Sign in to follow this  

Thermal Grease/Paste Usage Report ...

Hey everybody, I wanted to pass on my experience in using a THERMAL COMPOUND (Paste/Grease) that is placed as a thin layer between the surfaces of the heat slug on top of your CPU and the cooler you (hopefully) have installed. The product that I am referring to is from a company called Arctic Silver. The actual product I used is called Arctic ALUMINA. This particular Thermal Grease has three micro sizes of aluminum particulate that when applied to both heat conducting surfaces of your CPU and Cooler/Fan will fill in all the

Guest Ken Meier

Mitch,The best news is that it continues to work that well. After 7 months of applying I am still running about the same as you. No other compound has even come close and I usually need to pull the fan and re-apply well before now. Definately worth the money. (AMD 2000+)Ken

Ken, did you use the Alumina, or did you go for the Silver III?Cheers!Mitch

Guest JonP01

I actually switched over from Arctic Silver to Artic Alumina around 18 months ago because I personally prefer the working consistency of the Alumina product. I didn't experience any difference in performance between the two products, but then again I always run my equipment at stock speed. I concur the product continues to perform well over a long period, as I never noticed any increase in temperatures over time.Of course they also make an adhesive version as well for GPU / chipset and that has the advantage of not being electrically conductive. Unlike the Silver version of the product.

Guest Ken Meier

I used the Silver III. It is the one the dealer had and recommened. I remember it being hard to let go the extra money, but I am sure glad I did and you get enough in a tube to last many upgrades.Ken

Guest PaulL01

Hi Mitch,I personally prefer the Arctic SilverIII over the Alumina product.The Alumina shines for applications where it is applied to normal stock machined surfaces as these have just as you stated are very uneven in contact area.For the best results having the Heatsink ground and polished (4000Grt is mirror on copper)on a 100% flat machined ground surface is key, followed by a very even thinly applied Thermal paste, the ArcticSilverIII has a high silver content (70%of 99% pure silver combined with Boron Nitride which does a far better job of transferring the heat than the Aluminum/Boron Nitride when in optimal applications.I use the ArcticSilver on Both the CPU as well as the GPU.The other Pro & cons are the that the Silver product can conduct electricity in certain situations so caution in its use is mandatory where as the Alumina product acts more as an insulator than anything else.Both are great products and each is suited better for different applications.

Hi Guys!Yes..I'm totally sold now on the usage of Thermal Grease. I now won't run without it. My CPU temp has actually gone down another notch (as they said it would) since the original application, and my readings are in a CLOSED case!!!!!!I have already treated my music computer (a P266 Mhz).Now a question...which product should you use on a **Credit Card**, ROTFLMBO! :)))) Sheesh....(tears in the eyes....lololololol) At what temperature (from buying computer stuff) does plastic start to smoulder? Would a Cooler Fan/Heatsink help? Would that unit make for a wallet hard to carry around? Questions....questions....sigh.... Should I include a silver-oxide battery with the unit? Huh, huh?Hey...should I rush out and place a patent on Mitch Robbin's 'Credit Card Cooler' adapter....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Who wants to be the first to place an order...huh? I will have them in stock tomorrow.......Cheers!Mitch R.