Sign in to follow this  
Guest lbb

Three INS questions

Guest lbb

As far as the first point is concerned: I just made the flight EGLL-KJFK, this time with the waypoints in normal order from 1 to 9 and the same happens: on the ground the distance given for 1-2 is actually the distance 0-2.In flight after updating the "old" waypoints 1 and 2 with new ones this problem does not occur. Well, it's no big deal anyway.Leo Bakker

Guest jase439

I can also confirm this behavior. The distance reported for 1-2 is indeed the same as 0-2. However, if you choose 2-1, you will get the correct result.Can PSS confirm?

Guest lbb

Hi guys,Yesterday I made another flight on BA002, using the real world Concorde flightplan that (briefly?) appeared on this forum.It actually numbers the waypoints and for some reason the first waypoint is number 5. So I used that as a starting point and inserted all waypoints up to #4. Now, for some reason when checking the distances between the waypoints the distance for 1-2 was off and after checking and double-checking I found that it gave me the distance 0-2. Oddly enough, when by mistake I put 2-1 in it gave the right distance. It didn't cause any problems and it is no big deal, but I did wonder what could have caused this?Also, out of curiosity: on this flightplan it explicitly says to "load waypoints 5-1 MANUALLY" but thereafter at some points there is a note to tell the crew that now they must load segment 21, 22 and finally 23. Is that referring to a fixed portion of the flight plan that can be loaded all at once, rather than inserting waypoint by waypoint manually? (If yes, I promise I won't ask for its implementation :-) I'm just curious about RW operations.)And finally, the DSRTK indication is true, the HDG is also true, but the actual present TK is magnetic. I find that a slightly confusing use of the word TK. Can anyone enlighten me on why it was chosen to present the information this way?Thanks,Leo Bakker

Guest Phoenix_7

just tried and all seems ok0 is the current pos1 is first wayointset mode to dist/timepress wpt chgenter 0 then 1 for from 0 to 1shows correct distanceJohn PSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Guest lbb

Hi John,We agree :-)However, what we're saying is that on the ground if you next enter a 2, so that the panel shows "12" it gives a distance that is actually the distance for "02". Interestingly, if next you enter a 1 so that the panel shows "21" it will give the correct distance.Leo Bakker

Guest jase439

John,Please retry your test by entering TWO waypoints into the INS and compare the distance between the first and second. You will find the results to be as described here.J

Guest Phoenix_7

the proper setup is this, it seems to solve the problemposition '0' is your startup (align) positionposition '1' is entered the same as '0'so when you check dist/time 0 to 1 you get 0.0 distthen enter your first flight waypoint as '2'John PSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Guest kx

Hi,as John wrote, entering 1st waypoint the same as waypoint 0 and start the route at waypoint 2 is the normal way on concorde.Programming the INS, waypoint 1 should everytime the current parking position. Once the INS is aligned, you can test if it is correct done by checking the distance between wp0 and wp1 - it should be 0. That

Guest jgcomp

These conversations have enlightened my understanding of this matter a great deal and I am grateful to all of you seasoned pilots for teaching profane guys like me. One question comes to mind though: How do you "align" the INS on the PSS Concorde? Or is alignment done automatically when you open the CDU. Thanks for your time.Jean-Guy

Guest lbb

Just in case anyone else is interested in my second question about loading parts of the flightplan: on the ITVV video I noticed that indeed parts of the flightplan are in the memory of the INS and can be loaded by inserting their flight plan segment number.Leo Bakker

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.