Sign in to follow this  
Guest Phoenix_7

Standby Inlet Valve Switches

Guest Phoenix_7

this is what the BA specs manual sayseach engine air intake is basically rectangular in cross section with a moveable ramp in he roof and spill doors in the floorhydraulic actuators position the ramp to vary the intake capture area and open the spill door to augment the spill of unwanted airat take off and low speeds and auxiliary inlet vane, intergral with the soill door, provides extra air to the enginethis vane is operated by differential pressure onlyduring operation of the spill door the vane is licked in the closed positiona perforated bleed through the lower surface of the intake aids inlet performance at high mach numbersthe flow through this blled is limited by the exit cross section only and is not mechanically controllednot sure if this is what you were after, but is all I could findJohn PSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Guest jase439

I'm going to go out on a limb and venture a guess that these were probably not modelled in the sim ;^)

Guest jase439

I stand once again in awe :)JPS. Lena really outdid herself on this one, btw. I've never seen a more gifted panel artist. The first time in the VC, it took me a moment to realize I wasn't looking at the 2D panel.

I Think 'J' is asking about the 'Standby Inlet Valves' on the FE fuel panel and not the Aux inlets on the intakes.Here is what BA has to say about the Standby Inlet Valves.STANDBY INLET VALVESSWITCH OPEN - allows fuel from themain trim transfer pipe toenter directly into theappropriate tank.NOTE: During refuelling thestandby inlet valves areused as refueling valvesand controlled by switcheson the refuel panel.As far as being functional, I don't think they are.JohnBoeing 727/737 & Lockheed C-130/L-100 Mechanichttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpg

Guest Phoenix_7

Jasonand yes they are functionalthey allow fuel to be tranfered via the main tranfer feed line directly thru the stanby inlet valvefor example if you have all 4 engines runningset both left hand pumps for 5 and 6 to offmake sure brake is on press F4fuel in tank 1 will decrease as nothing is feeding it via LH pumpsset standby inlet 1 to onset main transfer to rearwardtank 1 will increaseJohn PSS SUPPORTsupport@phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Guest jase439

Ah, those are indeed the valves I am referring to (although I found the discussion about the intake valves illuminating :)! The switches are diagrammed and called out on page 21 (which is the section on the pneumatic and air conditioning systems). I was confused as I thought they were yet another part of the bleed air system.They are, as you say, part of the FE's fuel controls and are not actually described in the manual until page 83 (Fuel System - not surprisingly!). I had not made it far enough into the manual.On a related note, are there online resources with schematics and diagrams for the various aircraft systems? The Systems Manual does provide some diagrams for some systems, but not for all (like the a/c and bleed air systems). I find such diagraming very helpful in understanding such systems (especially when trying to diagnose and correct failures).J

Guest jase439

I have a more general question to this end. There is so much stuff that is modelled in this panel, is it documented anywhere which functionality is NOT modelled (i.e. placebo switches).For instance, on the FE's Cabin Pressure controls, there are switches which allow the FWD and AFT discharge valves to be closed. However, closing these valves appears to do nothing - as the discharge valve position indicator remains unchanged when either of these switches are toggled. These switches are documented in the systems manual. Should one assume that if they are documented in the manual that they are modelled in the sim - and if they are not operational then it is that likely due to 1. user error or 2. a bug (if the latter, should those be reported here)? I love the detail of this panel, and view this as much a 'learning' tool to explore the inner workings of the Concorde, but don't want to burn cycles trying to puzzle out why some switches work where others do not.It seems like the manual does a pretty good job of calling out where the panel's implementation differs from the real concorde, so my instinct is to presume that there are very few placebos here.J

Guest jase439

Page 21 of the System Manual illustrates the Standby Inlet Valves (circled item #9), however no description of their purpose, functionality, or proper use is given in the text.Are these redundant inlets that can be manually opened in the event of failure?Thanks,J

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.