Sign in to follow this  
Guest SoarPics

Can FS2002 ruin a CPU if used during a session exceedin

Hello guys,A computer technitian told me that he read somewhere that if we run FS2002 for long periods like 4 hours consecutively (sometimes I find this short), we can diminish the life expectancy of the CPU considerably.What about it guys, anyone, please?Flatspin_Fumble

Guest ssurjap

In what way can it ruin it? I've used my computer running FS2k2 for over 5 hours (doing runs like KBFI-KJFK and KJFK-KBFI) and my comp has had no problems running it or other apps. I notice it slows down a bit because of the computing it has to do, but the vid card should take some load off the cpu. I'm running P4 1.6 GHz.Steven

Guest JonP01

I suppose that same technician tells you too much of you-know-what makes you go blind, or that having any fat in your diet gives you a heart-attack.What shortens the life of computer components is the turning on and off cycles more than anything else. Additionally, so long as the CPU temperature is kept normal with proper cooling, there is very little "wear" indeed, so long as the temperature remains fairly stable.So long as your CPU and casing are properly cooled you really have little to worry about. In this instance, your CPU will be well and truly passed it's use-by date performance-wise before it is on it's last legs electronics-wise.

Guest outtatimeiii

Nope, not at all LOL. I even had FS2002 running on autopilot for 16 hours straight one time. Left it on all night, and left it running while I went to college, just turned off the speakers and monitor and walked away. I also made Hypersnap DX save a screenshot of my progress every 30 sec (made a cool movie out of it too :) ).FS2002 won't cause any harm to your comp if you run it during long periods. Didn't seem to hurt my comp any when I left it on for 17 hours straight.

Urban legend.Some people believe that CPUs will wear out more quickly if used at high loads for extended periods.This is simply not true (of modern CPUs, might have once been true in the stone age) if the CPU is properly cooled (an overheated CPU running at high loads could fail at any moment, in which case 4 seconds can be too much).I've personally ran FS for up to 16 hours at a time with no ill effects (and other heavy applications like 3D rendering programs for up to 48 hours).

Running CPU-intensive applications such as FS can cause the processor to run quite hot, which could cause damage. However, the cooling provided by the manufacturer is usually adequate, and provided that you installed everything in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations you should't run into any problems at all. Also, most modern motherboards provide an overheating protection in the BIOS, which will shut down your computer if the CPU temperature becomes critical. So, unless you've done some tweaking and overclocking without installing adequate additional cooling, you'll have no problem - as someone else said here, your CPU will be outdated long before it's worn out...Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

The only life expectancy that is shortened by extended use of FS is mine !"Too much sittin front that puter gonna kill ya" - grandmaCheers,Roger

Yah."you'll get square eyes looking at that screen all day"."reading in low light is bad for the eyes".Only thing I get from using a computer all day is dehydration because I forget to eat and drink :-lol

Guest Dominik Mann

*LOL* I hear ya, man :-lol ...Seriously, I, too, have been running FS over a span of several hours in the past, as when doing long hauls from Europe to the western coast of North America, and even though I usually used time acceleration for those flights I never had any problems that might have been attributed to CPU heating. When I purchased my current processor (Athlon 1.4 GHz) I explicitly asked for a suitable cooling fan at the shop (since some types appear to be tailored specifically to AMD or Intel CPUs), and have had no thermal problems whatsoever. I may be upgrading to an Athlon XP around March, and I will, of course, take care to get hold of an adequate fan for this one, too.

Guest Matt Johnson

Well... if you were to run FS2002 for four hours on a CPU with no cooling whatsoever... well, firstly I'd be impressed that it got that far, and secondly you'd have a very dead CPU and motherboard. ;-)The person who told you this is reciting urban legend which has no basis in fact.--M

Guest outtatimeiii

LOL my old 486DX used to be able to run FS98 (at like 2-5 fps max, but hey, it ran LOL) for hours on end without ANY sort of fan/heatsink. Although back then, the CPU's could take a lot more heat abuse than what they do now. That old 486 is still running to this day without a heatsink, although its rarely used now LOL.