Sign in to follow this  
Guest Captain Barfbag

ATC Cancels IFR Flightplan

Lately, I seem to be having a problem with ATC cancelling my IFR flight plan because it thinks I am not at my assigned flight level.While climbing to flight level 27000ft, ATC says "please exepedite your climb to FL 27000". After reaching FL2700" ATC repeats "please expedite your climb to FL 27000. I am maintaining 27000ft., ATC repeats again. I am already at my assigned flight level and ATC cancels my IFR flight plan!!!!If I wanted to fly VFR, I would not have filed a IFR flight plan.This has happened the last three times I flew. It is pissing me off!! Any ideas as to why this is happening?Thanks

Do you reset your altimeter to 29.92/1013 when passing through 18000ft?If not, you're not at the altitude assigned in your plan and ATC will scream at you.

Guest Captain Barfbag

I've seen this, too. Typically, I'm flying with FS Meteo, using a downloaded file so as not to anger the ladies of the household by tying up the phone. The first thing I do is hit the B key to make sure I've got the right setting, but usually that doesn't help. The previous post indicates that I should reset my barometer to standard sea level as I pass through 18000. Is this true? If so, is this a real-world thing to do, or is it because "Bill Gates says we have to?"What I usually do in this case is just shrug and alter my altitude by the few hundred feet requested.Incidentally, I notice that this happens to AI aircraft, too. I hear the same dialog going on between ATC and them.

In response to your question, all aircraft operating in class A airspace, above 18,000 ft., must have an open IFR flight plan. Flight levels are determined by heading, west and south at even flight levels, east and north at odd flight levels with every one using the standard altimeter setting of 29.92. This is real world,and not just FS2K2.

Guest Captain Barfbag

The real world has altimeters that you can set to any desired value. Not all aircraft/panels in FS2K2 have the ability to arbitrarily set a value into the altimeter - just the B key which sets it to the ATC value. How to I get back to 29.92 on, for example, the default 737?