Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

Weather generation programs, which one you use and why

I presently use FSMeteo version 5.1, and have been thinking about upgrading to either 5.2 or a new program altogether. I have been looking at Active Sky and weather center.I posted a similar post in the RC forum and only got a few responses(not to mention chastised for spelling whether instead of weather, but hey no biggy, I use the former spelling more than the later in everyday life).What are users thoughts on the Active Sky and Weather center programsThanks for any feedback on this.Scott....

I use FSMETEO 5.2 and really like it. In Chicago, it looks in FS2002 like it does right out my window. You can also use the VATSIM weather so you have the same the controllers think you do. It also includes plenty of options for how you download the METAR and the overall qulity in FS is excellent. I also like how I can print out weather for my entire FS2002 flight plan on one page. Active Sky is supposed to be good too. The one thing they have that I haven't noticed in FSMETEO is wake turbulence. That's not a big deal though. I actually was thinking of going to ActiveSky since it's not that much money, but you know how they say: "you get what you pay for." I just hope that's not true in this case. -Marc

>they say: "you get what you pay for." I just hope that's >not true in this case. >>-Marc It often is true but less often for software products. Active Sky stands out (in my opinion) not because it has wake turbulence but because it attempts to give you smooth weather transitions. Nothing ruins for me weather more than sudden clear/overcast switches.Michael J.

It must be something with the RC crowd and chastising. Perhaps have become used to it from Doug. I use Active Sky, but never used FSMeteo. I'm very pleased with it, specially after the latest release. Yesterday I was flying and noticed clouds behind me, but clear sky ahead. I don't recalll seing that in default FS Wx. Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

I can't speak for FS Meteo, as I've never used it, but I've been involved in beta-testing ActiveSky from the transition from freeware to payware. Not only did I like all the features, such as wake turbulence , smooth cloud transiton etc., but I particularly liked the way Damian addresses reported bugs and user concerns very quickly (at times it was unbelievably fast - I would shut down FS after completing a flight with the newest beta, ready to report an issue I discovered, just to find that there was already a new version addressing that issue - at times it seemed like a race, like 'who gets to report the bug first before it's fixed'). All in all, my experience with it is very positive, it runs smooth and gives accurate weather, and if for some reason it doesn't on your system, in all likelihood it will be fixed in no time.Cheers,Gosta. http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

I'll own both but now I'm only using active sky great program :-)Since active sky a whole other sky and wake turbulence / TAF and all the other great features...It need to grow a little bit more mature and when the winds a loft for Europe I'll think this one will be one of the best weather generator around...Great support form Damian and he is working on the next release with winds aloft for Europe :-)Go for it offline or online it works great :-) Andr

André