Sign in to follow this  
drdickie

Concorde take-off problems: engine shutdown around V1

My default flight is the PMDG 737NG. I then choose the Concorde, set everything according to the PSSconcorde_3 tutorial, and attempt a take-off. Everything looks all right until V1, the take-off monitor lights go green for a few seconds, and then the engines shutdown. Of course, I crash and FS9 resets. If I then attempt another takeoff after using the same paramters, it is successful.What am I missing in the setup that causes the engines to shutdown around V1?I have tried resetting the flight again before takeoff but that does not seem to solve the problem. The only solution I have found is to immediately press F4 again as soon as the engines begin to shutdown.Thanks.

Dick Parker in Northeast Ohio USA

Windows 10 64-bit | Nvidia GTX 1080 | ORBX | P3D 4.4.16.27077

Guest Phoenix_7

problems can be caused when using non default aircraft as your startup flightwhat happens if you set it back to the original default flightJohn PSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

If I start FS9 with the default C-172 as the startup aircraft, the problem seems to be solved. Thanks!By the way, do you know what the problem is?

I am still experiencing this problem sometimes. What exactly do you mean when you say "use default aircraft". Do you fly them, then reset and choose Concorde? What is your recommended sequence of events?Thanks.

I asked you for your procedure and forgot to give you mine--sorry. My procedure is to start FS9, choose the default C-172 at KSEA from "create a flight", and then "fly now". After start-up on the runway, I choose the Concorde. After entering the cockpit data, I takeoff. The takeoff monitors turn green around 90 kias. Sometimes they stay on (good takeoff), sometimes they go off around V1. If they go off, I immediately press F4 and this usually saves the takeoff. Everything seems to work as advertised once in the air.After reporting my first problem with this, I rebuilt the fs9.cfg file so that I started with the default C-172. This has not made any difference that I can tell.Thanks.

Guest Phoenix_7

after starting FS9from create a flightselect the C-172airport of choiceclick fly nowensure engines are runningavionics are onclick Flight, Saveenter a title of defaultclick 'make this my default flight'exit FSrestart FSat 'create a flightselect Concordeready for takeoffpress Shift+F4 to arm the reheatpress F4 for full thrustJohn PSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Thanks, John. The procedure seems to be working. But, I still keep my finger poised above F4 just in case!Thanks again.

John: I am still having intermittent problems with the engines quitting around V1 in spite of loading the default C-172 first. The TO monitor comes on and then goes off around V1. The only way to save the takeoff is to hit F4 immediately again.I have tried a new approach which seems to work all the time so far. I load the default 747-400, then change to the Concorde, and instead of using F4 for full power, I use the throttle on my joystick (all the way to the stop). This has not failed to work yet although I'm not sure why. I used the default 747 because it has four engines like the Concorde and I figure why not try it--maybe jets get loaded a little differently by FS9.Thanks.

Drdickie,Just a suggestion. Configure FS so it opens at the Create a Flight screen. From there you can either create a new flight with Concorde (and then save it for future use) or load a previously saved flight. I use this system and I've had no engine shutdown problems.Open FS9.CFG and in the STARTUP section enter SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

My FS9 does open with "Create A Flight" and shows the aircraft for the default flight. I still have the problem described in the previous messages.Thanks.

Possibly the differences between our two systems are that you want the engines to be running when you load a saved Concorde flight. I'm happy to start them manually. After that I've never had the shutdown problem you mention.Hope you get things resolved okay.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes, I start with the engines running. Using the manual throttle on my joystick seems to solve the problem, but I don't know why.

Guest lbb

I use both F4 AND slamming my throttle to the max, which mostly works well. (Have you ever seen RW Concorde operations on video? It always strikes me how vigorously they apply full throttle!) Once you apply the A/T it doesn't seem to matter where you hardware throttle is, though. In fact, learned it the hard way in the PMDG737 since at 60 knots or so the A/T goes to ARM and without the throttle in the right place the power will go to idle.Leo Bakker

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.