Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ron Freimuth

Is there a guage for Icing conditions

After proving to myself that FS2002 models airframe icing (I flew through heavy iciing conditions to near stall, and then discovered the IceAccum=2.67 in the saved flight file. Gosh I hope that isn't inches! ;)Anyway, FS2002 does not model visual changes to the airframe for Icing conditions (at least not for the KingAir). So is there a downloadable guage, or other indicator that can be used to tell how much if any ice you have accumulated so you know to deploy the icing boots, or anti-ice system? Using it all the time reduces AirSpeed, and increases fuel consomption and is not realistic.Even using it in suspected icing conditions isn't particularly realistic.

The answer is a simple no! I only heard guys discussing on the panelforum about icingtextures on the windshields...Though the idea is very nice....Rob "Holland&Holland" de VriesFor accurate and custom made ambient and nature sounds(sets) for Lago's FSSoundscape go to:"What Is It Like to See with Your Ears"

RobdeVries.jpg

Guest Ron Freimuth

>After proving to myself that FS2002 models airframe icing (I >flew through heavy iciing conditions to near stall, and then >discovered the IceAccum=2.67 in the saved flight file. Gosh >I hope that isn't inches! ;) >>Anyway, FS2002 does not model visual changes to the airframe >for Icing conditions (at least not for the KingAir). So is >there a downloadable guage, or other indicator that can be >used to tell how much if any ice you have accumulated so you >know to deploy the icing boots, or anti-ice system? Recent versions of AFSD (in AVSIM lib) display ICE, the increase in airframe weight beyond the sum of the normal components. However, Ice weight is not the problem (it is rather small). It's the decrease in Lift that increases Induced Drag that is the main problem. One can see this in the Main 'Aerodynamics' Window of AFSD, "L/D" (normally > 10) will drop below the norm for current speed and weight. AoA will be higher than normal when the wing's Lift is damaged by ice. Even though the Baron 58 has a "wing deice" switch, it has no effect. Guess MS just didn't get to making it work. ;( Prop Efficiency also drops when it gets iced, and the "Engine" Window displays Prop Efficiency. If prop anti-ice is working one can see prop efficiency rise when it is turned On. Carb icing decreases HP, one can also monitor that on the AFSD "Engine" window. AFSD requires a recent FSUIPC, and is not a gauge. So, on has ot run FS2K in a Window if he is too see AFSD. However, it is tall and narrow, so doesn't take up a lot of screen. You can fly in a FS window and Alt-Tab to AFSD only when needed. Ron