Sign in to follow this  

Question about PSS Dash 8 sounds...

Hello everyone, I'm seriously considering purchasing the PSS Dash 8 package, but I'm a little skeptical of the sounds. I've never heard them, and I'd like to know what everyone in general thinks about them. I know there are excellent quality sound sets for jets and such, but for some reason, when it comes to recreating turboprop sounds for a particular aircraft, the sound packages don't seem to measure up. That's just my opinion in previous experiences with turboprop sound sets. Can anyone give me their opinion on the sounds? Thanks!George

Hi George,The PSS DHC-8 sounds are pretty basic. They're fine, sure, but they don't really sound like a Dash-8. I'd probably be saying that they were excellent if I hadn't heard the sounds in Aleksiy Frolov's Dash-8. You want realistic turboprop sounds, that's the one to get. It'll knock your socks off.See ya,Greghttp://www3.sympatico.ca/gregory.moffatt/DHC-8_profile.jpg

I am interested in same! I have heard and seen a lot of good regarding the PSS Dash, but I too am interested in how the sounds measure up. I was really anxious to purchase this plane when it first came out, but I was really curious how the sounds were compared to Oleksiy Frolov's sounds for his Dash 8 (which IMHO, are the best Dash 8 sounds around...to date!) There's something about that distinctive rumble when I apply full throttle on takeoff that makes my hair stand on end. Or at least, what's left of it! ;-) Looks and accurate flight models are among my top choices, however, if the package doesn't have accurate sounds, it's almost a turn off for me. It kind of takes the "reality" out of it so to speak. I am in no way doubting Mike Hambly's sounds cause he is the true "Sound Guru" for Flight Sim. But there's just something extra that Oleksiy did with his that makes it that much more "real". The change in pitch (sound) when you pull back on the condition levers makes you feel like you are actually in the real thing. Don't know if the PSS' Dash does this, but it really adds so much to the immersion factor. I may "sound" a bit picky here, bit sounds are a big item for me, so if someone could compare the sounds of the PSS Dash to Oleksiy's sounds, I would very much appreciate it! It would definitely help make up my mind of purchasing the PSS Dash or not.Best regards, and thanks for any input!Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Gord, Used both planes extensively and would have to give the edge to Oleksiy's sounds, primarily for the reasons you mention, in particular, the changes in sound levels and pitch when the condition levers are moved. I don't really notice any pitch change with the PSS sounds, just a volume change...so I'd give Oleksiy's sounds the nod, they're the best I've ever heard for a turboprop. PSS panel clarity is up to its usual superb standards. External models outstanding, systems modelling very good, flight model very good. Having a basic FMS is also a great feature. I understand Oleksiy is working on one. Also, Oleksiy's flight model feels excellent to me (the throttle/condition lever mix is a bit tempermental for my hardware, anyway)...the panel is difficult to read even with some of the changes some users have made. They are both outstanding Dash8 aircraft but on the sounds nearly all give O's the edge, in fact some are trying to alias those sounds to the PSS model.regards,

Thanks for your input Chris! Perhaps I'll wait it out til Oleksiy releases the FMS version of his Dash. Until then, I think I am quite content with his fabulous freeware version of the Dash 8-300. It is a superb aircraft! And to think, he did all this on his own!! Kudos to ya Oleksiy! And congrats to PSS on a wonderful job on their version too. Maybe I will break down and purchase their rendition sometime soon!Best regards,Gord NoseworthyNewfoundland, Canada (CYYT)

Guest Boone

The PSS Dash 8 is, for me, the best plane yet for FS2K2. From the model itself to the feeling of flight / flight dynamics to the sounds and vitual cockpit, it is without doubt top of the heap. Now, I personally like to fly inside the cockpit and to look around from the inside out. This PSS Dash 8's virtual cockpit is essentially amazing. The sounds inside this 'office' are precisely what you would expect. Turn your head to the left and the sound of the engine is louder, not too loud, but loud enough to let you know only a few feet and a thin layer of glass separates you from it. What more do you need while the world passes by beneath you at 11,000 ft?My budget is small and this is the best purchase yet for FS2K2. Sounds and all!Regards, Boone

Guest Deeks

The sounds for PSS' are taken from a 'Q' series not a regular 300 which is why the sounds from Oleksiy's are louder and sound more akin to what you think a turboprop should sound like.

Hey Guys !Deeks is correct! Mike modeled the Q series sounds exactly the same as in the real aircraft. I know because I have flown in one including the flight deck. You should not hesitate buying this package. It is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! I talked to Mike Hambly a while back on the forum and he is very busy, but you never know, he might find the time to make up a sound set for the basic 300. However if you fly the "Q" model it is almost exact if you are looking for realism . Buy it, you will not be dissappointed!RegardsWayne