Sign in to follow this  

Going backward with Nvidia drivers

I have a GeForece 4 Card and the NVidia drivers that come with the cardare 40.72. I wish to use the 30.82 drivers but when i go to install it itwon't detect the card. How can I go "backward: on a driver like this?Any help anywhere?ThanksDarryl

Im not sure when those drivers were released, but its possible they were out before the official release of the GeForce4. If thats the case, the 30.xx drivers dont know what card you have, so youll probably be better off sticking with 40.xx and above.CraigP.S. Why would you want to go back? Almost every time a new driver pack is released, it usually means increased performance over the last version. I would say without hesitation that the 40.xx series is a huge improvement over the 30.xx series. Just asking.

For me switching to 40.xx meant a very bad decrease in visuals.All my reflections were gone, animated textures too. They all showed as randomly coloured blobs (usually a mix of the colours that should have been shown).

Hello sir,To do this, go to Nvidia's web site and type '30.82' in the search box and click go. If you are running XP/2000, click the first link. For NT/98/ME, click the second link and download. Good choice in going back, since the 40.72 drivers have had a few problems. They may just be a bit early...Regards,Marc

Guest SoarPics

You should be able to uninstall the drivers just as you would any other program. Use the "Add/Remove" function within the Windows Control Panel. Just to be thorough, then reboot and you should come up in Standard VGA mode (ugly). Install the new drivers per their instructions(the 30.82's use an executable... easy stuff), and you're good to go.You don't mention what OS you're using, but I use the Detonator Destroyer to cleanse the registry. DD does not yet work with XP, only 98SE and ME.More info here:http://www.guru3d.com/detonator-destroyer/Hope this helps,

Another alternative is to move up to the 42.01's. I too had problems with the 40.72's and went back to 30.82 drivers. I subsequently tried the 42.01's when I saw them recommended and must say that they have been rock solid and for me, delivered improved visuals for the same fps count.