post some of your work so we can see how aircraft really need to be built?Milton

Guest Skedflyer

Ahh Milton, if they were freeware I don't think anyone would say that, but they profit from these product that haven't evolved since fs98, these are ppl who bought the product and posted a very mature responce, I don't know how you can say what you said.

Guest HansGroenewold

Milton,Reread my post, you're wrong. First of all, I consider myself to be a responsible member of this forum. I do not engage in flaming or slamming or whatever you want to call it. I don't criticize freeware whatsoever and have expressed my appreciation to those people on more than one occasion, read my previous posts if you don't believe me. That they do that in their free time in very commendable. I think it's very discouraging to those folks when they do that and then they get to hear complaints about their efforts, but that's a whole separate story. I also support the legitimate companies by purchasing their software. I don't profess to be a aircraft designer, don't want to be, and expressed my appreciation and gratitude for those who are. I have bought three of Abacus' previous products so I do some have experience with this company. Have you bought any of their products, if so, which ones were they? I don't see me "slamming" my fellow hobbyists at all, just a company that produces substandard products. Abacus has weaseled about a good hundred bucks out of me with product advertising that didn't deliver.Like my post says, if you charge for a product these days, it has to be good or you'll get roasted. Don't kill the messenger, I'm just telling it like it is. That Stratotanker will be a guaranteed flop.Sorry, you got offended.Sincerely,Hans

Guest Milton

Guys, I understand your points. I really think however that headlines like that belong to Public Health and Safety concerns, con games, and intent to bilk the consumer.I thought that jwenting said it well. :-)LOL I'll go back to designing and stay out of the forums. I'm happier that way.Enjoy your weekend.Milton

You're condemning a product you've never even seen based on your opinions of previous products released by the same company.That's downright wrong of course. If all products of a company are the same quality than why are people so enthousiastic about FSDS?Or to take another company which shall remain nameless, why are they enthousiastic about a certain widebody released in the past but everyone seems to consider a piece of scenery released by that same company to be not worth the CD it's burned on?Or yet another company that has a track record of excellent military jet addons releases a three engined airliner that has people up in arms because they're so disappointed?By your definition none of those scenarios could exist yet they do.So who are you to condemn a product based on your opinion of previous products by that company?>edit, fixed typo

LOLWell I`ve just looked at the screenshots and I would have to be very hard up for a 135 indeed to pony up a ten spot for that montrosity.Just the wingroot alone puts me off not to mention the stealth brain buckets that the crew is wearing instead of headsets.No I`m not a designer but I know what what I like and this ain`t it.No I won`t even mention the paint job as I don`t want to rip this product any further.Oh I see that this is part of their premium collection.Two centsJentwing,I love reading your posts as they always seem to make excuses for shoddy payware and am sure that they help the developers to strive to do better.Well I guess you have the money to ##### away on everything that comes down the pike but remember that some folks don`t and when they have a couple of bucks to spare it does`nt seem unreasonable to expect the software to be reletivly bugfree and useable on release.

I downloaded the free trial KC135 Tanker because the preview shots looked nice, but when I tried her out I thought I was looking at a FS98 plane. I quickly deleted it from my Fs folder. The vapor trails did not appear realistic and the lines on the plane did not even line up properly. Just for the fun I than flew the same version of the HFG group which looks much better.

Guest HansGroenewold

Sorry, duplicate post

Guest HansGroenewold

Jwenting,I don't recall saying the payware was perfect, now did I? As far as who am I to condemn a product I haven't even tried yet? I'd say three poor products from the same company is sufficient experience to not try a fourth time. Enough said, see ya.Sincerely,Hans

Guest JonP01

I have their EZ-Landmark program and I have to say I like it very much. It helps me "get my bearings" off my Visual Terminal Charts (the equaivalent of a Sectional in the US) when trying perform true VFR flights over a less than perfectly realistic terrain. That said, it was expensive at around $56 AUD, but then again at least half my add-ons are worse value again, although all are very good and I would not be without them.I guess some of it comes down to the actual developer. My understanding is ABACUS is mainly a publisher / distributor and contracts out the actual development work. I certainly have never seen an ABACUS aircraft that I would personally wish to purchase, but I feel their utilities are worth a look. ABACUS also have a distinct marketing advantage, imo, where you can try many of their products in demo mode before buying. So, unlike many other add-ons I have purchased, I have never been disappointed with an ABACUS product that I purchased after trialing it.

Guest HansGroenewold

Greetings,I'd like to clarify what I said about Abacus' products when I posted the first message. This was brought to my attention after talking to a friend who's had exposure to Abacus' other products. Abacus makes very good utility programs but their end user products such as scenery and aircraft are not up to currents standards. The end user products was what I was basing my opinion on. So if anyone at Abacus is reading this, I apologize. I apologize for creating the impression that all your products are substandard. From what I've heard and read here, the utilities you produce are very good, although I've had no exposure to those. However,I based my opinion on your end user products such as aircraft and scenery, which I still believe to be substandard. I stand corrected and once again, I apologize.Sincerely,Hans