Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

How a handheld pda becomes a 10g multifunction

Guest JonP01

That front page would have Gustav Holst writhing in his grave. I'll stick with the William Steinberg version :-lol

GeofAI am considering getting AWM and the necessary hardware to go wireless. Was the ipaq 3975 available when you got your 3950? Is there any reason to stay away from the 3975 with bluetooth built in?

No the 3975 was not available.I think I would look at price-it costs about $30 for an expansion sleeve and $60 for the bluetooth cf card. So for $90 you can add bluetooth to the 3950.I would prefer the built in of the 3950, but I understand they may go for much more than this difference.By the way-the price for the wireless gps just dropped $30 since I got it-they can be had now for $275.http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod...oth%20gps%5C%22http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Guest outtatimeiii

Whoa, very cool LOL. I was thinking about just getting a beater 486 system to do stuff like that while I fly in FS2002 (I don't like going out of the game to do stuff, and my Athlon 1.2GHz system dont really have the power to multitask FS2002 well).I was thinking of getting a ipaq for college sometime in place of my always trusty TI-83 Plus (Sure, its a graphing calc, but it works quite well on a lot of other stuff too, espically when I know Z80 assembly :) ).

Guest JonP01

Geof,I'm interested about how you get the graphic chart interface to appear on the Ipaq, as you say you are using the OziExplorer format. I'm using an Australian real-world flight planner called AirNav VFR. This can spit out GPS waypoints in OziExplorer format. I've written a utility to convert this into FS2002 format, so I can upload into the FS2002 GPS. However according to my real world flight planner, if I were to upload into a Garmin or Magellan GPS then I would apparently need to scan the image of the chart I am using into the GPS (but I don't have a real GPS to try this out on). So is this Ipac working as a combination flight planner program AND GPS?Also I'm just wondering what the benefits are of using this gpsout utility compared to the FS2002 gps (pardon my ignorance in this matter).btw, the "musak" wasn't directly on your link (of course). I just sometimes have a bad habit of "surfing" through to front pages of lower-level links I am given :-)

Guest Twister

Hello Geoff !You've totally convinced me - I am waiting for the new generation of PDA's (hopefully with a new bus to take full advantage of the X-scale processor).The link you provided clearly shows what can be done with a PDA in the cockpit - it's awesome !Take careTwister

The gpsout utility fools your device into thinking that fs is providing the gps signal-you do not need a gps.It works great for handhelds-as you place your unit into the cradle-as soon as you start fs it thinks it is attached to a gps and starts working.Just to be clear-the ipaq is a handheld computer-you can attach a gps to it to make it work like a gps unit. In this case, we are letting fs fool the ipaq into thinking it is hooked to a gps.All of the programs like you mention allow you to put any kind of chart in. YOu just have to put the scanned chart into the program and "calibrate" it-tell it a few long.lat points-then the program figures the rest out. In the case of Ozieexplorer a lot of sites like aeroplanner.com already have scanned charts you can download for free (with a membership) that are ready to go.The fs gps-while a hob gobble of everything isn't a real gps.The advantage to this unit besides having and outside display, is that it is a real unit-and you can practice with it with fs.Hope that answers your question.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg

Can you use that for real world navigation, that entire set up?Paul MeyerMorris C09

Guest tcable

I have the anywhere map suite- in the real world it's awesome. I'll never be lost again- ever :) MAkes night flying in desolate areas much easier, but it is not approved for IFR there it is an SA tool only, but who cares :) Tim

Guest UweR

Geof, you said GPSout works with the PDA in the cradle, does it have to be a serial cradle, or will a USB cradle work as well? I use a Casio Cassiopeia with a GPS receiver now, but hooking it to FS2002 might be worth a try...Best Regards, Uwe

It is a little quirky-but what I found works is this.Leave the usb connection on-and also connect the serial cable at the same time (my cradle at least has both).On activesync-disconnect the serial cable-e.g. it is plugged in but active sync doesn't see it.A serial cable from my understanding is necessary to make it run.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg